• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

D&D

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
So my friends and I are starting to get into Dungeons and Dragons. We've bought books, dice and printed off character sheets.

Just last night one friend and I sat down and created out characters. It took us 3 hours of pretty much straight working. :laugh: We've yet to actually play a game, though.

Anyway, wondering if anyone here plays D&D and, if you do, what kind of advice you can offer concerning making gameplay fun and interesting. I've heard it can either be a lot of fun or really dry and boring. I'd love for us to have the fun experience.

And if you just want to use this thread to talk about how much you like/dislike/used to beat up on kids who played D&D, that's cool too. :D

Gish

Which side are you on?
MBTI Type
PTSD
The fun all revolves around having an enthusiastic and adaptable dungeon master, which edition are you getting into?

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I used to! 4.0 is fun because it's balanced, but also boring because it's balanced :laugh:. I hated 1 spell kill the universe by level 20+ wizard in 3.5 though. In 4.0 I played a dragonborn paladin that was fucking awesome! D:

I would suggest min/Max if you're interested in an easy fun game experience that let's you delve into the social/exploration aspect of the game more. I personally am drawn to weird custom PCs based off of things in the monster's manual like a rogue Ithilid fighting for good lol

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
I play a D&D online RPG. It's largely powergaming and not much roleplaying. But it's based on the source books, I think version 3.5 or something like that. Very deep and well done. Customized for balance and other aspects. Send me a PM if you want more info.

In another life I was a table-top D&D player.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Is it hard to get into? How addicting is it?

I've always been curious, but I'd rather not waste the precious time I spend stalking this forum. :ninja:

KDude

I never played much. There used to be a group of friends that did, but I haven't seen them in a long time. I always liked it though. It was a way to waste time and drink and bullshit or flip through cool books. I guess do that? Why is any social gathering a fun time?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I loathe D&D. I might feel better about it if I had tried it out with a DM who wasn't so combat focused. With 3.5 and with the default idea that you're doing figurine combat on D&D bought maps and D&D bought figures and paints.. it's like just playing a really slow computer strategic combat game where you have to do the calculations yourself and you spent a fortune for. I'd rather just be drinking.

Maybe I'd give roleplaying games another go if I knew somebody was running to story based games, like White Wolf or something.

Eilonwy

Vulnerability
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I haven't played for years, but the DM makes the game. Our normal DM kept things moving and interesting, but then another member of the group wanted to DM and it was a disaster. He was so hung up on making it as *real* as possible--we had to calculate if our character could actually carry any treasure we found in addition to all our weapons, would your elf really be able to go all day without eating and still fight that monster?--too detail-oriented and it bogged down the game and made it tedious. You need a DM who can balance how much *reality* to insist upon with the need to keep things moving.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'll post more later, I need to run out shortly for a Pathfinder session of all things (which is basically AD&D 3.75).

I'm a long-term D&D fan (got my first game gear at age 12, with the Basic & Expert boxed sets and then all the 1st Edition hardcovers, so I have seen the game and a number of other RPGs grow and change over the long years....

My advice would be similar to Eilonwy's right now, though, at the core. The game tonight is just a sub-DM or I might have quit; the guy knows the rules backwards and forwards, but is not very imaginative and is kinda straight-laced and by the book; the only thing that makes the game interesting for me are the other players. The banter and not "following the expected path" appeals to my sensibilities.

The other game I'm in -- a long-term campaign -- is actually much better because the Game Master is far more interested in a collaborative effort with the players to tell the most interesting story possible, and he implements various rules and devices to encourage that. Yes, we do roll dice, but we don't get hung up on mechanics -- which IMO are just there to implement story. The entire game is focused on creating distinct and noteworthy characters and letting the characters drive the action and outcomes.

I'll explain more later when I get some more time.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I used to! 4.0 is fun because it's balanced, but also boring because it's balanced :laugh:. I hated 1 spell kill the universe by level 20+ wizard in 3.5 though. In 4.0 I played a dragonborn paladin that was fucking awesome! D:

I really would love to go back and create a slew of 1st Edition characters and run the hell out of them. Especially a bard. Who cares about balance? Mua ha ha!

I'm playing a sorceress of dragon lineage in the one campaign; but the campaign I like better, I'm a Witch. It's freaking awesome, as I have a familiar to store spells, I can cast hexes (which are basically unlimited castings of my particular hexes with the caveat that a particular hex can only affect someone once every 24 hours), and I've been creeping everyone out even at only second level. This oughta be fun. :)

I would suggest min/Max if you're interested in an easy fun game experience that let's you delve into the social/exploration aspect of the game more. I personally am drawn to weird custom PCs based off of things in the monster's manual like a rogue Ithilid fighting for good lol

That sounds cool. I always try to make unique characters or put a twist into things somehow... doing the unexpected.

KDude

Some video game RPGs have the same problems too. Some developers might focus on making a game a simulator rather than a roleplaying game. Somehow they don't understand that those are completely different things.

G

Ginkgo

So my friends and I are starting to get into Dungeons and Dragons. We've bought books, dice and printed off character sheets.

Just last night one friend and I sat down and created out characters. It took us 3 hours of pretty much straight working. :laugh: We've yet to actually play a game, though.

Anyway, wondering if anyone here plays D&D and, if you do, what kind of advice you can offer concerning making gameplay fun and interesting. I've heard it can either be a lot of fun or really dry and boring. I'd love for us to have the fun experience.

And if you just want to use this thread to talk about how much you like/dislike/used to beat up on kids who played D&D, that's cool too. :D

The fine point of D&D is that it's fluid and once you understand all the rules you need to know to play your game (character stats, DM preferences, campaign rules), you can let the game take shape in a form that, compared to video games or other board games, is very free-style. The other dimension of the game involves roleplaying. Using an accent to suite your character's dialogue, wearing something that's relevant, or sketching a picture of how you envision your character to be enhances the experience. Your DM might also give you experience points for doing so. The details of the game are a bit overwhelming (I would get the 3.5 rulebook since the player sheets will be more balanced and the classes available are more diverse that previous versions), but truck through it anyway. Nobody ever gained anything by not taking risks. :)

Aside from that, have fun! :hug:

ALSO! Don't invest in a single character too much. Chances are, you're going to get screwed in your first campaign. Imagine you're a surgeon; do your best, but be prepared to let go if you fuck up. Lol.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Some video game RPGs have the same problems too. Some developers might focus on making a game a simulator rather than a roleplaying game. Somehow they don't understand that those are completely different things.

True. It's like people who try to write stories who just want to basically describe how a bunch of stuff works realistically and have no idea how to engage and inspire an audience; most people don't play games as a similar hobby to reading their engine manuals and electric wiring schematics, they play games to have fun and create an experience together.

The benefits of a computer game at least are that all that crappy number crunching is done instantaneously by computer -- which means you can have some pretty complex rules, but from the player's end it can still look pretty simple. For tabletop, the more simple the math and game system can be made, though, the better.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've always wanted to try D&D but never had friends with the same interest.

I've enjoyed D&D based videogames though, like Arcanum, Temple of Elemental Evil, etc.

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
The fun all revolves around having an enthusiastic and adaptable dungeon master, which edition are you getting into?

Edition 4. It was funny, when I was at the game store buying some books for it, the dude at the counter went on a tirade about how 4 is so much less fun than 3, but since he wasn't able to articulate any good reasons for why 3 was better, I stuck with edition 4. Dunno if I'll regret that but really, if I don't have anything to compare it to, I don't see what I'll be missing.

I would suggest min/Max if you're interested in an easy fun game experience that let's you delve into the social/exploration aspect of the game more.

What's min/max?

The other game I'm in -- a long-term campaign -- is actually much better because the Game Master is far more interested in a collaborative effort with the players to tell the most interesting story possible, and he implements various rules and devices to encourage that. Yes, we do roll dice, but we don't get hung up on mechanics -- which IMO are just there to implement story. The entire game is focused on creating distinct and noteworthy characters and letting the characters drive the action and outcomes.

Sounds like my kind of gameplay. I really don't want it to turn into a slog of rules and regulations and I don't get the sense that the friend who's going to be our DM wants to either. But I do recognize that a certain amount of rule-abiding is necessary for game flow and structure. Do you think there's such a thing as being too lax with the rules? I guess it all depends on who you play with. What have you, personally, found to be the ideal?

The fine point of D&D is that it's fluid and once you understand all the rules you need to know to play your game (character stats, DM preferences, campaign rules), you can let the game take shape in a form that, compared to video games or other board games, is very free-style. The other dimension of the game involves roleplaying. Using an accent to suite your character's dialogue, wearing something that's relevant, or sketching a picture of how you envision your character to be enhances the experience. Your DM might also give you experience points for doing so. The details of the game are a bit overwhelming (I would get the 3.5 rulebook since the player sheets will be more balanced and the classes available are more diverse that previous versions), but truck through it anyway. Nobody ever gained anything by not taking risks. :)

Aside from that, have fun! :hug:

ALSO! Don't invest in a single character too much. Chances are, you're going to get screwed in your first campaign. Imagine you're a surgeon; do your best, but be prepared to let go if you fuck up. Lol.

Haha...good advice! :D How much would you say you typically delve into the roleplaying aspect? I love the idea of this part (already have an outfit picked out lol) but I'm not sure how much my friends are. I'm thinking of just going all out and have them see how much fun I'm having and then they'll want to, too. :p

But yeah, I think a large part of why we've kind of stagnated in moving forward with actually playing is that a lot of us have become overwhelmed by the details. It's really just that one friend I made the characters with and I who are bothering at all to read the rulebooks. But I suppose we can always teach the others what we've learned. How did you first get into it? Did you read the rules with a bunch of friends and then just jump in together or did you start out with those more experienced and learned the most as you went along?

I've enjoyed D&D based videogames though, like Arcanum, Temple of Elemental Evil, etc.

You should try meetup.com! I know they've got it for the Netherlands and I've seen more than a few listings for D&D groups in my city that freely take on less experienced players. Maybe they'll have something similar for where you live. :)

Also! General question for everyone: what's a good number of people to have in a game, in your experience? I hear too few is nearly impossible and too many just gets boring. Is there a "sweet spot" of some kind?

acronach

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It took us 3 hours of pretty much straight working. :laugh: We've yet to actually play a game, though.

been there, lol. Setup goes a lot faster if you have at least 1 really experienced person in your group, but then all the work gets dumped on them because they have to walk everyone else through every single thing about their characters.

agreement here

Is it hard to get into? How addicting is it?

I've always been curious, but I'd rather not waste the precious time I spend stalking this forum. :ninja:

hard to get into, but ya, addicting (kinda, depending on the people you're playing with)

I imagine there's a forum or something online somewhere. Something like D&D it's impossible for an internet community that revolves around it not to exist. Finding it might be a challenge though, worst comes to worse, you could just settle for the RPG

I'm not really that experienced, but i at least know the basics. A bunch of people got into it at camp 1 time. It was a 3-week camp that kept us really busy, took us a week to set up and play it like 3 times, then we all kinda forgot about it.

G

Ginkgo

Haha...good advice! :D How much would you say you typically delve into the roleplaying aspect? I love the idea of this part (already have an outfit picked out lol) but I'm not sure how much my friends are. I'm thinking of just going all out and have them see how much fun I'm having and then they'll want to, too. :p

But yeah, I think a large part of why we've kind of stagnated in moving forward with actually playing is that a lot of us have become overwhelmed by the details. It's really just that one friend I made the characters with and I who are bothering at all to read the rulebooks. But I suppose we can always teach the others what we've learned. How did you first get into it? Did you read the rules with a bunch of friends and then just jump in together or did you start out with those more experienced and learned the most as you went along?

I was introduced through friends who already knew how to play, 2 of whom had been playing for 3+ years. You can imagine that they were neck-deep in their ability to work out fantasy scenarios. I was very reckless and dropped into the game playing an evil cleric who was hacked to pieces by some random brawler after putting a homeless person to death just to take his shoes. Then I played as a bard (the infamous troll class), and brought my guitar to sing with a very... er... flamboyant tone. half-elf and all. Playing the bard was the most fun because I used cantrips to cheat at craps. Honestly, I had so much trouble easing in to the role-playing aspect because I would over-role-play; consequentially my friends thought I was of the chaotic evil alignment irl.

Honestly, it's going to suck if you don't memorize your stats and character sheets. If I were you I would play multiple times a week. It's also a good drinking game if you're into that sort of thing.

Holy shit, I want to play with you. :cry:

Just read the basic know how of the rulebooks and then keep them on hand for further reference during the game. I wish you luck in Kalimdor or Runescape or wherever you guys... do shit. Lol. :D

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
been there, lol. Setup goes a lot faster if you have at least 1 really experienced person in your group, but then all the work gets dumped on them because they have to walk everyone else through every single thing about their characters.

I think with the new editions, character setup takes the longest in the process but play isn't too bad. Not sure how D&D 4 is, but D&D 3.5, you're just getting your stat bonuses, skill point totals, etc. figured out. Once you get that done, all you're doing during play is rolling a d20 and adjusting it by your bonuses... and maybe rolling damage. Pretty basic stuff.

I imagine there's a forum or something online somewhere. Something like D&D it's impossible for an internet community that revolves around it not to exist. Finding it might be a challenge though, worst comes to worse, you could just settle for the RPG

There are various forums out there. And as someone else made the suggestion, I used Meetup.com to find my current gaming groups. It's helpful.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sounds like my kind of gameplay. I really don't want it to turn into a slog of rules and regulations and I don't get the sense that the friend who's going to be our DM wants to either. But I do recognize that a certain amount of rule-abiding is necessary for game flow and structure. Do you think there's such a thing as being too lax with the rules? I guess it all depends on who you play with. What have you, personally, found to be the ideal?

It does depend on who you play with, you need people to agree on how "fuzzy" you're going to be with the system. Otherwise you get some players who just want to make things up as they go, vs the rules hounds who are really good at looking at a system and figurin out how to leverage the rules to get the maximum effect of the character they want to play. (This is pretty prevalent in MMOs too; knocking down some stats to maximize the stats your character relies on, having the right gear and skills and spell setups to hit the maximum possible impact of the stuff you want your character to be good at; etc.)

Any type can work, if you can play by that particular agreement. I prefer a more medium approach; I'm decent with systems and knowing how to leverage the rules to do what I want, however I don't like to be dependent on the pure luck and pre-writing of the character, I value the talk around the table, interacting with other characters, making a cool dramatic story together. So typically, yeah, people need to still make rolls, but I think everything bogs down when the GM is checking for encumberance and getting really tedious with checking for EVERYTHING when you just want to walk down a hallway. The one game is pretty rational. The GM routinely asks you to make a Perception check, for example; and sometimes there might be details you'll miss but you won't know what they were; players will play within character and not search harder just because they missed a roll. Basically there's an underlying agreement that players won't abuse rolls out of character, and the GM won't make you roll for every little thing along the way.

To help with characterization, my GM for the Redgate game (that's the city's name) I play had us all pick we don't really use alignment (although my character would be Chaotic Neutral, I think... never played that before). Instead, along with Traits (in the Pathfinder rulebook, which give bonuses based on character background), the GM told us to pick Aspects, which are traits of note about your character's personality. These Aspects typically will dominate in roleplaying exchanges, and when you play into an Aspect of your character, he rewards you with a Fate card. This is a deck of cards (purchased elsewhere) that has a general topic on it, plus an effect, plus four potential scenarios listed. You can then spent a Fate card at any point in the game, whenever you want to improve a die roll OR you want to insert one of the things on the card into gameplay.

For example, I got a Schadenfreude card last session, with options on it to bring some kind of harm to someone else... like "It stops raining and the crops fail" or "Your opponent trips and falls in a hole" or other one-liners. I used it when I happened to perceive an alchemist who was stalking our group in some tunnels sneaking up with some fragile bottles in hand.... when I played the card, the alchemist of course fumbled the bottles he was carrying and ended up blowing part of himself up rather than us. ANother Fate card basically allowed us to make an NPC part of the ongoing storyline -- in our case, one grunt survived the zombie onslaught upon the town that we were caught in, and ended up being a local hero and moving up in the ranks. The experience left him a bit crazy from PTSD, but now he goes along with us and serves as an extra character of sorts, although the GM controls him.

Aspects win you a Fate card because playing them realistically often leaves you at a disadvantage. For example, our bard is a Know-It-All... whenver there's a chance to learn something, even when inconvenient or dangerous, he still is tempted to get in there and figure it out... or when it would be best not to create conflict, he gets into a pissing match about whether he knows more than an NPC in their field of expertise. So when he plays into that, he gets a Fate card. One of my character's Aspects is Suspicious -- even when someone is being on the level and could be helpful to me, I will usually still be skeptical and wary of their motivations and might even respond in a way that sours them toward me. The Fate cards help balance things out and make the story more interesting because the players actually get the ability to change the plot of the story when playing the cards, rather than the GM being totally in charge. (The GM still decides what specifically happens, but is pretty fair about the outcomes.)

Aspects also can come up during gameplay based on what happens, and the GM might say, "Hey, add this as an aspect," and you can either agree or not. For example, Jessa (my Witch -- it's a Pathfinder class) deals with hexes and focuses on mind spells as well. In one of her initial forays, when some hired guards tried to interfere with us, she hypnotized one with a skill roll so high that it broke his mind and left him shuddering and peeing his pants on the ground; he's never recuperated from the ordeal. She also got partly possessed by an evil dagger and did some pretty nasty things when interrogating prisoners with it; and her latest hex is Prehensile Hair -- no one in the party knew about it, but she had to use it in the last skirmish and wigged everyone out, grabbing enemies with her 10' long hair (the hex makes it grow) and throwing them around / throttling them with her hair. So I told the GM I was going to add "Creepy Vibe" to her as an aspect, which basically means if she plays into her ability to unsettle people, she'll get Fate cards. She really wigs out other people, including the party.

You might not have the card deck, but the same kind of stuff can be built into the gameplay to encourage people to play character. That's all alignment was meant to do anyway. The more you play character, the less focus there is on die rolls and the more interactivity you get in the group.

I learned the system on my own, but I'm an INTP geek and am good with systems and learning the rules/frameworks of things. I think from what you describe, you need at least 1-2 people who are good with rules, to get the rest of you up to speed so you don't get bogged down. It's a pain searching hundreds of pages of rulebook trying to find one piece of information, although the index does help; also, if you can get the online PDFs, you can "search" on them and find things more quickly.

Also! General question for everyone: what's a good number of people to have in a game, in your experience? I hear too few is nearly impossible and too many just gets boring. Is there a "sweet spot" of some kind?

Typically, along with one Game Master, I'd say 4-6 is the best amount. Once you get past 6, people start butting into each other's business and turns take a long time to commence.

T

The Iron Giant

I haven't played D&D since high school, but I had a lot of fun. I was pretty unpopular at school, but this was a large group (maybe 10-15 people, we usually had any eight of them together at a time) I was part of, and I was one of the youngest members. It was one of the few places I felt like I belonged. I had a handful of characters and played several of them at the same time. I would totally go back and do it again. I've played D&D computer games and they streamline all of the dice rolling and stuff, but there's something very satisfying about touching the paper and looking at the GM's eyes over a stand-up screen.

I wasn't the DM, but one piece of advice I can offer is to be flexible and adaptable. If the players try something you don't expect, work with it. I think the general mindset may be that this is a fixed story with an ultimate goal, and that's fine, but if people wander out of bounds, don't kill them off immediately. Just go with it. One thing my GM did that was awesome was she created an arch-nemesis for us. I loved that this vampire was only very peripherally aware of us, it wasn't like he cared that we were around, if he even knew. It made him seem so powerful and unstoppable and mysterious. She also had unique voices for all the characters. Haha, I just remembered there was a senile old man in the game who kept showing up everywhere we went. He seemed to know everything, but would constantly forget what he was saying and doing so he was nearly useless. The voice she had for him was hilarious.

As a player, all I can say is if you're hosting, make sure there's plenty to eat and drink. I ate a lot of sausage pizza and drank a lot of grape soda, and I still associate these things with D&D, though I'm not eating pork anymore, and I probably wouldn't like grape soda. :D