• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Hip Hop Thread

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
biggie biggie can't you seee
sometimes you just hypnotize me

ewnwrrrr nwwww

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What? Was my valiant defense of the artform not a good enough offering? :harhar:

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh shit, I guess I forgot to remove the sign that said "mind reader" from my forehead. My b. :rolleyes:

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So I'm with you in that hip hop can be fun, commercially succesful, and still be considered true to the artform. This bullshit about keeping it real automatically meaning keeping it heavy is just that, and has absolutely nothing to do with the history of the music. But it's equally ignorant to undercut the artform by saying that all it is is some shit you can grind to at the club.

I totally agree with you on this, I was never trying to imply that hip hop's just music for dancing to or whatever. and I know that music with a message that's more well thought out is objectively "better" and I do listen to it and enjoy it, but there is a time and place for everything and I don't think all music should have to be deep to be considered good. mostly I just don't think people should be so quick to judge based on how popular something is, even artists who come out with shallow radio rap at times can still be capable of something beyond that.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ah right ok, so oldschool is good ya.

And also.... yes i am doing this ....because it brings back good memories from teenage years so ner.

F

FigerPuppet

I prefer indie rap.

Eddie Murphy at 0:58 has an exquisite taste in jackets, and the piece at 1:39 is probably in my top 3.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I totally agree with you on this, I was never trying to imply that hip hop's just music for dancing to or whatever. and I know that music with a message that's more well thought out is objectively "better" and I do listen to it and enjoy it, but there is a time and place for everything and I don't think all music should have to be deep to be considered good. mostly I just don't think people should be so quick to judge based on how popular something is, even artists who come out with shallow radio rap at times can still be capable of something beyond that.

I think the issue is just that, as Zarathustra was pointing out, over time there's been an increasingly cynical quality to the way that mainstream artist and labels have approached the music.

The thing that makes me alright with Sugarhill Gang and not with the idea of some of these rappers that are out there today is the fact that Sugarhill Gang made good music and happened to blow up as a result, whereas these artist that are out there now are basically manufactured to blow up. The music is completely incidental to the profit. So I disagree pretty strongly with what I bolded. I don't expect my Big Mac to be a filet mignon; I don't expect Drake to be Dre. Drake, like a Big Mac, is enjoyable, but completely lacks credibility in terms of substance.

On the other hand, though, there's a part of me that kind of looks at the shape of things, and is pretty fuckin alright with it. I mean, the fact that hip hop went from some shit some kids in Brooklyn were rollin with to the such a big part of the culture as a whole is incredible. That the real game is that you have men like Dre and Jay-Z who were able to take hip hop, sell it to the suburbs, and build fuckin empires out of it. That maybe there'd be no Barry without Diddy coming first.

I might be goin a little far with it there, but you get my point. Anyways.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was introduced to these while playing tony hawk's pro skater games on the ps one.
Back in the days. :cry:

Public Enemy - By the time I get to Arizona
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrFOb_f7ubw

If You Must - Del The Funky Homosapien
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjDAV6BmN6E&feature=related

Ozomatli - Cut Chemist SuiteNzFQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALu8Rii

Pin the Tail on the Donkey - Naughty By Nature
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOXv3vWbiL0

(Didn't post the videos directly because this thread is lagging too much already)

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team

(weird... came in here randomly, and there are two guests lurking... thread hasn't been posted in for almost two weeks... :huh:)

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Probably search engine spiders.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Interesting.

Do they account for a large percentage of the 500 or so guests that are supposedly constantly lurking?

I think so. It's been awhile since I looked into it specifically though. But historically that has been the case.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
We need a little love for Kendrick Lamar in this bitch.

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
DOWN WITH THE PATRIARCHY

(you'll probably like this the most)