MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Most of them.

I prefer to dream up my own endings.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    The conclusion to the third book of Pullman's "His Dark Materials" story. A stupid fight. A stupid/thoughtless view of god not worthy of the rest of the story. It was a shame, I really really found the first two books to be wonderful.
    I thought the same thing. I love the first book, the second one was still pretty great, during the third one I thought, "Seriously? You've got to be kidding me." Basically the same problems I had with SUNSHINE, it could have been interesting but then it just turns silly.

Oh, and another movie that was pretty good and intriguing during its first two thirds is Wes Craven's "Red Eye", I loved the psychological mindgames the characters were playing. And then in the last third Craven decided to go all predictable "Let's chase the heroine up the stairs!" on us. Sigh.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    I thought the same thing. I love the first book, the second one was still pretty great, during the third one I thought, "Seriously? You've got to be kidding me." Basically the same problems I had with SUNSHINE, it could have been interesting but then it just turns silly.
    I didn't really see it as "silly" in that the question of whether human beings should bother to save themselves if the cosmos itself has decreed their fates is actually very very real to me. we've screwed up a lot on our planet and seem to bring terrible things with us no matter where we go, disrupting the balance of nature; is it really such a great loss for humanity to be wiped out by a natural event? Should we "play god" like that?

And there was a redemptive answer there -- in the response of the characters to Pinbacker, not necessarily in Pinbacker himself. Cassie, not wanting to remove Trey as merely a number in the equation; Mace doing what he did to save the ship (which balances out the sometimes harsh lines he took); Capa doing what he did in a heroic effort by him; I think Pinbacker just brought this horrific reality to the entire story and made us question whether we were even worth saving, and in the process of answering it, the characters ending up showing a kind of bravery and faith that suggests that "yes, we are."

Which is why it doesn't bother me. I guess if you focus on Pinbacker instead, then the movie is unsatisfying.

This is far different than Pullman's "cheap shot" at judeo-christian values in the third book. It was a hatchet job and not really worthy of the rest of the text.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

The ending of Sunshine by Danny Boyle was just unbelievably shit. I am not a big Boyle fan but at least the first two thirds of the movie were beautifully shot, philosophical and intriguing and then Boyle (SPOILER ALERT) decided to turn this whole thing into a slasher/ horror movie. He promised that he would deal in the movie with the conflict between science and faith, which is a great subject, but all Boyle did was to send a crazed, religious zealot through the spaceship who killed off members of the crew while uttering such great lines as: "I spoke with God. He told me to take us all to Heaven." Really Boyle? As a Christian I actually feel offended that that's all you have to offer on the subject.
    :/ I thought it took a very drastic turn as well.. I did enjoy that movie a lot, and I thought it was an extremely literal interpretation of the struggle between science and survival vs faith and God.. But I did not like how the guy was protrayed to be so insane. I sure understand pretty much being insane from being cooped up for months in a ship.. but I think the dude was almost incoherent by the time they found him. It wasn't a struggle of the mind at all-it was all taken to a literal, physical approach.. and people couldn't really relate to the faith side of it after that.. you wanted science to win, because faith and God seemed like a crazy killer aiming at taking all of us out because of a personal opinion. And I think the entire movie was much deeper than that..

I liked the way it ended, so far as
    but that aspect of it is a bit off-putting.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

They definitely did go for the "cheap shock value" in the movie ending, which is TOTALLY different from the tone set by the story. I think I was amused, surprised, and disgusted, while also being slightly admiring of the panache involved. ("Wow. They actually had the balls to do that.")
    Heh, well summed. Have you ever heard a joke that is so bad, but so bad, that is actually...kinda good?

I didn't really see it as "silly" in that the question of whether human beings should bother to save themselves if the cosmos itself has decreed their fates is actually very very real to me. we've screwed up a lot on our planet and seem to bring terrible things with us no matter where we go, disrupting the balance of nature; is it really such a great loss for humanity to be wiped out by a natural event? Should we "play god" like that?

And there was a redemptive answer there -- in the response of the characters to Pinbacker, not necessarily in Pinbacker himself. Cassie, not wanting to remove Trey as merely a number in the equation; Mace doing what he did to save the ship (which balances out the sometimes harsh lines he took); Capa doing what he did in a heroic effort by him; I think Pinbacker just brought this horrific reality to the entire story and made us question whether we were even worth saving, and in the process of answering it, the characters ending up showing a kind of bravery and faith that suggests that "yes, we are."

Which is why it doesn't bother me. I guess if you focus on Pinbacker instead, then the movie is unsatisfying.
    I think my dislike of the ending isn't helped by my general dislike of Boyle's style, I can see why people would love his movies but I hardly ever connect to his music choices or how he edits his movies etc so I just didn't have the patience to try to see the deeper philosophical meaning behind Pinbacker, I just thought "WTF was that ending Danny Boyle?"

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Movie called "Shades of Gray" .....

I'll ruin it now.

They all die. The wolf hunter dies by letting a wolf eat him.

The end.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    Movie called "Shades of Gray" .....

I'll ruin it now.

They all die. The wolf hunter dies by letting a wolf eat him.

The end.
    It could have been worse. It could have been "50 Shades of Grey"... (this comment just had to be made)

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

It could have been worse. It could have been "50 Shades of Grey"... (this comment just had to be made)
    yeah, I almost got it out of the way myself. haha.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

About Lost- I guess I wanted it all to tie back in to what the focus seemed to be more in the beginning. I loved how they were thrown into a situation together where they had to face/reconcile some sinister force (the others, who- the less we knew about them at first, the more sinister and possibly less human they seemed to be), all while reconciling that ‘otherness’ that existed between them within the group. Even Jin and Sun- who were a distinctive little ‘other’ group amongst them- had ‘otherness’ to reconcile between them. We’d see something scary about Jin from Sun’s perspective, then once we saw Jin’s perspective it made sense- e.g. Sun didn’t have access to what really happened that night before he came home with blood all over him. Or with Shannon and Boone: at first- from the ‘present’ perspective on the beach and Boone’s past perspective- she seems like a spoiled, whiny little bitch. But then her past perspective makes it understandable.

And- the way it drifted off that focus (the people) onto the ‘mystery of the island’ for awhile- I was hoping it would come back to the original focus and tie it all together like BAM! The ‘mystery’ of the island is really the ‘mystery’ of existence and being human that we live everyday without focusing on it! ASSUMING (stuff about ‘others’, all the fear and insecurity that contributes to the realities that we spin everyday, it’s a mystery of the human condition we neither think about nor focus on enough so it manifests in weird ways) MAKES AN ASS OUT OF U AND ME!!11! The mystery isn’t in the island, it’s in us! Soylent Green is people! …But instead we got the Dallas ‘it was all a dream’ ending. I had a friend who kept saying- the first couple seasons- “I am going to be so pissed if it turns out they were dead the whole time.” And I was all “There’s no way....” Lol.

Overall I still think it’s a really good series- I just would have been able to appreciate the end more, I think, if I’d been given a heads up and told it wasn’t going to lead to the epiphany I was hoping for. Then I could have just sat back and watched without the same expectations. I suspect I’ll be able to watch the end again and appreciate what’s there once the disappointment subsides.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari