First 14222324252634 Last

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    what are you fishing for? That I think you should write horoscopes? the "prediction" was one of a few expected scenarios. (Batman and Bruce die, Batman lives and Bruce lives, Batman lives and Bruce dies, Bruce lives and Batman dies.) Would you like a medal?
    It wouldn't hurt.

The first few days of discussion covered whether the ending as written made sense and/or was consistent with the established character.
    I haven't read all 23 pages of this thread, obviously. But then I have my own concerns about the ending. Mainly: why was there a timer on the bomb but no tension build-up leading to it's detonation? Why did that entire last scene have to feel like they were just wrapping up the movie. Ok, they got Bane packaged up - but don't forget to put a bow on! The bomb, as it turns out, was just a MacGuffin. It gives the villain something to do. This is made obvious just before the final fight, where Bane says something like "did you come to save your city?" and Batman replies, "no, I came to stop you."
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

It was part of the plot. Why did the story include that element? You can make some educated guesses, I'm sure.

But honestly, the kids were symbolic. The movie pov was Cobb.
    No, why was that element so badly done? The fact you basically never see them and only hear them on the phone makes one (in a movie where you question reality) wildly speculate as to the reasons it was done that way. And then it turns out there was no real reason to do it like that. Cobb had plenty of scenes with Mal before her death, why not the kids? WHAT IS NOLAN HIDING FROM US??? Oh wait, nothing.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    No, why was that element so badly done? The fact you basically never see them and only hear them on the phone makes one (in a movie where you question reality) wildly speculate as to the reasons it was done that way. And then it turns out there was no real reason to do it like that. Cobb had plenty of scenes with Mal before her death, why not the kids? WHAT IS NOLAN HIDING FROM US??? Oh wait, nothing.
    I didn't think it was badly done at all, and I just rewatched the movie this morning. I still don't really understand what your objection is.

"Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Because it is the whole setup: they are things, MacGuffins if you will, which robs them of any emotional resonance.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Because it is the whole setup: they are things, MacGuffins if you will, which robs them of any emotional resonance.
    Sorry it didn't work for you; i found it very powerful, emotionally.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Sorry it didn't work for you; i found it very powerful, emotionally.
    Kids and animals are cheap manipulations, if a filmmaker wishes to use them (and some have effectively) I require more effort than Nolan gave.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I think I've adequately explained why he did what he did, and why i think your approach simply wasnt the movie he was making. If it ruined the movie for you, that's disappointing; but like you suggested regarding two recent movies i disliked because i thought they should have been different movies, that's just life.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

I believe there is a difference between disagreeing with the movie made, and thinking a movie had the right idea but failed in execution.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Inception sucked.
    Leonardo DiCaprio sucks.
    The kid from 30 Rock needs to go away.

And fuck Nolan while I'm at it.

Darren Aronofsky and PT Anderson wipe the floor with that overhyped hack.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

I wrote this elsewhere:

Two of my favorite contemporary directors are Christopher Nolan and David Fincher. They both suffer from the same flaw, they sometimes neglect characterization. Nolan gets lost in intricate plots, Fincher leans on style/atmosphere. When they do that, I get annoyed!