• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Dark Knight Rises

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No I don't follow the comics either.

Yeah. This storyline began in 1971; it's been around and recycles and revisited for decades. It's pretty well-established.

If I ever do read comics I wish to read the Ultimate X-men.

Whedon's run on The Astonishing X-men was pretty decent.

I've been keeping my eyes away from reading those theories/predictions. It was not easy to do so.
Definitely. I was avoiding movie sites and web sites (or at least being careful where my eyes went) for weeks before the movie was released.

G

garbage

I'm also probably the only one who really liked Bane as a villain--mask and voice, balls-out physical fighting style, all of it.
Rewatched the one with The Joker a few days ago. I've decided that Nolan's Batman is lame (his Bruce Wayne does not make a good 'pretend narcissistic playboy,' at all) but his villains are top-notch.

For some reason, one of my favorite lines from the whole series is Heath Ledger's delivery of one particular sardonic and mockingly awkward "Hi," I think directed toward a mob dude. To have something like that stick out is just amazing.

:popc1:

$(KGrHqN,!lUF!TSsfnEjBQNg8-bZZQ~~60_3.JPG
Wait, when did Wolverine take over the Batman mantle?

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I haven't read comic books in years, and I stuck to Marvel, so unless I see it on some animated series or encounter it in a video game, I doubt I'll know anything about some comic book storyline.

I avoid movie spoilers as well.

Ricin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
SEXY
Enneagram
hot
I downloaded a bootleg copy of the movie.
It was pretty good but about 15 mins into the movie the camera man gets shot.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Rewatched the one with The Joker a few days ago. I've decided that Nolan's Batman is lame (his Bruce Wayne does not make a good 'pretend narcissistic playboy,' at all) but his villains are top-notch.

Yes. I mean, we've had some reall bad Batmans. I don't think Bale's "bad." But that's one problem with Bale for this role, he doesn't bring something (not sure how to define it) to the role.

For some reason, one of my favorite lines from the whole series is Heath Ledger's delivery of one particular sardonic and mockingly awkward "Hi," I think directed toward a mob dude. To have something like that stick out is just amazing.

Honestly. His death really didn't change the fact that Ledger just owned the role as Nolan set it up for that movie, there's a reason why some of his lines (inflection and all) have become part of the public vernacular.

Wait, when did Wolverine take over the Batman mantle?

So you noticed too that they ripped off Bats mask to do Wolvie's? ;)

His first appearance was in Hulk but the face mask was different. I'm not sure whether it was Cockrum's or Byrne's Wolvie that suddenly switched over the Bats style mask... I think Byrne really locked it in though (sometime in '77?).

I downloaded a bootleg copy of the movie.
It was pretty good but about 15 mins into the movie the camera man gets shot.

I thought it was more like 30. :dry:

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Yes. I mean, we've had some reall bad Batmans. I don't think Bale's "bad." But that's one problem with Bale for this role, he doesn't bring something (not sure how to define it) to the role.

I couldn't help but laugh whenever "Batman" showed up with that ridiculous growl of his.
Batman is supposed to be extremely imposing. Christian just doesn't have that kind of presence.

Michael Keaton DEFINITELY had it. And he was short, balding and out-of-shape.

And since we're on the subject of Wolverine: Anybody remember Dark Claw from the mid-90s?

2-Dark-Claw.jpg

He was a Batman/Wolverine hybrid during the DC vs. Marvel crossover.
B.A.

R

Riva

Yeah. This storyline began in 1971; it's been around and recycles and revisited for decades. It's pretty well-established.

Whedon's run on The Astonishing X-men was pretty decent.

Definitely. I was avoiding movie sites and web sites (or at least being careful where my eyes went) for weeks before the movie was released.

I knew this person at high-school who would spoil us of surprises. No one laughed at him. Son of a bitch!

Comics should come in soft copies rather than hard copies. That would make more sense. It's not like a book that has to be carried around since they are too short. Unless you are a collector. I believe most people who read comics are collectors? I could imagine myself as an comic collector if I was from the US or from a country which has better, cheaper and more variety of comic books to be accesses.

Then again I would get laid much too often to be concerned about comic serieses. Holding on to comics could be a way to holding on to one's childhood in a way. So I guess I'll still be a fan.

I absolutely loved the movie and loved the ending as well. I read a post of you in this thread that the ending was quite sad. Why so? I think the ending was brilliant? It would have been a classic though -

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Comics should come in soft copies rather than hard copies. That would make more sense. It's not like a book that has to be carried around since they are too short. Unless you are a collector. I believe most people who read comics are collectors? I could imagine myself as an comic collector if I was from the US or from a country which has better, cheaper and more variety of comic books to be accesses.

When we use the word "collector" here, it refers to people who actually buy and bag comics in the same sense someone would collect stamps or coins or toys -- keeping them in as pristine condition as possible, to maintain the highest possible resale OR to simply be a "gotta have them all" type of collector.

That's not really "most" people here who buy comics. Some people just buy them to read. Also, the values on new comics really aren't conducive to collecting comics that would reach high values, because the material used to make the comics is much sturdier and there are also more produced. One reason older comics have high values (depending on the title) is because the paper was more fragile, fewer were printed, and there's been more time for them to be destroyed, lost, damaged, etc., leaving very few in good shape and in existence. When you print a few million of a particular issue on acid-free paper, and a bunch of people grab them, bag them, and store them, there's no way for there to be few of them in existence. So they are not worth much... i.e., not really worth collecting for "value," although you might collect them just in the sense that they are all chapters of a story, and you can't make sense of the story unless you read all the chapters.

The graphic novel/compilation has made huge instrides here in the US, there used to be few you could buy, and all of them were typically just either made to be graphic novels or they were compiled issues of limited run series (4-6 issue stories). Now you can go to the big bookstores and see 2-3 standing shelves full of them, because Marvel and DC have been released storylines from their long-running properties in book form; basically they own those storylines and issues, but for years weren't making money off them, but now people who were not alive when the comics came out want to read them, so they're publishing them as books. So now you don't even have to buy the old original issues anymore to see some of the better stories.

I absolutely loved the movie and loved the ending as well. I read a post of you in this thread that the ending was quite sad. Why so? I think the ending was brilliant? It would have been a classic though -

I wouldn't use the word "sad" -- to me "sad" means "made me cry," which can be good or bad.

For me, the movie was not one of the better movies I saw all summer, and I already explained why in numerous posts in this thread. Lots of details that were inconsistent; predictability and convenience of plot; cliche ("look at me, I'm profound!") rather than unique depth; twists that you either knew about or were not properly telegraphed in the plot, which made them cheats....

... but ignoring any kind of analysis and just looking at personal satisfaction, I was disinterested and bored and have no interest in watching it again. That's never happened to me with a Nolan movie.

As far as your spoiler, why would that be unfair? That's what heroes do... and someone's going to reboot it anyway, in the next movie they make, so who cares? Like in comics, it wouldn't even count.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I couldn't help but laugh whenever "Batman" showed up with that ridiculous growl of his.
Batman is supposed to be extremely imposing. Christian just doesn't have that kind of presence.

Michael Keaton DEFINITELY had it. And he was short, balding and out-of-shape.

I think it's the difference between a "boy" and a "man." Bale still is perceived just as an adult boy; Keaton for some reason comes off as a man. There are other actors I still have trouble seeing as "men" even though they are getting older now. Leonardo DiCaprio = boy, Hugh Jackman = man. Etc.

And since we're on the subject of Wolverine: Anybody remember Dark Claw from the mid-90s?

Ha ha, yes -- totally remember that!

R

Riva

Surely if typc is gotham city [MENTION=2]Ivy[/MENTION] is the batman, [MENTION=1]Haight[/MENTION] is the mayor, [MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION] is robin (when are you coming back jen?) And @salome is talia. [MENTION=3]MacGuffin[/MENTION] is the pink panther. No mac you are not the joker. You are the goofy pink panther.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Surely if typc is gotham city @<a href="http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/member.php?u=2" target="_blank">Ivy</a> is the batman, @<a href="http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/member.php?u=1" target="_blank">Haight</a> is the mayor, @<a href="http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/member.php?u=7" target="_blank">Jennifer</a> is robin (when are you coming back jen?) And @salome is talia. @<a href="http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/member.php?u=3" target="_blank">MacGuffin</a> is the pink panther. No mac you are not the joker. You are the goofy pink panther.

I think id be Crazyquilt...or some other terrible lesser villain.

Actually no, id be the Music Meister from Batman the Brave and the Bold series:

Wish it allowed embedding and I wish I could find a full version of the first song.

Ok found a full version but its this....man miming it for some reason but the lyrics are great:

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Whatever. I'm just glad that we're done with this dour, humorless, unsettlingly authoritarian Batman series.