Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    This is good.

[YOUTUBE="5anLPw0Efmo"]Evanescence[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="_RrA-R5VHQs"]Evanescence[/YOUTUBE]

Recycled but not horrible.

[YOUTUBE="4Mb473CFcUg"]Micmacs[/YOUTUBE]

Yeah some Evanescence is definitely decent.

I'll show you recent things that impress me (aside from what I already posted):

(ty for this one JTG in case ur watching and wonder y teh hell I take ur musick, I give u credit)

Nothing I posted is totally mainstream or totally obscure (I don't think) but what makes me complain is that in 1983 I could get an awesome selection just by flipping on the FM radio, and not so much now, it has to be hunted down on the Internet - which is actually fine, because it's the new medium of choice, but it's not even available from a particular source, it's got to be looked for by the musically inclined, and the more I think about it, the more I think about the young people who don't get more complex music just as a matter-of-fact.

Unless it's this:

...actually enjoy that one

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Hey what do you think about this?

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zESIvlv8flA"]Ravens & Wolves[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yHG_dgbgHU"]Ravens & Wolves[/YOUTUBE]
    That is @simulatedworld 's band!!!

I actually do like them, SRSLY.

MBTI
    INFJ

Kinda wish things were taken in a more downbeat, experimental direction. There's a lot of subtle things to do still to make an ambient experience rather than 'just a song'. I like Collide/The Secret Meeting a lot, it's odd that they don't get much play even though they have done soundtracks for several movies now I think. Karin has such an interesting voice and way of singing, too. It's kind of languid and dreamy to me.

I'd also love to see where the virtual diva thing takes off to. It can be hit or miss since people just buy the software and make stuff, but there's some talent out there (musically and visually) and it just keeps getting better, especially with the new voice banks that are coming closer to human. It's really interesting to have many people that contribute to one diva identity - they write a song and say it's Miku's song, kind of making a little piece of her virtual personality.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Kinda wish things were taken in a more downbeat, experimental direction. There's a lot of subtle things to do still to make an ambient experience rather than 'just a song'. I like Collide/The Secret Meeting a lot, it's odd that they don't get much play even though they have done soundtracks for several movies now I think. Karin has such an interesting voice and way of singing, too. It's kind of languid and dreamy to me.

I'd also love to see where the virtual diva thing takes off to. It can be hit or miss since people just buy the software and make stuff, but there's some talent out there (musically and visually) and it just keeps getting better, especially with the new voice banks that are coming closer to human. It's really interesting to have many people that contribute to one diva identity - they write a song and say it's Miku's song, kind of making a little piece of her virtual personality.

Um, hrm, I like the second one best...the third sounds like an annoying intro to an anime show, really bothersome to me in fact.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Um, hrm, I like the second one best...the third sounds like an annoying intro to an anime show, really bothersome to me in fact.
    Yeah I can kind of understand why that one could be annoying to some.
    Not necessarily my favorite either but, variety ya know.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Yeah I can kind of understand why that one could be annoying to some.
    Not necessarily my favorite either but, variety ya know.
    Yeah well not everyone's taste is the same, and that anime-metal sound drives me batshit, I think it's the epitome of other countries trying to sound American and just ending up sounding dorky. And I say this as someone who loves many, many aspects of Japanese culture and Japanese people.

But keep anime away from me, for the most part, unless it's super-great, and doesn't involve pseudo-80's-made-for-television-heavy-metal.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yeah well not everyone's taste is the same, and that anime-metal sound drives me batshit, I think it's the epitome of other countries trying to sound American and just ending up sounding dorky. And I say this as someone who loves many, many aspects of Japanese culture and Japanese people.

But keep anime away from me, for the most part, unless it's super-great, and doesn't involve pseudo-80's-made-for-television-heavy-metal.
    Speaking of Asia, though, I do love me some K-Pop.

MBTI
    INFJ

LOL that's true in a sense. I kind of grew out of anime myself too, unless it's really good or I'm watching it for ironic purposes.

Edit: and on that note I still remember Bubble Gum Crisis having such a cheesy and stereotypical rock soundtrack that I actually bought the CDs out of pure irony. It was so cheesy it was almost parody heheh.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

However, I do know what you mean about the original Bubble Gum pop of the early 60's. On the other hand, take into consideration that it was still original at that point, even if it lacked complexity. It was fresh, exciting.
    I mean check out this musical composition (even though he's just singing about love like every other pop singer of that era):

I know, I freakin' love these songs. People overlook 50s/early 60s pop because it's kinda sacchirine and twee, but the fact is they still hit you in the gut.

Nothing I posted is totally mainstream or totally obscure (I don't think) but what makes me complain is that in 1983 I could get an awesome selection just by flipping on the FM radio, and not so much now, it has to be hunted down on the Internet - which is actually fine, because it's the new medium of choice, but it's not even available from a particular source, it's got to be looked for by the musically inclined, and the more I think about it, the more I think about the young people who don't get more complex music just as a matter-of-fact.

Unless it's this:

...actually enjoy that one
    Yeah, I don't pay attention too much in mainstream pop but this one definitely made an impact on me.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I'm not sure if this can be considered pop or rock or whatever, but I think Within Temptation is also a band that has a lot of originality. But I agree that most popular songs are not very original.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy_UmgjXGk8"]Within Temptation - Faster[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sCkAvh50Vs"]Within Temptation - Stand my ground[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reGlno9aUpw"]Within Temptation - Mother Earth[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bqRn0rLq1c"]Within Temptation - Howling[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLz61g0JLxQ"]Within Temptation - Shot in the Dark[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK9qfVQ4Z04"]Within Temptation - Angels[/YOUTUBE]
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf