First 2345 Last

Thread: Looper

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

I enjoyed it and thought it was a fun ride, but I did not like the psychics being introduced randomly in the middle. It's a fun "once off" imo, not nearly as good as 12 monkeys in my opinion which dealt with the same sort of temporal synchronicity aspects that looper did. Also, why the hell is Bruce Willis in so many sci-fi flicks?
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    The movie was cool, a bit unbalanced action wise though; kind of slow in the beginning and then rushed in the end, imo.
    Interesting. I thought the first half was enjoyable and compelling and then when the farm came into play I kind of lost interest.

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    Interesting. I thought the first half was enjoyable and compelling and then when the farm came into play I kind of lost interest.
    I meant less than half, just the slow pace until the timeline split.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    I enjoyed it and thought it was a fun ride, but I did not like the psychics being introduced randomly in the middle. It's a fun "once off" imo, not nearly as good as 12 monkeys in my opinion which dealt with the same sort of temporal synchronicity aspects that looper did. Also, why the hell is Bruce Willis in so many sci-fi flicks?
    I enjoyed both movies, but found 12 Monkeys colder, with the quirk acting as a buffer from me attaching more to the characters. I felt like the characters in Looper were more emotionally accessible and I resonated more with their plight overall, throughout the movie.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ

It's cool that it was a "show, don't tell" movie.

Everything ties together if you pay attention. Everything is a foreshadow for something else.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    It's cool that it was a "show, don't tell" movie.

Everything ties together if you pay attention. Everything is a foreshadow for something else.
    I totally agree with this, and the thoughtfulness of the movie in this regard makes it pretty "tight" to me as well -- it's why I like it. the pieces were all there, I didn't really notice any glaring "rip-offs" that occurred. I do understand why some people were bothered by the TK thing becoming a prominent part of the plot rather than a background detail, esp if they are not into that kind of thing, but I think the pieces were there early in the movie. And there's a big resonance in Joe's life that is mirrored in the kid's life as well; it is something that Young Joe uses to identify with the kid and ends up contributing to his final choices in the narrative. The cycle repeats itself from life to life.

(I've seen the picture twice, btw. So the second time, I had the luxury of looking at all the details to see what matched up or resonated throughout.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I totally agree with this, and the thoughtfulness of the movie in this regard makes it pretty "tight" to me as well -- it's why I like it. the pieces were all there, I didn't really notice any glaring "rip-offs" that occurred. I do understand why some people were bothered by the TK thing becoming a prominent part of the plot rather than a background detail, esp if they are not into that kind of thing, but I think the pieces were there early in the movie. And there's a big resonance in Joe's life that is mirrored in the kid's life as well; it is something that Young Joe uses to identify with the kid and ends up contributing to his final choices in the narrative. The cycle repeats itself from life to life.

(I've seen the picture twice, btw. So the second time, I had the luxury of looking at all the details to see what matched up or resonated throughout.)
    Yeah. I also like how there are no technical experts in the movie. I can't stand it when somebody does the explanatory monologue for how everything works, especially when the fact that they know all that stuff in the first place isn't even justified.

It's worse than when the detective has to always tell the forensics analyst to "zoom in... now, enhance." Is that necessary? Just shut up and do it!

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

I guess for me the TKs had no "purpose" except /insert powerful bad guy. I know they were introduced at the beginning, but you don't know what they are till later. They seemed unnecessary in the story like if he had another reason for accumulating power like some technology or just a lot of hired muscle it would have been more realistic. What I liked about 12 monkeys more was Willis going forward with his mission even though he thought he was insane and knew he would lose everything in the end
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    INFJ

I'm pretty sure that telekinesis is less far fetched than time travel is.

Edit: and actually there's not a lot of difference between technology and mental powers. Both are governed by physics.

Time travel breaks a hell of a lot more rules than TK would though.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Eh, I found the logic of the time travel to be...lacking. Also, the end of the film was a bit stupid and underwhelming. Otherwise, though, it was cool enough, except for JGL's ugly face (why, why, why did they give him chunti eyebrows?)
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness