• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"The Lone Ranger" trailer...

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[video=youtube;cJEUYkXBAW8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cJEUYkXBAW8[/video]

I have to say this looks even worse than Cowboys and Aliens. Not saying it's going to be -- Gore Verbinski has always been clever with what's been given to him in the past (I adored Rango) -- but dammit, anything dealing with the wild west should NOT have electronic music. And for God's sake, Jack White is composing the music score? Even 1999's Wild Wild West didn't go that low. (Oh yes, I went there.)

Following the footsteps of Superman, Batman, and Batman and Robin, I see the actor who plays a supporting character got top billing instead of the dude who plays the title character. Johnny Depp is washed out; he needs to be in the "and" credits. What an egocentric douche bag.

The film looks like it's gonna be rather fx heavy -- if the fx company working on the film is listed in the credits, it usually means that there will be more than a few eye candy shots. So I wonder if we'll be seeing some steampunk gadgets or if it will be limited to green screen, matte paintings, and bullets flying in our faces? (Uh-oh, another stereoscopic conversion. :( )

EDIT: That's Helena Bonham Carter? She's in this? Hmm...Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter in a movie together...I haven't seen that before. Is Gore Verbinski Tim Burton's bitch or something?

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
I saw this yesterday morning, I think.
Yeah...Johnny Depp needs to go away.

It'll probably do John Carter box office. Thank God.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I saw this yesterday morning, I think.
Yeah...Johnny Depp needs to go away.

It'll probably do John Carter box office. Thank God.

John Carter wasn't that bad. Of course, that has no relationship with its financial success. But aside from odd pacing, I thought it was pretty decent. I think The Lone Ranger will be a Cowboys and Aliens-type box office "success." I never really cared for westerns, mainly because they're all the same in nearly every detail imaginable. So many of them seem to use the same exact sets as the westerns to have come before. But the weird thing is, as I've said before, I loved Rango, which was an homage to all of them.

...Is Johnny Depp technically doing "redface"? :huh:

Don't draw attention to the PC police, please.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
John Carter wasn't that bad. Of course, that has no relationship with its financial success. But aside from odd pacing, I thought it was pretty decent. I think The Lone Ranger will be a Cowboys and Aliens-type box office "success." I never really cared for westerns, mainly because they're all the same in nearly every detail imaginable. So many of them seem to use the same exact sets as the westerns to have come before. But the weird thing is, as I've said before, I loved Rango, which was an homage to all of them.

I haven't seen Cowboys & Aliens or John Carter. Or Rango.

Either way, I'm the opposite of you--Westerns are my favorite genre outside of science fiction. If you wish to take another stab at the genre, I'd recommend a few of the greats (all of which are diverse and transcend the genre):

The Wild Bunch, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, The Searchers, Unforgiven and High Noon.
And the only thing in common are the hats. Trust me--you're doing yourself a disservice by NOT watching these.

Don't draw attention to the PC police, please.

I believe Johnny Depp is actually part Cherokee.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Remember when Gore Verbinski was going to make a Bioshock movie?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The fact that Depp is playing a Native in today's Hollywood is something I find highly interesting, so I had check out his wiki... here's what I turned up:

Depp was adopted as an honorary son by LaDonna Harris, a member of the Comanche Nation, on May 22, 2012; this makes him an honorary member of Harris's family, but not an enrolled member of the Nation.[79] Harris, president of Americans for Indian Opportunity, invited him to join her family after hearing he would be reprising the role of Tonto as a Comanche in Lone Ranger, a feature film scheduled for 2013 release. The ceremony took place at Harris’s home; Comanche Nation Tribal Administrator Johnny Wauqua was in attendance. Depp was presented with gifts by the family, which he then presented to the attendees, as per tradition.[79]

Controversy arose over both the adoption and Depp's portrayal of a Native American character,[79] as Depp was not raised in, nor has confirmable ancestry from, a Native American community, though he has said he "guesses" he may have some distant Cherokee or Creek ancestry.[10] On the original Lone Ranger radio show, Tonto was identified as being from the Potawatomi tribe.[80]