• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Movies That Use People's Shadows

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Lately I've been thinking about the various movies I've seen that use shadows of people in dramatic ways. But at the moment the only movie I can think of is Clockwork Orange, in the scene where Alex and his droogs are walking up on the homeless drunk at night, with a bright light shining behind the four. I think I recall shadows used in that movie in some other dramatic ways whenever evil Alex is lurking around.

What are some other examples of movies which use shadows in artistic ways, particularly people shadows?

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Off-the-top-of-my-head:

-Attack of the Clones before Anakin sets off to rescue his mother "Searchers" style.
-Paranormal Activity showed a shadow of the demon spirit, if I'm not mistaken.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Off-the-top-of-my-head:

-Attack of the Clones before Anakin sets off to rescue his mother "Searchers" style.
-Paranormal Activity showed a shadow of the demon spirit, if I'm not mistaken.

Aren't you forgetting one you should know? Older movie, black-and-white...

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
250px-NosferatuShadow.jpg

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Peter Pan's shadow gets loose and they have to sew it back on and that always freaked me.

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Wasn't it sewn back on to his shoe? That's not so bad.

Perhaps so, but the idea that it got loose and wanted to be free of him to do nefarious things... I guess its all very Jungian, but I was just unsettled by the idea of shadows on the loose from their corresponding forms, that they had their own mind and it wasn't associated with your own.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wasn't it sewn back on to his shoe? That's not so bad.

That's funny. For some reason I always thought it was sewn right onto his foot (which always weirded me out).

Perhaps so, but the idea that it got loose and wanted to be free of him to do nefarious things... I guess its all very Jungian, but I was just unsettled by the idea of shadows on the loose from their corresponding forms, that they had their own mind and it wasn't associated with your own.

And then along came Ally MacBeal and that damned dancing baby!

But seriously, yes... that would be kind of weird. Because it's like it's you, but suddenly not you at all.

93JC

Oh, I see. That could be quite unsettling.

I think of the shadow as a prankster mostly, not really nefarious. In a way his shadow was Peter's oldest, dearest friend. They played tricks on each other in a way only old, dear friends do.

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Oh, I see. That could be quite unsettling.

I think of the shadow as a prankster mostly, not really nefarious. In a way his shadow was Peter's oldest, dearest friend. They played tricks on each other in a way only old, dear friends do.
Thanks for explaining, I admit I did not read the book, I am only talking about the Disney animated movie, my memory of which is poor because it was not one of my most favorites, partially because of the shadow scene.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Shadows deployed strategically in a movie often form a subconscious presence for the viewer. The unconscious mind is seen as a source of mental shadows, barely-conceived symbols, the vaguely seen, felt, and understood. The shadow of the man at Dagny's office door in Atlas Shrugged (the novel) also made for a very interesting scene.

There are numerous scenes where someone in a movie or tv show enters a room and throws a shadow on the desk of someone sitting there, or on the wall, which gets the person's attention. It creates an aura of mystery and adds a bit of tension. But the really powerful scenes which begin (or end) with a shadow stick in the mind, while the shadow itself remains behind.

I recall now a scene from a movie which consisted of shadows in action. It may have been from a Godfather movie from the 1970s. In the scene, the viewer can see the woman's husband being beaten to death as shadows on the wall.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Huge shadows on walls are very prominent in The Third Man (1949) as well as Odd Man Out (1947) (both directed by Carol Reed) as well as a lot of film noir.

If you wanna go back even more, it is an essential style element in the German expressionist film of the 1920s that inspired much of that look of film noir.