• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

My friends convertible was subject to a rain storm with the top off

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Parts of the leather seats are damaged (rough and whiter in color than the natural cocoa leather). What would you tell my friend? At the end of the day and the car has been closed, there is that "unclean dog" odor. Tried lysol on the carpets.

Any ideas?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If the seats are real leather, rub mink oil or similar leather moisturizer into them well, then buff off any residue with a soft cloth. It might be necessary to do this again in another week or so, after the initial dose is well absorbed. For the carpet, keep the car open, in a garage, and run a dehumidifier to remove moisture. Use carpet cleaner spray if necessary afterwards to remove stains/odor.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If the seats are real leather, rub mink oil or similar leather moisturizer into them well, then buff off any residue with a soft cloth. It might be necessary to do this again in another week or so, after the initial dose is well absorbed. For the carpet, keep the car open, in a garage, and run a dehumidifier to remove moisture. Use carpet cleaner spray if necessary afterwards to remove stains/odor.

I have used saddle soap and armor all leather protector - to no avail.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have used these, too, but they don't seem to go on the same or have the same effect. I use mink oil on my leather work boots when they have been rain-soaked, but I apply it only after they have completely dried out. I really have to work it in, and sometimes do it 2-3 times over a week or so. It is almost like working lotion into chapped skin. It still might not work for you, but worth a try, perhaps on a small area as a test.

Edit: this probably won't restore the color, at least not completely, but should help the feel and texture considerably.

Last edited: