User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    At this link, it says Mitchell will appear through flashbacks, and she's credited for the six episodes currently on the table, so....

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...-abrams-343674

One of the other articles, she talks about her character as if there's a lot of backstory we have not yet seen that is being handled in the showm, so you'll likely see more of her....

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...itchell-370773
    Oou! I love her. Maybe I'll keep tabs on it just in case it gets better. Thanks!
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INtP

Well, I watched it, and I have to agree with the general sentiment. Worthy premise, but at least for the first episode, sort of hollow. Both in that all of the interesting parts were in the first 5 and last 5 minutes and that there weren't really any characters that grabbed me (except perhaps Google-AC/DC guy (Hurley-redux, but I liked Hurley too) and Algebra Teacher, but something tells me that they're minor characters). Perhaps I'm getting old, but I have zero interest in the inevitable romance subplot between Miss Hunger Games and Militia Spy Guy. I mean, that last-minute rescue (of an enemy, at the expense of his own squadmate) could have come right out of an After-School Special.

I think what struck me the most is what seems to kill most science fiction in mainstream TV... failing to maintain realism in the little things. For instance, the most network-friendly bloodless swordfight in history... complete with a scene where the hero was surrounded by swordsmen, who a) patiently waited their turn to be killed and b) gave the hero a free time-out that lasted like 15 seconds when one of their fellow goons was shot with an arrow and said hero turns his back to them to gawk at his rescuer.

I think watching things like Game of Thrones, as violent as it may be, makes these sorts of things seem particularly weak in comparison. I mean, I know that the choreographed fight scenes aren't what this show's about... but it was a pretty glaring dose of anti-realism. And science fiction, especially that which aspires to be taken even a little seriously, can't afford to fall flat on the little things like that. Far-out premise? Unexplained mysteries? Bring it on. But everything else needs to be spot-on, and it wasn't. Everything from the uber-fast-acting, uber-strong whiskey-poison to the cheap looking crossbow that took repeated hits from a steel sword to well-known landmarks surviving to be gawked at while their neighboring buildings magically turned into forest just sort of oozes laziness to me. Good science fiction (and fantasy) doesn't make those mistakes.

The acting seemed sort of flat, but I guess I can give that a bit of time. Esposito was pretty darned good in Breaking Bad, so I'm not counting him out yet, and although most of the younger actors seem of the "nice to look at, but not much else" type, they may surprise me. And the mention that Elizabeth Mitchell will be present in future episodes (in flashbacks, at least) is a plus.

I'll keep watching it, at least for a while, though. The premise is interesting, and the questions that came up near the end hinted at a plot that might turn into something -- even if it may turn into something like Lost, where the plot goes everywhere but where you thought it would. But in Lost, the characters made the show... I suspect that this show won't make it unless it can catch up, and quickly, in that aspect.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    I'd marked this as a show that I might like (I tend to like the post-apocalyptic stuff), but I missed the episode watching the last 3 episodes of Breaking Bad season 4 (which were really quite good).
    Nice little coincidence that at least one of the show's villains is played by the guy who played Gus Fring in BB.

Anew Leaf

I was looking forward to it, but found the pilot very meh, like others have said.

Random thoughts:
    1- How are people able to have swords and crap?
    2- Seeing the militia come in on horseback made me really miss Firefly. (Ok, this serious totally needs Nathan Fillion and I will watch it to the ends of this earth. )
    3- The only interesting part is the black out itself and the aftermath as humanity adjusted. THAT is far more interesting to me than the supposedly interesting "charlie" and her boring family.
    4- The love interest bit is super heavy handed = snooooooooooooze. Not interested. This guy may have saved you, but he also betrayed you. (If she's ovulating, then I give her a pass for this one episode.)
    5- Miles is trying too hard to be all ISTPesque.
    6- The very ending was so Lost + Hatch, I chuckled. I am not sure this was the reaction they were going for.

I will keep watching for a few episodes to see if it gets better, but so far I am unimpressed. What I love about other JJ shows such as Lost and POI... is that the characters are very strong and real and things are developed slowly and beautifully. This was like Terra Nova without the possibilities of dinosaurs.

MBTI
    ISTx

I watched the the first 10 minutes and got bored. I liked the first 2 minutes when everything was shutting down, and that's about it.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Well, I watched it, and I have to agree with the general sentiment. Worthy premise, but at least for the first episode, sort of hollow. Both in that all of the interesting parts were in the first 5 and last 5 minutes and that there weren't really any characters that grabbed me (except perhaps Google-AC/DC guy (Hurley-redux, but I liked Hurley too) and Algebra Teacher, but something tells me that they're minor characters). Perhaps I'm getting old, but I have zero interest in the inevitable romance subplot between Miss Hunger Games and Militia Spy Guy. I mean, that last-minute rescue (of an enemy, at the expense of his own squadmate) could have come right out of an After-School Special.

I think what struck me the most is what seems to kill most science fiction in mainstream TV... failing to maintain realism in the little things. For instance, the most network-friendly bloodless swordfight in history... complete with a scene where the hero was surrounded by swordsmen, who a) patiently waited their turn to be killed and b) gave the hero a free time-out that lasted like 15 seconds when one of their fellow goons was shot with an arrow and said hero turns his back to them to gawk at his rescuer.

I think watching things like Game of Thrones, as violent as it may be, makes these sorts of things seem particularly weak in comparison. I mean, I know that the choreographed fight scenes aren't what this show's about... but it was a pretty glaring dose of anti-realism. And science fiction, especially that which aspires to be taken even a little seriously, can't afford to fall flat on the little things like that. Far-out premise? Unexplained mysteries? Bring it on. But everything else needs to be spot-on, and it wasn't. Everything from the uber-fast-acting, uber-strong whiskey-poison to the cheap looking crossbow that took repeated hits from a steel sword to well-known landmarks surviving to be gawked at while their neighboring buildings magically turned into forest just sort of oozes laziness to me. Good science fiction (and fantasy) doesn't make those mistakes.

The acting seemed sort of flat, but I guess I can give that a bit of time. Esposito was pretty darned good in Breaking Bad, so I'm not counting him out yet, and although most of the younger actors seem of the "nice to look at, but not much else" type, they may surprise me. And the mention that Elizabeth Mitchell will be present in future episodes (in flashbacks, at least) is a plus.

I'll keep watching it, at least for a while, though. The premise is interesting, and the questions that came up near the end hinted at a plot that might turn into something -- even if it may turn into something like Lost, where the plot goes everywhere but where you thought it would. But in Lost, the characters made the show... I suspect that this show won't make it unless it can catch up, and quickly, in that aspect.
    I concur with everything you said.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Anew Leaf

I watched last night's episode and was completely underwhelmed. Everything is too heavy handed: the acting, the music, the plot.

Sigh. Nothing is subtle.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

HA HA HA! I just finished it a second ago. I thought it was an improvement on the pilot.... enough that I'll watch another one.

But I do agree with what you said. I especially noticed the music tonight -- it was just too much. It needs to integrate better into the dialogue. The whole things is too heavy-handed and overt. The best moments are when it forgets to be dramatic and obvious and accidentally does something subtle/unexpected/natural.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    Everything is too heavy handed: the acting, the music, the plot.

Sigh. Nothing is subtle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    The whole things is too heavy-handed and overt. The best moments are when it forgets to be dramatic and obvious and accidentally does something subtle/unexpected/natural.

Just finished the episode -- I still think that this *could* be a good show. But the heavy-handedness is really clumsy. I can't help but think that if they stopped trying so hard, it'd be a better show. I'm not sure that all of the actors are up to it, though... especially NotKatniss (as I saw her described elsewhere - it just fits too well). She seems to have one facial expression... "pouty glare", and it's quite annoying.

The guy who plays Miles was okay, Esposito was good (as expected) even if his lines were overwritten. At least I feel that he can pull it off. The younger actors were universally pretty bad, although it's hard to tell if that's them, or simply bad dialog/direction. I suspect both.

The whole "little things are wrong" comment I had about the pilot still applies, but not quite as much in this episode. More un-bloody swordfights that are probably just a given, and I thought it was rather odd that one week after the power went out, only like 5 people (four of whom are a family) were out and about *in Chicago*. Maybe they can't afford extras? But at least the basic story is somewhat interesting to me, so I'm willing to keep watching.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Just finished the episode -- I still think that this *could* be a good show.
    Yes, I felt like I saw some signs of it tonight... like when it looked like Charlie fell off the wall, and then Nate showed up...

The guy who plays Miles was okay, Esposito was good (as expected) even if his lines were overwritten. At least I feel that he can pull it off. The younger actors were universally pretty bad, although it's hard to tell if that's them, or simply bad dialog/direction. I suspect both.
    Yes, I think the directing "how things fit together" is off. That's why everything is so overdone. The director(s) need to take more control and ease everything back and give better instructions to the various pieces of the show.

More un-bloody swordfights that are probably just a given,
    Yeah, I think it's aimed too much at the Terra Nova market for us to get any real decent blood aside from a few gutshots -- it's just all glam sworddancing.

and I thought it was rather odd that one week after the power went out, only like 5 people (four of whom are a family) were out and about *in Chicago*. Maybe they can't afford extras?
    That was how I felt in Snow White and the Huntsman -- like they couldn't afford enough extras to make storming the castle at the end believable. It was hard to even care about that "wicked witch" when her army seemed tiny and pathetic and there were barely any people in the village. And what should have been the climactic battle seemed about on the scale of a middle-school reenactment battle.

As far as your spoiler goes -- YEAH! I was so excited to see that. it's funny because sometimes it's hard to recognize a good actor until they're next to bad ones, because they do it so effortlessly.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft