Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    TBH, I haven't watched the Connery/Moore movies for about 18-20 years now. I should give them a revisit, to see how I view them now. Although I think Christopher Lee was the baddie (?), it was funny seeing Herve whassisname in the same movie, since I automatically mentally then try to match him with Ricardo Montalbon. I also never saw many of the Pierce Brosnan showings -- I think only GoldenEye had decent reviews, but the truth is that I got bored with Bond by that point and just stopped watching, they all seemed too derivative ... a copy of a copy of a copy... until the new iteration came around.
    Yes, Christopher Lee was the baddie. I suppose that he wasn't as menacing as he is generally known for.

I thought the Brosnan ones were decent, particularly Tomorrow Never Dies and The World is Not Enough. Both underrated. I thought TND was a great way to modernize the franchise to reflect the cultural climate at the time, much like what the Connery/Moore movies did. TWINE was great because it had the sexiest Bond girls, even if Denise Richards was a very silly casting choice...but who cares?

I didn't have as much of a problem with Die Another Day as much as some did. I thought that the disappearing Aston Martin was mostly believable within the Bond universe, and considering what was happening within cinematic culture at the time (MTV-style editing, and Matrix-style slow-motion), I felt it fit in quite nicely. And while the face altering device was a bit far-fetched, I think that this should be brought back if the rumors of Craig's replacement as Bond are true -- Idris Elba might replace him as the first black James Bond. They could work it into the story somehow. (And before I'm accused for being racist, I wouldn't want a white Shaft or a white Blade.)

I think the biggest problem with Die Another Day is not its overuse of CGI, but rather the poor CGI in general, which made the film very distracting. I do believe DAD was the first Bond movie to use CG stunt doubles. And they were horrendous. But every other absurd thing was nothing that we haven't seen before.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Nothing beats this:

One of the greatest scores in movie history, and easily the finest of the Bond series.

And Die Another Day was a concrete example of what NOT to do while making a Bond movie.
    It was the pinnacle of everything the series ever did wrong.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Duck_of_Death View Post
    And Die Another Day was a concrete example of what NOT to do while making a Bond movie.
    It was the pinnacle of everything the series ever did wrong.
    I kinda liked the opening title sequence of Die Another Day, it was an interesting way of advancing the story. Just mute before watching.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    I kinda liked the opening title sequence of Die Another Day, it was an interesting way of advancing the story. Just mute before watching.
    Someone put Madonna's theme in the top ten Bond tracks ever, but I'm not sure why. I'd consider Duran Duran's "A View to a Kill" better than that, in terms of being a BOND theme. It just sounds like yet another Madonna song to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck_of_Death View Post
    One of the greatest scores in movie history, and easily the finest of the Bond series.
    Crap, I forgot about that cool shift from minor to major in the first few lines, that was so AWESOME.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Someone put Madonna's theme in the top ten Bond tracks ever, but I'm not sure why.
    That's easy. Pretentious art critics who choose the opposite end simply to stand out.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

That was the only redeeming moment of that movie.
    And then that song has to go and ruin that as well.

EVERYTHING sucked about Die Another Day.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

That's easy. Pretentious art critics who choose the opposite end simply to stand out.
    Lol... well, I wasn't referring to art critics, just to one of those movie site "top ten lists," and I'd guess it was someone in their 20-30's who comprised the list.... but really, the song just wasn't branded as a Bond song. It was all about madonna.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Lol... well, I wasn't referring to art critics, just to one of those movie site "top ten lists," and I'd guess it was someone in their 20-30's who comprised the list.... but really, the song just wasn't branded as a Bond song. It was all about madonna.
    She played a wax statue in the movie, too.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

She played a wax statue in the movie, too.
    Oh, Jebus.

Did she have pointy cone nips?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Oh, Jebus.

Did she have pointy cone nips?
    I'm sure she did, and I'm sure James Bond made a pun out of them.