First 4567816 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

I hope Nolan pulls it off, series with more than one sequel (trilogy or not) can rarely sustain a high quality for three movies.

Will be interesting to see if the weak point in the trilogy is the first film, which is usually the strongest in a trilogy.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I don't know. I think you have to really be not even remotely part of the target demographic to hate this series that much. From a general point of view, they're still passable entertainment at worst. Not the big deal fanboys make out of them, but not the Toxic Avenger or some shit either. To make it out like it's that bad is trying too hard. Kind of like how people say Starbucks is the shittiest coffee on earth. It isn't even close.
    In a group of lemmings, always be the contrarian.
    You'll stand out more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Here's a Tom Hardy article I just ran across....

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-...190953552.html

I think his height was mentioned earlier in the thread. According to IMDB, he's 5' 10" -- tall enough that I'd date him, ha...

(Bale is listed as 6'.)
    Hollywood actors are always listed as taller than their actual height.

In the BTS footage where the two stand side by side, Bale dwarfs Hardy.
    In fact, Bale makes him look like a child.

The camera angles and blocking will make him appear bigger in the picture I'm sure.

But no way is he 5' 10'. Bale has a good 4-6 inches on him easy.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    He was pretty brutal on TDK. Like, wow.

If he didn't get much response, it's probably because many of the Gen Y fanboys didn't understand what he was saying.
    I agreed with some of the more concrete things he had to say about the film, but otherwise his critiques (as they always do) tend to devolve into psychobabble and intellectually impoverished cultural critique.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    Except that time he did (specifically, in Hush). Eventually Batman neutralized the threat by playing on Riddler's neuroses: Riddler could never willingly give away the answer to the greatest riddle of all. He might have gotten some kind of amnesia later, I don't remember.

Additionally, a lot of Batman's more intelligent villains don't have any interest in his real identity. To people like Freeze, Batman's a nuisance, not a goal. Others, like Scarecrow or Joker, don't actually care about who he is, they are only interested in the Batman as the Batman (in the Joker's case, he probably rightly asserts Batman is his true identity). Hugo Stange and Ra's Al Ghul are a couple other villains who know Batman's secret.

Bane's no dunce, though I do consider him a boring Batman villain thematically. Most others have some kind of clear point of reference that relate to the Batman's mind (to me, a lot of Batman's villains represent baggage, fears or insecurities he personally possesses, or in the Joker's case an absolute psychological shadow, even those that aren't that at least have empathetic and interesting motivations like Freeze or Harley Quinn), while Bane's just a pretty by the numbers bad guy.
    Truth be told, I never liked the character much.
    It is bold that they would choose him as the big bad this time around.

But you have to give it to him: His superpower is ruthlessness.
    He ain't the smartest of the bunch, but he is dangerously intelligent.
    And a blunt, devastating force of nature.

Nonetheless, this isn't a villain I would prefer.
    Where is the bad guy that would require Batman to hone his non-existent detective skills?
    To Nolan, Bats is the ultra tech ninja that goes around and blows shit up with his tanks.

Lame.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    I hope Nolan pulls it off, series with more than one sequel (trilogy or not) can rarely sustain a high quality for three movies.

Will be interesting to see if the weak point in the trilogy is the first film, which is usually the strongest in a trilogy.
    Often, I find that if the second movie is the best of a trilogy, then the third one is the worst, and the first is in the middle, Like the Godfather trilogy or the first three Alien movies (Alien 3 was apparently so bad to some, that it was the reason they went ahead and made Alien Resurrection, and though Alien 3 is a guilty pleasure for me, I think it's still the weakest of the first three). The Sam Raimi Spider-Man trilogy also fell in this category -- Spider-Man 2 was a masterpiece, and the high expectations led Spider-Man 3 to be a letdown.

The other category is when the first movie is the strongest, and the second movie is the weakest, third is in the middle. The Men in Black movies are probably the best recent examples, but also consider the Indiana Jones trilogy, in which Raiders was the best and Temple of Doom was the weakest. (I don't count KotKS for these purposes, but personally, I found it to be every bit as good as Raiders and Last Crusade.)

And I'm pretty sure this all has to do with expectations. I'll use Spider-Man as an example -- the first one was good, the second one was great, but after how great the second one was, the third was a bit of a letdown that would've otherwise been decent when put up against the first movie, albeit weaker because of its bloated story and excessive melodrama, not to mention the multiple villain syndrome, which tends to be what causes superhero movies to fall apart.

And then there's the Men in Black trilogy, where the first movie was excellent and the second was very weak, especially by comparison. By the third film, expectations are much lower after the first sequel, so that it ends up being much better than the second but not quite as good as the first.

But I've actually rarely seen a movie trilogy in which the movies get progressively worse.

And in the case of the Nolan Batman movies, so far, TDKR is the weakest, but some have said that it has more in common with Batman Begins than The Dark Knight. For most people, The Dark Knight is the best, so they're likely to be disappointed by the third film. For me, I personally loved Batman Begins but didn't much care for The Dark Knight (it was okay, but not great), so maybe The Dark Knight Rises will be a step up. And it likely will be for the Pittsburgh Steelers stadium imploding alone.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    But I've actually rarely seen a movie trilogy in which the movies get progressively worse.
    Don't forget the Matrix trilogy and the Pirates of the Caribbean (ignore the 4th one, as the first three have a proper trilogy story/characters).

I actually prefer Alien to Aliens now.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Don't forget the Matrix trilogy and the Pirates of the Caribbean (ignore the 4th one, as the first three have a proper trilogy story/characters).

I actually prefer Alien to Aliens now.
    I thought The Matrix Revolutions was marginally better than Reloaded. At least the gimmicks were not throwbacks to the first film like Reloaded (it had new ones), though I'm not particularly a fan of any of the movies.

As for Pirates, the only one I liked a lot was the second. I guess it's partly because of my creature animation fetish (Davy Jones was every bit as mindblowing as the T-Rex in Jurassic Park), but I found it to be more engaging than either 1 or 3. Pirates 3 was the worst -- it was beyond bloated in a way that reminded me of Spielberg's 1941, except it wasn't funny -- and Pirates 1 was in the middle.

The only movie trilogy I can think of off hand in which the films got progressively worse was Back to the Future, although I enjoyed them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck_of_Death View Post
    Nonetheless, this isn't a villain I would prefer.
    Where is the bad guy that would require Batman to hone his non-existent detective skills?
    To Nolan, Bats is the ultra tech ninja that goes around and blows shit up with his tanks.

Lame.
    I don't think that was Nolan's main message in the last film. Joker represented Chaos, and Batman order. Batman's "detective" skills were painted as going down a slippery slope.. resembling something akin to Homeland Security. Then towards the end, he's considered the Dark Knight and rides off running away from cops, like a criminal himself. The guy who bends the rules for the sake of order. I thought Nolan said more with all this than typical action movie shit.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I don't think that was Nolan's main message in the last film. Joker represented Chaos, and Batman order. Batman's "detective" skills were painted as going down a slippery slope.. resembling something akin to Homeland Security. Then towards the end, he's considered the Dark Knight and rides off running away from cops, like a criminal himself. The guy who bends the rules for the sake of order. I thought Nolan said more with all this than typical action movie shit.
    Oddly, order maintained his true nature by not killing chaos. :P

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

It was too bad about the Matrix. I really wanted to like the last movie. But... oh well.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft