First 3456715 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    What perverse logic would dictate that he ought to be conciliatory at all?
    My point was simply that if you throw a lit grenade into a crowd of rabid believers, what the hell do you EXPECT to have happen?

I don't have an opinion on whether he "should" be conciliatory.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    My point was simply that if you throw a lit grenade into a crowd of rabid believers, what the hell do you EXPECT to have happen?

I don't have an opinion on whether he "should" be conciliatory.
    I mean, he probably did expect that reaction for all we know, but what does that matter unless you're trying to pinpoint some hypocrisy on his part?

The important thing is, why are there 'believers' at all? They deserve to be provoked and then ridiculed for their reaction.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I mean, he probably did expect that reaction for all we know, but what does that matter unless you're trying to pinpoint some hypocrisy on his part?
    I can't speak for this reviewer, but I definitely think there are those reviewers who overly criticize something just because it's popular. A movie has a 100% so far on the tally? Well, let's find some reasons to outright reject it to knock that score down a bit.

It's what happened with Inception as well -- people were getting down on it simply because a lot of people were up on it.

Why should it matter whether or not the "public" happens to like something? Judge a movie on its actual quality, not as a kneejerk reaction to a movie's popularity. The haters are as bad as the psycho-believers.

The important thing is, why are there 'believers' at all? They deserve to be provoked and then ridiculed for their reaction.
    Anyone judging the movie based on anything other than its actual quality should be criticized. Audience and reviewers alike.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Here's a Tom Hardy article I just ran across....

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-...190953552.html

Tom Hardy didn't need to see a script before he agreed to play the villainous Bane in "The Dark Knight Rises." All he needed was a phone call.

Hardy said that in their initial conversations, director Christopher Nolan "wouldn't tell me anything else about the character, except that he was a very bad guy."

...After agreeing to the role, Hardy set about transforming himself from the slick, well-dressed forger he played in "Inception" to the menacing bad guy. Hardy had some experience beefing up for earlier movies like "Bronson," where he played a notorious prison inmate, and "Warrior," in which he played an MMA fighter. For Bane, he put on 30 lbs. through months of rigorous training (and eating)
    I think his height was mentioned earlier in the thread. According to IMDB, he's 5' 10" -- tall enough that I'd date him, ha...

(Bale is listed as 6'.)

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

He did. Free publicity for him.
    Did it not get yoir attention?.

And the "Nolanites" should be ridiculed.
    The movie isnt even out yet.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I can't speak for this reviewer, but I definitely think there are those reviewers who overly criticize something just because it's popular. A movie has a 100% so far on the tally? Well, let's find some reasons to outright reject it to knock that score down a bit.

It's what happened with Inception as well -- people were getting down on it simply because a lot of people were up on it.

Why should it matter whether or not the "public" happens to like something? Judge a movie on its actual quality, not as a kneejerk reaction to a movie's popularity. The haters are as bad as the psycho-believers.

Anyone judging the movie based on anything other than its actual quality should be criticized. Audience and reviewers alike.
    Sure, like Armond White (though I still think he's hilarious because he's a troll reviewer.) But TBH I was expecting (actually, waiting for) the type of criticism this one is getting because it's overdue from the last film, but everyone was so reverential about it that they didn't see any of its manifold flaws the first time.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'm bored enough to Google through the last bit of lunch break...

Found this (Armand White's review of "The Dark Knight"):

http://nypress.com/knight-to-remember/

Comments over on Indiewire:

All this to say: don't get bogged down in (for lack of a better word) "statistics." Find a few reviewers you like and whose opinion you trust and read them regularly. Even more, read reviews that don't agree with your thoughts on a movie. But don't let a number or letter or star determine the value of a movie for you before you go see it, and learn to be critical even of movies you do like. And guess what? People are going to dislike movies you love. Someone is going to fucking hate "The Dark Knight Rises." Armond White will probably say "Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance" was much better. And that's okay. At the end of the day, your feelings on a movie shouldn't be swayed by an aggregated score, and if it is, then you're a fan of popular opinions, not of movies.
    God, Ghost Rider was a dog....

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...gless-20120717

And the RT response to the "hubbub":
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_...e_nice_things/

EDIT:

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I'm bored enough to Google through the last bit of lunch break...

Found this (Armand White's review of "The Dark Knight"):

http://nypress.com/knight-to-remember/

Comments over on Indiewire:

God, Ghost Rider was a dog....

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...gless-20120717

And the RT response to the "hubbub":
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_...e_nice_things/
    LOL Armond!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

He was pretty brutal on TDK. Like, wow.

If he didn't get much response, it's probably because many of the Gen Y fanboys didn't understand what he was saying.

I don't know. I think you have to really be not even remotely part of the target demographic to hate this series that much. From a general point of view, they're still passable entertainment at worst. Not the big deal fanboys make out of them, but not the Toxic Avenger or some shit either. To make it out like it's that bad is trying too hard. Kind of like how people say Starbucks is the shittiest coffee on earth. It isn't even close.