• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Avengers?

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
So it turns out that this was the best movie of the Summer after all.
Started with a bang...went out with a whimper.

AND!

...It is going to be re-released this weekend for Labor Day.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So it turns out that this was the best movie of the Summer after all.

I agree with this, though The Expendables 2 was a close second.

Wreck-It Ralph is gonna be the best movie of the year, though, and it turns out that Disney still has a spark of genius every so often without depending on its Pixar division.

Started with a bang...went out with a whimper.

The summer or the movie?

Wolfie

MBTI Type
xNxx
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so
I agree!!!! I went and saw it twice. Wish I had seen Batman, though. Never had time. :(

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I enjoyed Batman and Avengers. There were parts of Prometheus I liked, but parts I didn't. Besides those I can't remember seeing much else this summer, but I'd still rate it higher than last year.

If you're talking strict box office, one should account for the fact that Batman had certain very unfortunate circumstances working against it.

scienceresearcher

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
...It is going to be re-released this weekend for Labor Day.

It's coming out this weekend again!??!1 IM TAKING MY LADY THERE ASAP. Definitely best movie since Inception. I went to the theaters twice for the Avengers.. looks like I'll be going a third..

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
I checked showtimes and they're crap. No matinees or 3D showings. Lame.
I'll probably see it on Wednesday.

Go to the Mediterranean restaurant across from the theater and fill up on some Shawarma beforehand.

I enjoyed Batman and Avengers. There were parts of Prometheus I liked, but parts I didn't. Besides those I can't remember seeing much else this summer, but I'd still rate it higher than last year.

If you're talking strict box office, one should account for the fact that Batman had certain very unfortunate circumstances working against it.

Prometheus was an interesting trainwreck to watch unfold.
The Dark Knight Rises wasn't a bad movie per se, but it certainly wasn't entertaining.

As for Box Office: There was no way Dark Knight was gonna beat The Avengers.
It had the Summer Olympics AND a horrific massacre to contend with.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was only amused by Iron Man, and mildly entertained by Thor. I'm a Whedon fan, should I take this second chance opportunity to see the Avengers in the theatre?

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
I was only amused by Iron Man, and mildly entertained by Thor. I'm a Whedon fan, should I take this second chance opportunity to see the Avengers in the theatre?

In my opinion:

It does come out on video in about 3 weeks.
If you own an optimal home theater setup, you're better off waiting for the 3D blu-ray set.

Nevertheless, it is a great big screen experience.
I can't imagine having seen this movie as a child. I'd have lost my mind.

And the rest of those Marvel movies? They absolutely pale in comparison.
The Avengers raises the bar as high as it can go and not just for comic movies, either.

Most of the charming Whedon trademarks are sprinkled throughout the movie.
It is undeniably his work, but still somehow distinctively Marvel.

Only in terms of box office numbers.

For the major tentpole-blockbuster, I thought it was.
What was your favorite?

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
True. But, if we are being honest, neither is 'The Avengers'. The films are just what they are. Assessments of quality are merely the subjective wrappings we put on them in order to express ourselves.

True. And I am aware of this. However, The Avengers was a better made movie regarding the genre.
The action sequences were well-staged geographically and captured to perfection.
And the secondary and tertiary characters were given just enough quirk to be human.

Nolan couldn't shoot an engaging set piece to save his life.
And TDKR was filled with so many superfluous characters I cheered when they died off.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Picked the blu-ray set up this afternoon. Target made a mistake.
They had both the standard blu-ray and fully packed set priced at 19.99. The fully packed set was originally $35.

And I managed to grab the last one, too. Awesome.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Picked the blu-ray set up this afternoon. Target made a mistake.
They had both the standard blu-ray and fully packed set priced at 19.99. The fully packed set was originally $35.

And I managed to grab the last one, too. Awesome.

Pretty funny. But good for you!

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Bought it on blu-ray, and it's still the best movie of the year, but Wreck-It Ralph still has the potential to dethrone it.

Speaking of Joss Whedon, I also bought The Cabin in the Woods on blu-ray. Saw it in the theater and I loved it, I don't see why it won't be any different on blu-ray, except maybe I won't hear screaming kids in the room.

Nolan couldn't shoot an engaging set piece to save his life.
And TDKR was filled with so many superfluous characters I cheered when they died off.

My big problem with TDKR was how anticlimactic the final battle was, but the closing sequence soon after was done brilliantly, and actually improved the overall film's quality by several notches.

Now it's time to make Batman Beyond movies, with Michael Keaton showing up in the "and" credits as elderly Bruce Wayne.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Bought it on blu-ray, and it's still the best movie of the year, but Wreck-It Ralph still has the potential to dethrone it.

...And in my opinion, it is even better on blu-ray. Wreck-It-Ralph does look intriguing, though.

Speaking of Joss Whedon, I also bought The Cabin in the Woods on blu-ray. Saw it in the theater and I loved it, I don't see why it won't be any different on blu-ray, except maybe I won't hear screaming kids in the room.

I've heard a lot of good things about this movie, and it is a breakout year for Whedon. He deserves it.
RedBox is there for a reason. Assuming it is available, I'll rent it tomorrow.

My big problem with TDKR was how anticlimactic the final battle was, but the closing sequence soon after was done brilliantly, and actually improved the overall film's quality by several notches.

I will agree with this. Even though the entire film was predictable and uninspired, the ending was well-earned catharsis.
In a way, it was rewarding to see the poster child of brooding find meaning and happiness beyond kicking baddies in the face.

Now it's time to make Batman Beyond movies, with Michael Keaton showing up in the "and" credits as elderly Bruce Wayne.

Man...that's asking for too much. Warner Bros. isn't that audacious. Bats and Supes are nothing but cash cows to them.
And they're going to reboot the character in the upcoming Justice League project (which I still believe is a mistake).