• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mother of all music surveys

Check all that apply, other folks can see what you pick.

• Total voters

heart

heart on fire
Server willing a survey is coming! :D

Edit: I am sure this poll reveals my USA centric view of music. Sorry if anyone's music was not included. Please post and tell us if you feel your favorites were not covered by the poll. Thank you for participating in my poll. :)

I already see I neglected punk, there are only 20 choices allowed, something had to give. *sigh*

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
Hehe, I was actually thinking about making a pull much like this. I was thinking about which genre options to choose though, and it discouraged me. I see I am the only one who likes death metal so far. Not really a fan of pure death metal, but a huge fan of the progressive death metal band Opeth, plus I love Disillusion, but haven't listened nowhere near as much to them.

heart

heart on fire
Hehe, I was actually thinking about making a pull much like this. I was thinking about which genre options to choose though, and it discouraged me...

Yes, it could have easily had twice as many choices but the poll only takes 20.

tenINsFJ

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w9
Good post!

I absolutely love classical music from the Romantic era... Good Liszt or Chopin.. MmmmmM. I guess Rachmaninoff also even though he composed Romantic stuff after that period was over. Some of those pieces can really touch deep into the soul.

redacted

Hehe, I was actually thinking about making a pull much like this. I was thinking about which genre options to choose though, and it discouraged me. I see I am the only one who likes death metal so far. Not really a fan of pure death metal, but a huge fan of the progressive death metal band Opeth, plus I love Disillusion, but haven't listened nowhere near as much to them.

OPETH!!!!!!!!!!! i'm listening to them right now :)

yeah, they're the only death metal band i've ever had the slightest interest in. and they're definitely tied for my favorite band...

(opeth, tool, porcupine tree, the mars volta)

the problem is, it's hard to put those groups into a clean genre.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
Hm, I've read about the theory that SJ's don't like metal. Will you be able to draw such conclusions?

heart

heart on fire
Hm, I've read about the theory that SJ's don't like metal. Will you be able to draw such conclusions?

We probably don't have enough SJ posting here to tell much, but maybe get some kind of rough idea.

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
The maximum amount of poll choices are regrettable. Many of the genres listed have so many subfields! Voted regardless.

I might as well list some of my favourite subgenres:

Metal -
* Melodic Death
* Power
* Progressive
* Symphonic

Jazz -
* Acid
* Nu-Jazz (also an electonic subfield)
* Smooth

Electronic -
* Ambient
* Darkwave
* Downtempo
* Harsh EBM (sort of new to this)
* House
* Industrial / Tribal Industrial
* Trance / Dark Trance
* Trip-Hop

Also like experimental music, fusions of the above genres as well as the voted options, etc.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
1) Some of the categories, I like only one or two bands in that genre, so I'm not sure if I should check them.

2) What is "big band"?

3) I would have liked a prog rock option, too....and I would maybe distinguish classic rock from new rock. But that's just me. Pretty good poll options given the limitations. :)

Oso Mocoso

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Pretty good poll options given the limitations. :)

Yeah, given the limitations. But some of the picks were kinda weird in what was broken out as its own category and which were glued together by a slash.

For instance, bluegrass / folk - I seriously hate bluegrass but I listen to a lot of folk music. So, I didn't select that option. I like Irish music, but I don't like new agey shite like Enya. Still, I held my nose and picked New Age/Celtic even though Irish folk was probably meant to go in the other category. It was just that I find Enya in association less odious than bluegrass.

Also, I like Latin music but not salsa. Salsa is rather damn specific to have its own category. I picked it only because it seemed like the only category where Latin music would belong.

And I'm not surprised how many picks rock is getting considering a lot of the other options are subsets of rock music - ie., who is going to pick indie rock + even more specific rock subgenres and not also pick rock?

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
2) What is "big band"?

Music from the 1940s, like Benny Goodman, Artie Shaw, Tommy Dorsey.
"Swing."

Jae Rae

Last edited:

heart

heart on fire
Oso said:
Endless, niggling complaints about issues already apologized for in the OP

How is there no "Blues" option? And how is there no "Tom Waits" option?

:shock:

For Jeff and Oso:

Good grief how many times can it be said? There were only 20 choice slots available and it grew out of the post wondering which type is more likely to like metal.

Anyone else may make their own poll if they don't like the way this one was set up.

Someone could make more specific genre poll, like for rock and have all the possible choices within rock or whatever. Use your time and energy to do it if it really bugs you that much.

Oso Mocoso

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Someone could make more specific genre poll, like for rock and have all the possible choices within rock or whatever. Use your time and energy to do it if it really bugs you that much.

If it actually bugged me, I wouldn't have praised you along with nitpicky criticism, I'd have damned you with condescending praise. :hug:

heart

heart on fire
hand-says-stop.jpg

It's too late to apologize.