First 1234 Last

Thread: Looper

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

...That's too bad it didn't work for you. Most of your complaints sound more preferential than universal.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

It's not preferential. If anything, that sin falls on the filmmakers.

It was shamelessly derivative, while the story itself was "original". There were various classic sci-fi elements forcibly shoehorned into the script without any basis, and it betrayed the internal framework of the story. I like Tetsuo Shima and T-101 as much as the next guy. Nevertheless, they obviously don't belong in the same movie.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Obviously not everyone agrees with you. (In fact, you seem to hold a minority opinion.) hence, it's not universal. Obviously a lot of professional reviewers who are well-versed in cinema did not have issues with the mixing of elements that seems so bothersome to you. I didn't really have an issue with it either.

I do agree with you about not having any idea where the movie was going, something that rarely happens with me, and so I could appreciate that aspect as well.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Note: The spoiler is still pretty general and doesn't give away specifics, but in case others don't want to read it...

Thanks!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Obviously not everyone agrees with you. (In fact, you seem to hold a minority opinion.) hence, it's not universal. Obviously a lot of professional reviewers who are well-versed in cinema did not have issues with the mixing of elements that seems so bothersome to you. I didn't really have an issue with it either.
    Appeal to authority?

I'll probably see it on DVD...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Appeal to authority?

I'll probably see it on DVD...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Oh yeah, there's another complaint about Looper I neglected to mention. It was shamelessly predictable, but at least the journey leading up to the predictable resolution was a gory fun ride.

At least it wasn't disappointing like Dredd, which felt like an hour-and-a-half TV episode. All the action took place in the same goddamn building -- there was a lot of wasted potential, like futuristic car chases. Comparatively speaking, Stallone's movie was a far more ambitious undertaking, even though it was a bit misguided -- fucking Rob Schneider -- and pissed comic book purists off. (I don't see what the big deal was about Stallone's Judge Dredd removing his helmet.)

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Appeal to authority?
    What an intellectually lazy response.

I think it's appropriate if someone says, "This should be a problem for ANYONE watching this movie -- it universally is wrong," and the reality is that the huge majority of the universe says, "Uh, we actually liked it." There is a discord between someone's claim (speaking for others) and the actual opinion of the others.

This is called projection.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Appeal to authority?
    What an intellectually lazy response.

I think it's appropriate to make this kind of argument if someone says, "This should be a problem for ANYONE watching this movie -- it universally is wrong," and the reality is that the huge majority of the universe says, "Uh, we actually liked it / didn't have a problem with it." There is a discord between someone's claim (speaking for others) and the actual opinion of the others. The single viewer is trying to speak for the bulk of the audience.

This is called projection.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

I do agree with you about not having any idea where the movie was going, something that rarely happens with me, and so I could appreciate that aspect as well.
    I certainly don't wish to be the contrarian here.

It wasn't the mixing of elements--my complaints stem from the approach and technical aspects. The script needed a bit more polish--the two opening acts went forth at full locomotive speed and ran out of steam once it reached the end of the line.

To me, the third act felt fabricated as opposed to organic segue. The themes and concepts presented are not common in mainstream science fiction, but Johnson didn't really go anywhere with them. Ultimately, he chose the easy way out. The mainstream exit.

Nonetheless, I can understand how Looper is critically lauded.
    Upon closer inspection, it is, indeed, a very good movie.

But it should have been great. An instant classic.