• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Dark Knight Rises

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
I don't think that was Nolan's main message in the last film. Joker represented Chaos, and Batman order. Batman's "detective" skills were painted as going down a slippery slope.. resembling something akin to Homeland Security. Then towards the end, he's considered the Dark Knight and rides off running away from cops, like a criminal himself. The guy who bends the rules for the sake of order. I thought Nolan said more with all this than typical action movie shit.

A Michael Bay action flick is more thoughtful than any of these Batman movies.
At least they're honest with what they are. They're not fueled by sheer hypocrisy.

Batman doesn't need to think. Batman doesn't need to problem solve.
He sure as hell doesn't need to cultivate any of those higher brain functions.
Nor is he complex or chock full of neuroses; Batman isn't "crazy" or anything. No way.

Batman's purpose is to pummel the identifiable bad guys and blow that shit up REAL GOOD.
Nolan has taken one of the great--and most complex--American icons and gone full Stallone.

This approach to the Batman mythos borders on modern movie cliche parody.
Luckily, there are several exemplary performances within to blanket the mediocrity.

I love these movies. But they should've been better.

johnmiller

Hey,I like the trailor of Batman The Dark Knight Rises.I will definitely go for the first show of movie.I am waiting to see
the next action of Christian Bale as Batman.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
NumMG.jpg

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Tom Hardy, while smaller than Bane, was a perfect choice.

[YOUTUBE="KKC-FKGMeCY"]Bronson[/YOUTUBE]

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
There is no questioning the ability of Tom Hardy.
Nonetheless, they could have picked a better villain. Bane isn't a headliner.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A Michael Bay action flick is more thoughtful than any of these Batman movies.
At least they're honest with what they are. They're not fueled by sheer hypocrisy.

Batman doesn't need to think. Batman doesn't need to problem solve.
He sure as hell doesn't need to cultivate any of those higher brain functions.
Nor is he complex or chock full of neuroses; Batman isn't "crazy" or anything. No way.

Batman's purpose is to pummel the identifiable bad guys and blow that shit up REAL GOOD.
Nolan has taken one of the great--and most complex--American icons and gone full Stallone.

This approach to the Batman mythos borders on modern movie cliche parody.
Luckily, there are several exemplary performances within to blanket the mediocrity.

I love these movies. But they should've been better.

I'm actually fine with it as it is and found them very meaningful rather than "mediocre," but out of curiosity, what would you have changed? It sounds like you'd rather have more of a focus on the "detective" aspect of Batman's persona, for example. (I think they shunted a lot of the need for him to be a tech and chemical whiz off on the new Lucius Fox character.)

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
I'm actually fine with it as it is and found them very meaningful rather than "mediocre," but out of curiosity, what would you have changed? It sounds like you'd rather have more of a focus on the "detective" aspect of Batman's persona, for example. (I think they shunted a lot of the need for him to be a tech and chemical whiz off on the new Lucius Fox character.)

I will explain this once the movie is released.

KDude

I don't know. He made Scarecrow who was never a standout villain into something crucial to Batman's origins. I'm sure Bane represents something more than just being a meathead.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I will explain this once the movie is released.

Okay, thanks -- I'm all ears.
We've got the spoiler tags here too, in case that helps.

I don't know. He made Scarecrow who was never a standout villain into something crucial to Batman's origins.

I agree. And it's not like Nolan's not a thinker; his movies tend to be pretty intricate and full of connections, with nothing quite being what it seems on the surface. I think I've mentioned Insomnia (which he didn't do the script for, just filmed) was probably his weakest effort so far and that's not saying it was bad.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Gunman kills 12 in Colorado movie theater

A heavily armed gunman tossed tear gas into the darkness of an Aurora, Colorado movie theater Friday and then sprayed the audience with gunfire during an early morning screening of the new Batman movie, killing 12 and wounding 38 others, authorities said.

One of the injured was just 3 months old, according to hospital workers.

Damn, I better be packin' when I go see it.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Didn't the message of "escalation" soak in for you?
Eye for an eye. World goes blind, bro.

Perhaps you should pirate the movie illegally if you're so inclined or concerned.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Tickets at for 2:10pm.

The friend I saw Prometheus with (ISTJ, had the same opinion of it I did) saw this at the midnight showing last night (one of the zillions WITHOUT a shootup) and reported it was the best movie she's seen all summer, despite its slow beginning.

I'm hopeful but still wary; I remember being suckered into MI4 last winter, excited over the RT 94% rating and Brad Bird directing, and came out feeling it was just a pretty lousy movie all around.

Meanwhile, I am about to begin the Period of Purge, where I basically stop eating and drinking around 11am so I don't have to run out to the bathroom during the viewing of this monstrosity.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
I was supposed to see it last night, but that fell through.
Either later today or on Sunday.

Have fun and let me know how it is.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
RT now has it listed at 86%. About 30 nays, about 180 yeas.

I'm just cracking up reading the reviewer summaries, though. Are they all talking about the same movie? It seems that one either finds something of magnifence in it (regardless of whatever flaws that are acknowledged), or one just has scathing criticism for it...

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
I knew from the get-go it would be a polarizing movie, given the content matter.
Right out the gate, the movie musters controversy.

First came the death threats because of the negative reviews on RT, then the massacre in Colorado.

Good God. What next?