• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"Metal Gear Solid" movie on the horizon...

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So CEO of Kojima, Hideo Kojima, has been leaking hints of a Metal Gear Solid movie. Apparently, the main character will indeed be Solid Snake (and thank God it's not Raiden). And if this movie actually comes to fruition and not remain in limbo like Gore Verbinski's Bioshock project, who do you think should play Solid Snake? According to the article, Hugh Jackman is out of the question (although he'd be an obvious choice...kind of), and I would say that David Hayter (who voiced the character in the games) is out of the question, especially considering the actor/screenwriter only has the cool voice, but not the cool looks to go with it.

Moreover, what is your attitude towards video game film adaptations? Do you think they have potential to ever be good films or are the two media incompatible with each other?

Personally, I think that video game movies have potential if they're taken seriously enough. My thought is the reason that they've been terrible is because many filmmakers assume that gamers all have ADD and make the films accordingly.

Anyway, to any MGS fans, who do you think would be ideal to play a Solid Snake?

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
The Metal Gear project has been in "development hell" for at least a decade now.
I recall the guy who directed Equilibrium was at one time attached to make it.
I'll believe it when I see it.

As for Solid Snake: I'd say cast an unknown non-American (as 99.9% of contemporary American actors lack the grit and natural masculine presence that are defining attributes of the character). And surround him with well-known, revered actors (not only "stars"). That'll bring up ticket sales and appeal to the mainstream who know nothing of the video game series.

Oh, and Hugh Jackman is only good at singing, dancing and playing an incredibly tall Wolverine.

Fuck that guy.

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I haven't been able to complete the games, but they're good. The movie has to be too. And I think we know what kind of person should play snake, but because of who they're looking for I have no idea haha. I think duck's point about not being American is good and I think shold call for someone Russian :newwink:

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Another point I neglected to add: If they actually wish to make this movie work, they can leave the maudlin self-important bullshit shit at home. And they also need to drop the convoluted subplots (Patriots, la-de-da, or wtf ever).

And that Raiden pussy can go sit on an egg.

The characters are all stock anyway, so just have fun with it. Badass Solid Snake and his evil bastard twin, fighting to the death on top of an anthropomorphous super tank. Or Snake throwing down with a Cyborg Ninja. Throw in the Psycho Mantis boss battle for good measure. Can you imagine how hardcore and trippy that would be? In 3D, no less.

Not saying you have to stoop to "Resident Evil" movie quality or anything like that.
But I'd rather have high-quality trash (with engaging action sequences) than empty pseudo-art.

Remember priorities and keep your head out of your ass.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I'm excited, but wary.

Depends on who they cast, who directs etc...

Could be great (and sweet Jesus do I hope it is)... could suck.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
...Another suggestion (that's right--I'm practically spamming this thread):

Hire a director who excels at shooting STRAIGHT ACTION. No bells, no whistles. My vote goes to Gareth Evans of The Raid. There was hardly any fat on that movie--it was as straightforward and intense as action cinema comes. People get shot in the face, machete'd to death, their throats are crushed on damaged door frames, etc.

There wasn't really a story. THAT WAS THE STORY.
Infiltration, ass-kicking, one-man-against-the-world. Practically Metal Gear Lite.

Do it again with a bigger budget. 'Cause I wanna see my stock ISTP character tear shit up and I mean GOOD.

Se crack! I fuckin' love it!

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The Metal Gear project has been in "development hell" for at least a decade now.
I recall the guy who directed Equilibrium was at one time attached to make it.
I'll believe it when I see it.

The director of Equilibrium was also the director of Ultraviolet. Be careful what you wish for.

I'd like to see Joss Whedon direct. Or maybe Michael Bay.

And that Raiden pussy can go sit on an egg.

Raiden's insides probably produce them. Speaking of which, Robert Pattinson, anyone? I can't think of anyone more girly.

EDIT:

Hire a director who excels at shooting STRAIGHT ACTION. No bells, no whistles. My vote goes to Gareth Evans of The Raid. There was hardly any fat on that movie--it was as straightforward and intense as action cinema comes. People get shot in the face, machete'd to death, their throats are crushed on damaged door frames, etc.

Michael Bay.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
So CEO of Kojima, Hideo Kojima, has been leaking hints of a Metal Gear Solid movie. Apparently, the main character will indeed be Solid Snake (and thank God it's not Raiden). And if this movie actually comes to fruition and not remain in limbo like Gore Verbinski's Bioshock project, who do you think should play Solid Snake? According to the article, Hugh Jackman is out of the question (although he'd be an obvious choice...kind of), and I would say that David Hayter (who voiced the character in the games) is out of the question, especially considering the actor/screenwriter only has the cool voice, but not the cool looks to go with it.

Moreover, what is your attitude towards video game film adaptations? Do you think they have potential to ever be good films or are the two media incompatible with each other?

Personally, I think that video game movies have potential if they're taken seriously enough. My thought is the reason that they've been terrible is because many filmmakers assume that gamers all have ADD and make the films accordingly.

Anyway, to any MGS fans, who do you think would be ideal to play a Solid Snake?

I think that the guy that played Thor would make a good Solid Snake.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
The director of Equilibrium was also the director of Ultraviolet. Be careful what you wish for.

Oh, I agree. He's nothing special. I'm glad it fell through when he was attached.

I'd like to see Joss Whedon direct. Or maybe Michael Bay.

Joss Whedon is anchored with the Marvel movies, so he is out.
I would, however, place Bay on the shortlist (get back to that in a minute, however)

Raiden's insides probably produce them. Speaking of which, Robert Pattinson, anyone? I can't think of anyone more girly.

Haha

EDIT:

Michael Bay.

The problem with Bay is that he would attempt to "humanize" these characters and it would completely backfire. As stated earlier: Every Metal Gear character (and storyline) is cliche down to the letter. It's boring, tepid and counterproductive for a project this ambitious in scale. It isn't about the characters--it's about the danger and weight of such.

I'm watching The Raid now (in glorious HD) and my position still stands: Hire Gareth Evans. He seems wise enough to acknowledge the conventions, yet refuse to bog a picture down with them. Action cinema is, after all, a purely visual medium designed to inspire awe.

Bay is good at blowing stuff up, sure. But he lacks the "umph" factor that goes with it.