MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Default The Vatican's Opinion of the Movie 'Prometheus'

"It's a bad idea to defy the gods."

Really? Since when is the pope a polytheist?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Time to feed him the slimy slugs, and see what big things might spawn from something so little....
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    "It's a bad idea to defy the gods."

Really? Since when is the pope a polytheist?

Don't they worship deities?

I think so.

MBTI
    INTP

No, no

One deity, but 3 persons

Christianity is arguably a monotheistic religion

Sniffles

I don't see any real issue, and is probably a reference to the Prometheus story in Greek mythology.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I don't see any real issue, and is probably a reference to the Prometheus story in Greek mythology.
    And lo and behold, a quick google search revealed that much:
    The review itself, which appeared in Italian, consists mainly of a bland plot summary. But a mere handful of sentences that softly criticize the film were spun in the English language media to give the impression that the Vatican was issuing an angry condemnation of the film.

Yet this is a pure fabrication. The Italian review didn’t contain any criticisms about the movie that haven’t already been aired elsewhere by secular movie reviewers: for example, that Ridley Scott didn’t live up to the expectations set by his other films; that the script tells a story that is too convoluted; it doesn’t have enough thrills and surprises; it needs more work where it is lacking in explanations; and so on.

Yet that didn’t stop Eric J. Lyman from inventing a story with his piece in The Hollywood Reporter. Lyman begins with this: “The Vatican’s official newspaper attacked Ridley Scott’s Prometheus, taking issue with the film’s premise about the origins of mankind and saying it is ‘a bad idea to defy the gods.’”

Lyman makes it sound like the Vatican objects to the film’s theory that life on earth was started by aliens. But the review takes no such stance. The review just says that the story’s idea was not very well executed. It simply says that the film artistically “mishandles the delicate questions raised by” its premise. Moreover, the phrase “a bad idea to defy the gods” is an English translation only of the headline given to the movie review in Italian.

Lyman distorts the fact that the review itself only uses this phrase to explain the movie’s title. The phrase describes only what the reference to the figure of Prometheus from Greek mythology means.

http://www.catholicworldreport.com/I...den_films.aspx

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    To address that point specifically, yes, I concur with your assessment.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Sniffles

Furthering the point: towards the end of the original Greek story Prometheus declares his defiance of all the gods, to which Hermes replies: "It appears you have been stricken with no small madness."

So for the Vatican to declare it "it's a bad idea to defy the gods" makes sense when one understands the original story.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Makes sense, given the context.
    Clever bastard, that Pope.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

To my perception, The Vatican has actually been quite liberal in recent decades. The Pope even stopped requiring U.S. President's to kiss his ring when they visit.