Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Duck_of_Death View Post
    Can't believe he is doing the Man of Steel soundtrack. No. Just no.
    I hope to God that John Williams' theme song is in the new movie. If not, I will be very pissed. Even more pissed than the fact Zack Snyder is directing (though I did like Watchmen).

And I liked both Danny Elfman and Elliot Goldenthal's Batman scores better than Zimmer's. Zimmer's is just too...repetitive. Elfman and Goldenthal scores have a distinct energy to them.

Sniffles

Miklós Rózsa. Did soundtracks for many classic Hollywood epics.
    [youtube="PabhBbNQOd0"]King of Kings[/youtube]
    [youtube="wcZg8nt3J-4"]Ben Hur[/youtube]

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    I hope to God that John Williams' theme song is in the new movie. If not, I will be very pissed. Even more pissed than the fact Zack Snyder is directing (though I did like Watchmen).

And I liked both Danny Elfman and Elliot Goldenthal's Batman scores better than Zimmer's.
    Nope. John William's score is not going to be featured.
    I pretty much abandoned all hope for Superman once they announced Snyder as the director.
    The lack of the iconic theme killed all interest on the spot.

And yes. Every other live-action Batman score wipes the floor with Zimmer's minimalist droning.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Duck_of_Death View Post
    I pretty much abandoned all hope for Superman once they announced Snyder as the director.
    Same here. It's pretty sad that my favorite of his movies is Sucker Punch...

I thought Don Davis' Matrix stuff was actually some of the best parts of the trilogy (especially in 2 & 3, considering the movie quality was dropping). He basically created a patterned musical tapestry that the orchestra had to memorize, because it would sure be a bitch to count out and play. But it gave the movie its own audial thumbprint. And the symphonic stuff was pretty good; I also enjoyed hearing him rip off Tristan and Isolde when the Deus ex Machina arrives.

I like David Julyan's moody and unsettling ambiance. His stuff lingers with me. I wish there was more of it.

I'm also a fan of Michael Giacchino, due to his versatility. I think he ended up scoring a lot of Abrams' stuff, which was emotionally evocative for me, but the first movie I really associated him with was the Incredibles, which has a very different score from what was coming out at the time.

John William's definitely has done some memorable stuff, although a lot of it felt too simple to me (it doesn't exactly mesh with my personality). I was kind of blown away by his score for A.I., because it didn't sound like stereotypical Williams at all. He normally has these very identifiable themes, but in that one, the musical was much more like a texture and tapestry.

I'd been a fan of Zimmer in the past, although I really haven't followed him much lately. I'm glad you mentioned Gladiator; the "battle waltz" was just brilliant. I remember watching some interviews with him and I did admire his courage, since he was discussing the fear that happens in trying to find the right way to approach something, that accentuates and individualizes the movie -- usually on such a tight time frame -- and that really resonated with me. At least at that point in time, he wasn't really rehashing much, he was doing a lot of new and interesting things.

I've even found James Newton Howard good at times; I like his soundtrack to The Sixth Sense, and remember how he had perceived the "power" as some kind of beast stalking about in the room, and that's what he wanted to bring out, he said once he got that image in his head, he could do it.

Before Alan Mencken started to rehash his ideas too much in the Disney formula, I thought he did a wonderful job of reinventing the studio's musical approach to its animated picture. It was all pretty appropriate at the time, and had a great sense of how to highlight theme and bring out the right emotions (serious, silly, solemn, aspiring, etc.) I just think he ended up doing it for too long and eventually anyone will become a cliche of themselves.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Same here. It's pretty sad that my favorite of his movies is Sucker Punch...
    I liked the Dawn of the Dead remake (though it doesn't come close to the original) and 300.
    He completely dropped the ball on Watchmen, though.

I never bothered to see Sucker Punch or the animated owl movie.
    I doubt that will change anytime soon.

And Giacchino--in my opinion--is the best composer to emerge in the past decade.
    His score for The Incredibles was legendary.

Even his work on Star Trek (which relied exclusively on an obnoxious five-note motif) managed to somehow enhance it.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Hans Zimmer, great composer.
    Chemical Brothers (Loved the music in Hannah, if it wasn't for the music I doubt I would have enjoyed the movie much. Which in itself wasn't really that good. But the music makes it work.)

and not really motion picture, but my favorite composer of all time nonetheless:

Nobou Uematsu, because he is so diverse.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh5McG4PryM"]Other world[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-0G_FI61a8"]To zanarkand[/YOUTUBE]
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Basil Poledouris , who done the original Conan soundtrack. The music of that film added a nice touch to the drama.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlDwtUKHpZQ

John Williams, another favorite who created many great movie scores.

Vangelis , also another great who done the Blade Runner score.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Howard Shore (I'm surprised he hasn't been mentioned yet - Lord of the Rings is a masterpiece, especially the extended score)
    Hans Zimmer (The Rock)
    John Williams
    James Newton Howard (Dinosaur)

For anime, Yoko Kanno (Wolf's Rain, Cowboy Bebop).

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Werewolfen View Post
    Basil Poledouris , who done the original Conan soundtrack. The music of that film added a nice touch to the drama.

Good choices. I forgot about Poledouris. His RoboCop theme was great, as was Conan.
    And Vangelis' Blade Runner score was subversive for the time.

I must mention Clint Mansell. His work on Requiem for a Dream and The Fountain were mind-blowing.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Werewolfen View Post

Good choices. I forgot about Poledouris. His RoboCop theme was great, as was Conan.
    And Vangelis' Blade Runner score was subversive for the time.

I must mention Clint Mansell. His work on Requiem for a Dream and The Fountain was mind-blowing.