• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Metal. Is it music?

Metal. Is it music?

• Total voters

boomslang

friendly and accessible
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not reading all the back and forth leading up to this page, but metal isn't even that far away from pop music, let alone all music. A lot of metal uses conventional pop structure, 4/4 time and melody. Just because it doesn't always have sung vocals, doesn't mean it isn't music.

Chrysanthe

Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If whether or not metal is music is an actual question...

then I wonder how he feels about this :shock:

MUSIC (according to the definitions given by the Merriam-Webster Dictionary):
a : the science or art of ordering tones or sounds in succession, in combination, and in temporal relationships to produce a composition having unity and continuity
b : vocal, instrumental, or mechanical sounds having rhythm, melody, or harmony

well I am glad music could be considered a science rather than an art, otherwise I don't think my collection of sounds could ever be given the right to be music. Now as for the melody and harmony... well at least it has rhythm.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Of course 'metal' isn't one thing and there is a range of artistry within the genre. It does contain some of the more virtuosic performing. I find it more interesting than quite a few other genres - especially the more commercially beholden ones. I'm not saying I appreciate everything labeled as 'metal', but there are some complex, artistic pieces within that genre.

sonictard

Why everyone must analyze everything, why people just can't say - yes, it is, no it' isnt. One simple sentence.

People must complicate everything. Is it some kind of overly-rationalistic-society syndrome. New diagnosis for DSM.

Yes, metal is music.

This is the one of the reason why:

Null

-
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Why everyone must analyze everything, why people just can't say - yes, it is, no it' isnt. One simple sentence.
Because that wouldn't encourage conversation. I can see why some might consider metal, especially death metal, to simply be noise and therefore no valid form of music. It often lacks rhythm and other stuff that makes music enjoyable for a lot of people.

sonictard

Because that wouldn't encourage conversation. I can see why some might consider metal, especially death metal, to simply be noise and therefore no valid form of music. It often lacks rhythm and other stuff that makes music enjoyable for a lot of people.

But, you experience music through the heart, conversation based on argument kills all of the joy and pleasure.

Just say, i like it, i dont like it. I like because...'it touches my heart like anything before...'couse that's the story of my life...etc.

I dont like it...couse...it's fake, not from the heart, author try to mimic some geniune sensibility from original artist, etc...I dunno.

Null

-
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Just say, i like it, i dont like it. I like because...'it touches my heart like anything before...'couse that's the story of my life...etc.

I dont like it...couse...it's fake, not from the heart, author try to mimic some geniune sensibility from original artist, etc...I dunno.
But that isn't what this thread is about.

Metal is music anyway, since any kind of arranged sounds into patterns is considered music.

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It often lacks rhythm and other stuff that makes music enjoyable for a lot of people.
It's harsh and noisy and often lacks clean singing, but I've never heard death metal that didn't have rhythm. It's not a rhythm that's typically considered danceable (unless you're slam dancing, but that's just people crashing their bodies into each other) but lack of rhythm is more typically a characteristic of ambient and drone music. I get the point you were making, tho, and I agreed with what you said about any sound intended to be music can be sorted under that label.

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Whatever is the music, you've got to learn how to listen to it before being really able to enjoy it.:whistling::drummerboy::bananachamp::woot::yay:

:headphne::wacko: