User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: D&D

Default D&D

So my friends and I are starting to get into Dungeons and Dragons. We've bought books, dice and printed off character sheets.

Just last night one friend and I sat down and created out characters. It took us 3 hours of pretty much straight working. We've yet to actually play a game, though.

Anyway, wondering if anyone here plays D&D and, if you do, what kind of advice you can offer concerning making gameplay fun and interesting. I've heard it can either be a lot of fun or really dry and boring. I'd love for us to have the fun experience.

And if you just want to use this thread to talk about how much you like/dislike/used to beat up on kids who played D&D, that's cool too.

MBTI
    STUF

The fun all revolves around having an enthusiastic and adaptable dungeon master, which edition are you getting into?
    Whoops.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

I used to! 4.0 is fun because it's balanced, but also boring because it's balanced . I hated 1 spell kill the universe by level 20+ wizard in 3.5 though. In 4.0 I played a dragonborn paladin that was fucking awesome! D:

I would suggest min/Max if you're interested in an easy fun game experience that let's you delve into the social/exploration aspect of the game more. I personally am drawn to weird custom PCs based off of things in the monster's manual like a rogue Ithilid fighting for good lol
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    INTP

I play a D&D online RPG. It's largely powergaming and not much roleplaying. But it's based on the source books, I think version 3.5 or something like that. Very deep and well done. Customized for balance and other aspects. Send me a PM if you want more info.

In another life I was a table-top D&D player.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Is it hard to get into? How addicting is it?

I've always been curious, but I'd rather not waste the precious time I spend stalking this forum.

I never played much. There used to be a group of friends that did, but I haven't seen them in a long time. I always liked it though. It was a way to waste time and drink and bullshit or flip through cool books. I guess do that? Why is any social gathering a fun time?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I loathe D&D. I might feel better about it if I had tried it out with a DM who wasn't so combat focused. With 3.5 and with the default idea that you're doing figurine combat on D&D bought maps and D&D bought figures and paints.. it's like just playing a really slow computer strategic combat game where you have to do the calculations yourself and you spent a fortune for. I'd rather just be drinking.

Maybe I'd give roleplaying games another go if I knew somebody was running to story based games, like White Wolf or something.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

I haven't played for years, but the DM makes the game. Our normal DM kept things moving and interesting, but then another member of the group wanted to DM and it was a disaster. He was so hung up on making it as *real* as possible--we had to calculate if our character could actually carry any treasure we found in addition to all our weapons, would your elf really be able to go all day without eating and still fight that monster?--too detail-oriented and it bogged down the game and made it tedious. You need a DM who can balance how much *reality* to insist upon with the need to keep things moving.
    Johari / Nohari

“That we are capable only of being what we are remains our unforgivable sin.” ― Gene Wolfe

reminder to self: "That YOU that you are so proud of is a story woven together by your interpreter module to account for as much of your behavior as it can incorporate, and it denies or rationalizes the rest." "Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain" by Michael S. Gazzaniga

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'll post more later, I need to run out shortly for a Pathfinder session of all things (which is basically AD&D 3.75).

I'm a long-term D&D fan (got my first game gear at age 12, with the Basic & Expert boxed sets and then all the 1st Edition hardcovers, so I have seen the game and a number of other RPGs grow and change over the long years....

My advice would be similar to Eilonwy's right now, though, at the core. The game tonight is just a sub-DM or I might have quit; the guy knows the rules backwards and forwards, but is not very imaginative and is kinda straight-laced and by the book; the only thing that makes the game interesting for me are the other players. The banter and not "following the expected path" appeals to my sensibilities.

The other game I'm in -- a long-term campaign -- is actually much better because the Game Master is far more interested in a collaborative effort with the players to tell the most interesting story possible, and he implements various rules and devices to encourage that. Yes, we do roll dice, but we don't get hung up on mechanics -- which IMO are just there to implement story. The entire game is focused on creating distinct and noteworthy characters and letting the characters drive the action and outcomes.

I'll explain more later when I get some more time.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    I used to! 4.0 is fun because it's balanced, but also boring because it's balanced . I hated 1 spell kill the universe by level 20+ wizard in 3.5 though. In 4.0 I played a dragonborn paladin that was fucking awesome! D:
    I really would love to go back and create a slew of 1st Edition characters and run the hell out of them. Especially a bard. Who cares about balance? Mua ha ha!

I'm playing a sorceress of dragon lineage in the one campaign; but the campaign I like better, I'm a Witch. It's freaking awesome, as I have a familiar to store spells, I can cast hexes (which are basically unlimited castings of my particular hexes with the caveat that a particular hex can only affect someone once every 24 hours), and I've been creeping everyone out even at only second level. This oughta be fun.

I would suggest min/Max if you're interested in an easy fun game experience that let's you delve into the social/exploration aspect of the game more. I personally am drawn to weird custom PCs based off of things in the monster's manual like a rogue Ithilid fighting for good lol
    That sounds cool. I always try to make unique characters or put a twist into things somehow... doing the unexpected.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft