FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Cinematic Adaptations That Were Better Than the Book

Got any opinions on this?

Some that come to mind:

1. Gone, Baby, Gone. The book seems to be kind of unfocused and doesn't shape the narrative and characters as well as the movie adaptation does. (Just for the sake of time, the two-hour movie had to streamline the plot and condense/cut some things.) There are also scenes in the movie (such as the attempted rape in the bar) that are far more riveting than the book version. I'm currently about halfway through the book after watching the movie and it's just far flatter, dramatically, than the movie was. I was driven to read the book after seeing the movie, but I likely would not have seen the movie if I had read the book first.

2. Kick-Ass. This was based on a limited series comic book that I've skimmed through, and the comic itself seemed rather crass without the fun/interesting stuff, while the movie really captured the tone in a good way, with its excesses seeming humorous and not just bloody.

3. Wanted. Same kind of thing, a comic book narrative translated into a movie where things were streamlined and the cruel/vulgar tone of the book (which seemed kind of uninteresting) was given some life in the movie translation.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Continuing your theme of graphic novels:

A History of Violence. The novel itself was bland.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Ben-Hur. The novel is a tedious religious novel of the type that was once popular. The movie is one of the all-time great epics.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I think "The Firm" would be another one of these movies. I really enjoy the movie adaptation, despite its length... and I'm usually not into movies like this. There was just some fine acting, including the best performance I think I've seen from Jeanne Tripplehorn, and of course Gene Hackman tends to elevate any movie he's part of. The book was average.

A movie where I think the book was good but I think the movie nailed it even better was "The Silence of the Lambs." Thomas Harris actually is a decent enough writer that he could pass off a book with a ludicrous plot like Hannibal and still make dung smell sweet (I mean, I just shook my head reading that piece of trash and consider it a snub by Harris against his publisher, since basically he put a pig -- so to speak -- in nice clothes)... but I think that SotL was just one of those pictures that took an already decent narrative and made it sing.

I suspect also that Nolan's "The Prestige" is another movie that takes the basic info from the book narrative and jumbles it around in order to make a far more complex and psychologically interesting work. I haven't read the book, but I've read about it, and it sounds like that would be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    Ben-Hur. The novel is a tedious religious novel of the type that was once popular. The movie is one of the all-time great epics.
    Lol... What about "The Ten Commandments"?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

Lol... What about "The Ten Commandments"?
    Haha, not going to go there with that one! Actually, I think the Bible told that story more efficiently. I'm actually not sure if I've ever seen Ten Commandments from start to finish. Ben-Hur always moved me a lot more.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

The Godfather. Easy peasy!

I've heard One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest was better than the book, but I've never read it and probably never will.

Jaws!

Since it seems I'm stuck in the 1970's... A Clockwork Orange. Esp. since they didn't include the "missing" chapter.

I concur on:

Silence of the Lambs
    The Godfather
    Jaws
    The Firm

I would add:

High Fidelity
    About A Boy
    The Shawshank Redemption
    The Exorcist
    Apocalypse Now (if you count it as an adaptation of "Heart of Darkness")
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

I liked The English Patient better as a movie than as a book. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the book, but I adore the movie.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Psycho (based on Psycho)

There Will Be Blood (based on Oil!)

Dr Strangelove (based on Red Alert)

Clockwork Orange (Clockwork Orange)

Exorcist (Exorcist)

I think both versions of True Grit are better remembered than the novel itself.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

To Serve them All My Days, by R.F. Delderfield. This was a novel about a soldier invalided out of WWI who returns to teach school in Great Britain. The book was rambling, disorganized, and made no effort to put across the dramatic arc of the story. The PBS dramatization was infinitely better; more concise, focused, with proper relative weight on more and less significant events.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...