First 7151617181927 Last

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    How far does poetic license go before it disrupts the audience's experience?

I mean, yes, you're right within reason; but the sloppier the creative staff gets, the worse the response might be and the more ineffective the work in question might be.

Also, poetic license suggests there is some "method to the madness" -- like up above, when I discussed Face/Off, it was clear the director was making choices to sacrifice some things for a more emotional response from the audience. (like the gist about Archer coming home with the kid and just taking him in, and the family not being at the hospital.... the scene of him coming home is emotionally evocative in a way that the "realistic version" would not have been, and Lee opted for the emotional card).
    It's up to you whether or not you want to let some plot holes distract you, or just say, "Hey, it's Batman, the Dark Knight. He's equal to all things, even making his way back into Gotham City after all the bridges in were bombed. Although we're not told how he managed it..."
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I liked everything about the movie except that we got robbed out of a third villan, and Bane's voice was ridiculous.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    It's up to you whether or not you want to let some plot holes distract you, or just say, "Hey, it's Batman, the Dark Knight. He's equal to all things, even making his way back into Gotham City after all the bridges in were bombed. Although we're not told how he managed it..."
    Well, it's not "up to me." I mean, that's like saying you can be attracted to someone who doesn't attract you or that you can still believe in a religion you don't believe in. At some point, a person can't suspend disbelief anymore even if they'd like to do so.

As far as I go specifically, there are items you mention that didn't really bother me at all, that I ignored. (Like Bruce showing back up in Gotham "somehow" and getting from the prison (wherever it was) back to the area without any resources at hand "somehow". It's like, "yeah, ok.") I think the Bat on the roof bothered me more, because it seemed more likely that Bane would find it (as he knew of its existence) or someone else would find it. But I still kind of overlooked it before it wasn't a huge deal.

I think the other factor is that, simply, TOO many small things can also combine to ruin the experience, vs one really big thing.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Well, it's not "up to me." I mean, that's like saying you can be attracted to someone who doesn't attract you or that you can still believe in a religion you don't believe in. At some point, a person can't suspend disbelief anymore even if they'd like to do so.

As far as I go specifically, there are items you mention that didn't really bother me at all, that I ignored. (Like Bruce showing back up in Gotham "somehow" and getting from the prison (wherever it was) back to the area without any resources at hand "somehow". It's like, "yeah, ok.") I think the Bat on the roof bothered me more, because it seemed more likely that Bane would find it (as he knew of its existence) or someone else would find it. But I still kind of overlooked it before it wasn't a huge deal.

I think the other factor is that, simply, TOO many small things can also combine to ruin the experience, vs one really big thing.
    That's because you're not a fan-boy/girl.

I tend to excuse most of what we're calling plot holes (which, let's face it, aren't really plot holes in the truest sense - they're just parts of the story that aren't shown in order to keep the movie under 16 hours) simply because it's a Batman movie. It's not a documentary and it's not a dramatic treatment of an historical event. As long as a popcorn movie has internal logic, it's fine. I realize the fanboys will get their back up at the idea that these movies are popcorn movies, but they are.

Following this line of thought, the internal logic seems strong to me based on what the characters were able to accomplish. For instance, Bruce Wayne has managed to train for the League of Shadows, create the Batcave, get armed by Lucious Fox, keep his identity secret, and do all his Batman shit. I'm going to just go ahead and assume that unusually strong powers of recuperation, sufficiently hiding the Bat, ejecting and surviving the explosion, and getting himself from India to Gotham fall within his skill set. Likewise, with all that Bane and Talia accomplished, I'm inclined to believe they have the wherewithal to find out Batman's identity. The only revelation that bothered me in the movie was John Blake's ability to determine that Bruce Wayne was Batman. "Good detective" doesn't give the character enough credibility to accomplish this.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    That's because you're not a fan-boy/girl.
    Lol...is that what you are? (I'd still have nolan's babies if i could. Does that make me a groupie?)

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Lol...is that what you are? (I'd still have nolan's babies if i could. Does that make me a groupie?)
    No. Yes.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

So...I'm supposed to see this again on Saturday at the nation's capital. In IMAX.
    But I think I'll just go to zoo instead. I always wanted to see a giraffe up close.

If I'm lucky the gorillas will put on a show, if they're not feeling timid that day.

*shrugs*

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Duck_of_Death View Post
    So...I'm supposed to see this again on Saturday at the nation's capital. In IMAX.
    But I think I'll just go to zoo instead. I always wanted to see a giraffe up close.

If I'm lucky the gorillas will put on a show, if they're not feeling timid that day.

*shrugs*
    There are no giraffes at the National Zoo.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    There are no giraffes at the National Zoo.
    I had a lousy time when I was at the Zoo a few months back. There is a lot of stuff under construction.

The big cats were out and the lion did his stuff, but I didn't see giraffes either, and the elephant(s) managed to always be at the other end of their assigned area.