User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: The Avengers?

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    Bought it on blu-ray, and it's still the best movie of the year, but Wreck-It Ralph still has the potential to dethrone it.
    ...And in my opinion, it is even better on blu-ray. Wreck-It-Ralph does look intriguing, though.

Speaking of Joss Whedon, I also bought The Cabin in the Woods on blu-ray. Saw it in the theater and I loved it, I don't see why it won't be any different on blu-ray, except maybe I won't hear screaming kids in the room.
    I've heard a lot of good things about this movie, and it is a breakout year for Whedon. He deserves it.

My big problem with TDKR was how anticlimactic the final battle was, but the closing sequence soon after was done brilliantly, and actually improved the overall film's quality by several notches.
    I will agree with this. Even though the entire film was predictable and uninspired, the ending was well-earned catharsis.
    In a way, it was rewarding to see the poster child of brood find meaning and happiness in his life beyond kicking baddies in the face.

Now it's time to make Batman Beyond movies, with Michael Keaton showing up in the "and" credits as elderly Bruce Wayne.
    Man...that's asking for too much. Warner Bros. isn't that audacious. Bats and Supes are nothing but cash cows to them.
    And they're going to reboot the character in the upcoming Justice League project (which I still believe is a mistake).

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

I watched this stinker called The Avengers for the second time recently. I noticed a blooper (maybe) that I don't recall mentioned by the critics at the time the movie came out summer 2012.

According to the wikipedia entry on The Avengers:
    "The Asgardian Loki encounters the Other, the leader of an extraterrestrial race known as the Chitauri. In exchange for retrieving the Tesseract, a powerful energy source of unknown potential, the Other promises Loki an army with which he can subjugate Earth."

But what it doesn't mention is that the Other threatened Loki with a punishment worse than pain in case he fails.

At the end of the movie, Wikipedia states, "In the first of two post-credits scenes, the Other confers with his master about the failed attack on Earth and humanity's strength..."

So where was Loki's punishment? Or is that Other guy all talk?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Maybe they have bigger fish to fry (since they got their asses handed to them). Maybe he was "all talk". Maybe the Other can't reach him in Asgard. Maybe it will be a plot point in the upcoming Thor, Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers: Part II, etc.

I wouldn't call this a blooper, per se. That plot thread with Thanos and co. isn't closed--in fact, it hasn't really even begun.

(btw, just saw the new Capt. America trailer--looks badass, surprisingly).

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Duck_of_Death View Post
    Maybe they have bigger fish to fry. Maybe he was "all talk". Maybe the Other can't reac him in Asgard. Maybe it will be a plot point in the upcoming Thor, Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers: Part II, etc.

I wouldn't call this a blooper, per se. That plot thread with Thanos and co. isn't closed--in fact, it hasn't really even begun.
    Maybe this, maybe that. I don't like comic book movies that much. The poster for the movie even looks like a typical comic book cover - the two or three most popular characters in front, the less popular characters in the back.

For example, in this cover Aquaman is relegated to the back of the line:

I still can't get over the fact that in the final battle some of the Avengers were holding their right hands up to their ears and talking into space, thus enabling other Avengers to somehow hear them.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Maybe this, maybe that. I don't like comic book movies that much.
    Nobody is forcing you to watch them.
    That said, I am sick of them, too.

The poster for the movie even looks like a typical comic book cover - the two or three most popular characters in front, the less popular characters in the back.

For example, in this cover Aquaman is relegated to the back of the line:

Marketing. Aquaman doesn't sell merchandise--Superman does.
    Superman also has a more colorful, eye-catching costume.

Comics are a business after all. Gotta get dat paper.

I still can't get over the fact that in the final battle some of the Avengers were holding their right hands up to their ears and talking into space, thus enabling other Avengers to somehow hear them.
    Pretty sure in a movie featuring raging-id giant green monsters, bio-mechanical alien invaders who open portals in the sky, star-spangled super soldiers who throw metallic boomerang frisbees at foes and Norse Gods that wield enchanted mallets that allow the beholder trans-dimensional travel, you're meant to suspend disbelief...just a tad.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Nobody is forcing you to watch them.
    That said, I am sick of them, too.

Marketing. Aquaman doesn't sell merchandise--Superman does.

Pretty sure in a movie featuring raging-id giant green monsters, bio-mechanical alien invaders who open portals in the sky, star-spangled super soldiers who throw metallic boomerang frisbees at foes and Norse Gods that wield enchanted mallets that allow the beholder tran-dimensional travel, you're meant to suspend disbelief...just a tad.
    I suspend disbelief when I see monsters flying around using anti-gravity or something. I suspend disbelief when I see all those monsters collapse at once when the mothership is defeated and the portal is closed.

But there's got to be a mechanism of communication.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Meh.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Meh.
    Oh yes, I also suspend disbelief when it comes to the technology that went into Ironman's suit. But he can't possibly control his direction of flight using just his body or arms.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Cool.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Oh yes, I also suspend disbelief when it comes to the technology that went into Ironman's suit. But he can't possibly control his direction of flight using just his body or arms.
    Two answers:

One is flight surfaces, is a small nod to reality. Another is use of his hand thrusters (in combination with flight surfaces).

It's all fantastic silliness, but they do provide a small patina of possible technology.

Still, I found all the creatures collapsing when the dimensional portal was closed to be off-putting. A word or two of explanation would have helped... an overlay of alternate physics (a little like Vernor Vinge's regions of space)? A high tech network that the creatures had become dependent on? Some of kind of energy transmission? Just seemed lame without a veneer of pseudo-physics.