User Tag List

12 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Great works on strategy, martial artistry in the broader sense

A thread dedicated to the topic in the title, anyone any favourites or recommendations, I'm always looking for some.

WALMART

Yagyu Munenori has a philosophical text on The Sword and The Mind, strangely titled The Sword and The Mind.

I guess it depends if you're into that kind of stuff, mixing beliefs and actions. It really doesn't have much to do with exact martial arts; In fact, many places he explicity states the techniques he is trying to exemplify can only be taught verbally, so he doesn't even try. I guess it was written when paper was much more valuable than it is now, or he honestly feels it is something that cannot be described in text.

Another book I've enjoyed reading is John Keegan's The Face of Battle.

It has to do more with the evolution of the human aspect of battle, how soldiers react in the various situations battle has evolved into. The book is divided between three battles, Agincourt, Waterloo, and the Somme, all of which occur about 600 years apart but each fought within about twenty miles of each other on the same typography. It has really helped me develop the concept that modern battles have evolved into controlled skirmishing, that the average man no longer fights with honor but with fear and uncertainty.

Sniffles

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Master P is in tha house.

Enneagram
    9w8

Are you asking about martial arts in a general sense or are you interested in any one particular school of thought? I will ask my teacher if he has any thing he highly recommends.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ene View Post
    Are you asking about martial arts in a general sense or are you interested in any one particular school of thought? I will ask my teacher if he has any thing he highly recommends.
    I was thinking of it in the sense of strategists and martial prowess beyond giving battle and individual fighting abilities.

MBTI
    INFJ

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Tokugawa Ieyasu's manipulation of the Council of Regents and his strategic moves prior to the battle of Sekigahara during his assumption of the shogunate in Japan at the tail end of the 16th century have impressed me immensely.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Tokugawa Ieyasu's manipulation of the Council of Regents and his strategic moves prior to the battle of Sekigahara during his assumption of the shogunate in Japan at the tail end of the 16th century have impressed me immensely.
    Ieyasu was also a strong Go player. Coincidence or no?

Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I was thinking of it in the sense of strategists and martial prowess beyond giving battle and individual fighting abilities.
    I think that is a wonderful way to proceed. I will see my teacher tomorrow at our training session I will ask him what he recommends. He's a great guy that walks on a cane [he was in a car accident, but as you know, a cane can be a mighty weapon] and has been training longer than most of us have been alive. If anybody knows, it will be him.

Also, you would be interested in the healing aspects of martial arts and in the understanding of how energy moves and circulates throughout our bodies?