MBTI
    SEXY
    Enneagram
    hot
    Socionics
    body

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    @freeeekyyy

If nobody hated Cartman would it become a racist show written by a racist?

Does a work have to tell you how you are supposed to feel about it?

My take is that it doesn't have to tell you anything about how to judge it, and if it does tell you, that actually detracts from it - unless it is done for ironic purposes.

You could have an entire show full of Cartmans and it still doesn't necessarily promote racism. Unless of course you need someone else to tell you what you're supposed to think about it.

Edit:
    Personally I can hate Cartman all by myself without the other characters support.
    I think the point wasn't that others don't agree with Cartman's racism as much as Cartman's a racist opposed to characters fitting stereotypes. At least that's what I got out of it anyway.

Those people should not be watching television because they obviously can't handle it.

Actually if I had my way, nobody would watch television.
    Eh... Censorship is pretty evil.
    I wouldn't deny T.V. to the masses, I'd just make less restrictions on what's aloud on television and work on making it easier for just anyone to put a show on television. So that a wide variety of everything from various qualities ends up on tv and shows are naturally eliminated by ratings. Then it'd just be what people wanted to watch instead of just what whomever had enough movie put together. To an extent anyway... but that's a whole different topic.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ricin View Post
    I think the point wasn't that others don't agree with Cartman's racism as much as Cartman's a racist opposed to characters fitting stereotypes. At least that's what I got out of it anyway.

Eh... Censorship is pretty evil.
    I wouldn't deny T.V. to the masses, I'd just make less restrictions on what's aloud on television and work on making it easier for just anyone to put a show on television. So that a wide variety of everything from various qualities ends up on tv and shows are naturally eliminated by ratings. Then it'd just be what people wanted to watch instead of just what whomever had enough movie put together. To an extent anyway... but that's a whole different topic.
    Ahh, ok. I get it now I think.

Yeah I think there's confusion over stereotypes which is why I hate when writers put them in the script and try to pass it off as properly written.

I frickin hate that. It makes the whole thing stilted and corny. Like Good Times.

So I get what you're saying now and yeah I agree. Also I'd never actually censor television but it's just frustrating when some people seem to take their moral and ethical cues from it in spite of all common sense.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

@freeeekyyy

If nobody hated Cartman would it become a racist show written by a racist?

Does a work have to tell you how you are supposed to feel about it?

My take is that it doesn't have to tell you anything about how to judge it, and if it does tell you, that actually detracts from it - unless it is done for ironic purposes.

You could have an entire show full of Cartmans and it still doesn't necessarily promote racism. Unless of course you need someone else to tell you what you're supposed to think about it.

Edit:
    Personally I can hate Cartman all by myself without the other characters support.
    Not necessarily. I don't know that family guy, for instance, is really racist. I just get the feeling from the way that racial issues are handled in that show that it's creator (McFarlane) may be. Part of why is because racial matters seem to be all he's capable of joking about, partly because he goes after them with a huge sledgehammer and uses no subtlety at all, and partly because it makes fairly direct jokes about a race of people, rather than the racists. I don't know his motivations, and I'm not going to say I do; I'm just a bit suspicious.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Exactly...
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by freeeekyyy View Post
    Not necessarily. I don't know that family guy, for instance, is really racist. I just get the feeling from the way that racial issues are handled in that show that it's creator (McFarlane) may be. Part of why is because racial matters seem to be all he's capable of joking about, partly because he goes after them with a huge sledgehammer and uses no subtlety at all, and partly because it makes fairly direct jokes about a race of people, rather than the racists. I don't know his motivations, and I'm not going to say I do; I'm just a bit suspicious.
    Well as far as I know he isn't, not overtly. He contributed to Obama and supports gay rights and humanitarianism.

He's been panned for insensitive humor but I don't think he intends to send these messages - he's just weird and insensitive at times.

Not that I'm defending him either. I really don't care.

Sniffles

It's more about making fun of racists and racism really. If they actually did promote racism, they wouldn't see the light of day or would be heavily censored much like the infamous "Censored Eleven" and other cartoons from the 30s and 40s that more overtly protrayed racial stereotypes.

Banned
    MBTI
    SEXY
    Enneagram
    hot
    Socionics
    body

Ahh, ok. I get it now I think.

Yeah I think there's confusion over stereotypes which is why I hate when writers put them in the script and try to pass it off as properly written.

I frickin hate that. It makes the whole thing stilted and corny. Like Good Times.

So I get what you're saying now and yeah I agree. Also I'd never actually censor television but it's just frustrating when some people seem to take their moral and ethical cues from it in spite of all common sense.
    Some people are stupid and have no real sense of self, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by freeeekyyy View Post
    Pretty much. That stuff just rubs me the wrong way so I don't really care much for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    It's more about making fun of racists and racism really. If they actually did promote racism, they wouldn't see the light of day or would be heavily censored much like the infamous "Censored Eleven" and other cartoons from the 30s and 40s that more overtly protrayed racial stereotypes.
    There's a way to get shit past the radar that's used pretty commonly in shows and advertisement. Also for something to be racist is doesn't have to directly be this way as much as have undertones of it, like good times. The 30s and 40s cartoons didn't hide their racism and were more in your face about it. in the 50s tv and cartoons were still racist.

Basically what I'm saying is that even if it isn't in your face as much as it used to be it doesn't mean it isn't racist.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I don't really find racist jokes all that funny either way. I'll laugh if a group of people are laughing--but I do that regardless of if I'm actually amused or not.. I enjoy laughing with others, so I hardly control that aspect of my life.

Racist jokes, male/female jokes, marriage jokes.. usually these just sound bitter, jaded, whiny, and ridiculous to me. The time I think is right to apply marriage sort of jokes is when something becomes funny in a small group of people.. "Omg! My husband/wife does that too!" And then we all laugh. But Racist jokes? I don't really find a place I enjoy them. Something will still nag at me that it is wrong--even when my more primal instincts want to make the connections everyone else is.

Where I tend to 'enjoy racism' is via books and movies showing its atrocities. This is not to be confused for wanting a cutesy "Omg racism is bad kids " one-liner outlined for me every time. I'd like to determine that for myself. To Kill a Mockingbird which showcases people doing the right thing, or A Time to Kill, when people create something racist out of nothing.. Even American History X and Crash got it right--showcasing how people come to these mentalities and thoughts. Crash in particular was a very eye-opening, moving movie.

I'll still probably laugh at a few baser jokes thrown around, but they don't give me the entertainment that other aspects of shows like South Park have given me. I do agree though that South Park is more subtly pointing out how retarded racism looks on others.. Eric Cartman is constantly a reminder of 'that one buddy' we all have that makes comments that aren't really that funny and just sound stupid to the rest of the group regarding subjects like that. They point out it is wrong--but not themselves. They sort of leave that up to the audience, which I enjoy.

I think who gets it wrong more often than not is stand-up comedians. The subject is a tired, washed out one.. and I find that even comedy aired long ago, when jokes and talking about situations like that were funny, sort of make me frown to watch them.
    Who I think gets it wrong - Carlos Mencia and Tosh.0 .. Stereotypes thrown everywhere with a few clever words to spice them up fools me about as much as putting sprinkles on shit.
    Who I think got it right - George Lopez, Whoever the puppet-dude is, and the "Fluffy" guy. They talk about their lives.. sometimes they play on the stereotypes, sometimes they fall into them, but it is focused on them and their experiences--they don't push opinions on anyone or groups of people. It makes the concepts far more enjoyable. I don't think I could have given two shits about George Lopez if he talked about his skits in a way that implied only Hispanic families go through these things.. growing up around many families in that culture, I found I related to the skits so much, and I enjoyed them more as a result.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Seth MacFarlane is a fucking idiot. That's all I know for sure.

His style of "humor" is what I'd call the lowest of the low.

Honestly, I wouldn't hate him so much if it weren't abundantly clear that he thinks of himself and his material as intelligent and subversive. If he would just accept the fact that he's a simpleton, and that his shows exhibit simpleton humor, then it'd all be good (though I still wouldn't watch that shit.)
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Sniffles

Basically what I'm saying is that even if it isn't in your face as much as it used to be it doesn't mean it isn't racist.
    Except too often trying to prove more subtle forms of racism comes down to the eye of the beholder really. The fact that such racism has to be more subtle alone actually tells you something here.