User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Arnold is hilarious.. that's part of his charm.

Watch any DVD commentary with arnold too. That shit's funny.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Roger Ebert gave the new one it 3 stars out of 4. Rotten Tomatoes gave it 21% thus far. I'm gonna bet Roger is the senile one here.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yes, it was a downer when the reviews of Total Recall were not released until sometime on Thursday. It left me feeling like they were holding them as long as possible, to avoid having the opening day gutted; it's never a great sign.

The initial score was 9%, so I'm thrilled to see it up around 31-32% now. Huzzah! More seriously, not even sure the marks matter; a few of the movies I've seen in the last year and not liked very much were touted in the 70-90% range.

Reading some of the reviews, most of the complaints seem to be more gripes about how the (1) remake doesn't cover new ground and (2) the source material raised a bunch of provocative questions that would have easily made a great movie and were completely squandered. The fact that it's a remake -- and riffs more on the first adaptation of the story rather than going back to the original story -- makes item #2 seem even worse. So it's not necessarily that it's a horrible movie, it's more that it should have been better. Those who have been looking at it as action/summer fare seem to have been more forgiving.

Which is disappointing... the one thing that I can recall from the first movie is the twist, when you find out who was involved in setting up Quaid. For the life of me, I can't understand why Wiseman would avoid dealing with the premise of "what is real" in this film, which is especially made for that kind of questioning. I wasn't thrilled to see who wrote the script, since most of his scripts seem to have been duds; hasn't anyone figured out that if you can make a smart action picture versus a stupid one, the smart one will resonate far longer than pure action? I'm betting more people own Minority Report than Transporter 1, for example.

And I actually really like Wiseman's Underworld stuff -- the first two movies. They aren't Shakespeare, but at least had enough richness in the characters (and decent actors -- I mean, he even snagged Derek Jacobi in the second), and a few plot complexities to make things interesting.

It seems to be a shame to go to the trouble of doing a remake, and then following the first adapation instead of starting over a bit, and stripping out workable elements from the first and not replacing them with something unique. I really dislike many Arnold films -- they're pure cheese, usually, although I have a soft spot for Predator, and the novelty of seeing Alyssa Milano in Commando [and the now long forgotten "Next Thing" Rae Dawn Chong!] is fun), so I didn't mind a more serious remake, but why not take things to the next level rather than just playing them safe and boring? The road has been paved for meta-movies, and this one could have been fascinating if they had kept addressing the notion of "what is real?" in the movie.

Anyway, I'll probably have more to say after I see it.

EDIT: I just noticed RT only gave Underworld a 32% or something, and Evolution only a 16%. I've already watched both of those movies a number of times more than MI:4 (which I barely stomached the first time), which got a rating of somehere around 92%.

So yeah, screw it.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    Roger Ebert gave the new one it 3 stars out of 4. Rotten Tomatoes gave it 21% thus far. I'm gonna bet Roger is the senile one here.
    rodger ebert gave "babe in the city" a good review. they lost their credibility long ago.
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Well, I saw it. I'll say I definitely think the RT Pool o' Critics was too harsh on it, they were a bit unfair.

I'll probably be stoned for saying this, but I think I'm more likely to watch it again than Prometheus or TDKR. (Well, I might relent on Prometheus, because I want to watch the starmap and cataract visuals and see Michael Fassbender again as David.)

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

In case any of you don't have it, I just watched the 1990 version of Total Recall online for free:
    http://www.onlinemoviefree4u.com/201...call-1990.html

Interesting. There's a LOT of stuff that shows up in both movies, but the second movie uses the details differently or puts a different spin on everything. Here are some of the similarities/differences:

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    In case any of you don't have it, I just watched the 1990 version of Total Recall online for free:
    http://www.onlinemoviefree4u.com/201...call-1990.html

Interesting. There's a LOT of stuff that shows up in both movies, but the second movie uses the details differently or puts a different spin on everything. Here are some of the similarities/differences:
    And don't forget the spin on
    I nearly cried laughing.

It was almost like Christopher Nolan's interpretation of the original. That said, I liked the original better, although the remake was a much more awesome movie to look at due to the advancements in visual effects technology. The amount of detail in the matte paintings created environments was astounding. The art direction as a whole was beautiful. I loved looking at the seemingly floating ghetto neighborhoods and the futuristic car chases were also fun. The robot cops were also seamless.

But I didn't get why the three-boobed hooker was even in the 2012 movie, since it was not about mutants. (This isn't really a spoiler because she's in the trailer.)

Overall, the remake was much more cautious due to the studio cash cow trying to reach a broader audience, and therefore tone the content down. No, sadly, Quaid doesn't use a bloody corpse as a shield in this one, and only CG robots lose their arms when they're caught between the ceiling and the elevator, and finally, no...ahem...eye-popping special effects.

But thankfully, the next futuristic thriller remake coming out this summer has a confirmed R rating, so I'm looking forward to Dredd, a remake (or even reimagining) of the Sly Stallone cult classic Judge Dredd, which, with the exception of Rob Schneider, was a lot of fun.

And Harry Gregson-Williams is a clone of Hans Zimmer. Jerry Goldsmith's score in the original was so awesome and inventive. May he rest in peace.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    ... the remake was a much more awesome movie to look at due to the advancements in visual effects technology. The amount of detail in the matte paintings created environments was astounding. The art direction as a whole was beautiful. I loved looking at the seemingly floating ghetto neighborhoods and the futuristic car chases were also fun. The robot cops were also seamless.
    I agree with all that. It really felt like the place was real, and almost like being in some Singaporean grunged-out futuristic locale. In 1990, everything was pretty clearly a set.

But I didn't get why the three-boobed hooker was even in the 2012 movie, since it was not about mutants. (This isn't really a spoiler because she's in the trailer.)
    Total homage. Like I noted, there's a number of things that seemed to be tossed in "just because." Like the plump woman at the checkpoint.

The hooker actually made news because I think she went to Comic*Con with her boobs on, and people were trying to either grope her or thought maybe two of the three were her real boobs, that she was putting on display. I forget where I saw the article.

Overall, the remake was much more cautious due to the studio cash cow trying to reach a broader audience, and therefore tone the content down. No, sadly, Quaid doesn't use a bloody corpse as a shield in this one,
    Yeah, I had totally forgotten about that! What's funny is that I was very immersed in the church at the time, and it was in the same era people had openly complained about "Amy Grant crossing over [to secular music] without the Cross", and now I recall getting into a huge nasty debate about whether it was moral for him to use the guy as a shield.

To me, it was clearly not a big deal because the guy was already dead. It would have been different if he had just grabbed some screaming guy and used him as a meatshield, from a moral standpoint.

Still, it was pretty bloody in the 1990 version.

Harry Gregson-Williams is a clone of Hans Zimmer.
    He was pretty forgettable in this movie.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

It might be good, Colin Farrell is a good actor. Last movie I saw with him in it was Fright Night and that too was a remake.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Werewolfen View Post
    It might be good, Colin Farrell is a good actor. Last movie I saw with him in it was Fright Night and that too was a remake.
    He wasn't bad in the remake, he was kind of a badass -- I saw the Chris Sarandon version long ago with a few years after it came out.

I like Farrell best in Phone Booth and in Minority Report, I think.