First 6141516171826 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    I watched it a second time with a friend at his hometown, and again, I really enjoyed it!

..I swear to God, the Catwoman ruined it. Her role was not necessary, in my opinion.
    I love movie discussions, you'll hear just about every opinion under the sun.

Technically yes, they could have pulled the catwoman without any harm done, really; but her part at least was interesting.

I noticed quite a lot of the scenes were bland, in fact. But so were a lot of the scenes in The Dark Knight. I think if people pay more attention to details than character analysis then they'll be able to appreciate this as one of the strongest movies ever made.
    Could you explain what you mean by "details," since you're also saying alot of the scenes were bland? If they were bland, that makes it sound like there wasn't much detail to look at. What sort of "detail" are you referring to?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    I watched it a second time with a friend at his hometown, and again, I really enjoyed it!

..I swear to God, the Catwoman ruined it. Her role was not necessary, in my opinion.

I noticed quite a lot of the scenes were bland, in fact. But so were a lot of the scenes in The Dark Knight. I think if people pay more attention to details than character analysis then they'll be able to appreciate this as one of the strongest movies ever made.
    Every character "ruined" it. They were cardboard cutouts--filler. Nothing more.
    This was Bruce Wayne's story, where he climbed out of the nightmare well he fell into as a child.
    Gotta love those metaphors!

Glad this series is over.
    David Fincher for the reboot.

ReflecTcelfeR

I thoroughly enjoyed the film. It seemed to follow along the same kind of skeleton as TDK, but I enjoyed that one, too.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Heh... yeah:
    http://www.slashfilm.com/15-bothered...-knight-rises/

Hmm... interesting mix of Inception & TDKR... anyone wondering?
    http://www.cinemablend.com/new/What-...ses-32061.html

More hash over rumors and how they played out:
    http://www.slashfilm.com/crazy-rumor...ses-revisited/

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    The first comment in the article is what I agree with:

Some of the 'plot holes' in the above article I agree with. I actually said out loud in the theater, 'What, he just left The Bat on that roof?' when he returns to it. I love the Batman films Nolan has made, and I love films in general, but I'm not going to let that blind me to genuinely confusing parts of the movie like some psychotic fanboy threatening to murder a critic because he disagreed with me.

That said, there are a number of the 'plots holes' in this article that, I think, can be addressed with a reasonable degree of (a) suspension of disbelief because it's a film that is literally incapable of filling in every detail without being sixteen hours long and thus excruciatingly boring, (b) a little bit of imagination on the part of the audience, and (c) a knowledge of the source material, at least as a bonus for those who read comics.
    He goes on explaining in detail, proving his point that showing all the details is really boring.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    He goes on explaining in detail, proving his point that showing all the details is really boring.
    I only skimmed them all. I think the major problem if any is, that if you get TOO many of those questions during the movie, you spend more time having to process the questions and then ignoring them, rather than being able to just be in the zone during the movie experience, and it stops feeling real. I had a lot of small, "What??" moments followed by, "Okay, whatever."

Did you read the other two articles?

Thought the most interesting was questioning Alfred's perception at the end of the movie, a la Inception. There are other hints in the movie that it IS a real perception, but it makes you think, at least.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I only skimmed them all. I think the major problem if any is, that if you get TOO many of those questions during the movie, you spend more time having to process the questions and then ignoring them, rather than being able to just be in the zone during the movie experience, and it stops feeling real. I had a lot of small, "What??" moments followed by, "Okay, whatever."

Did you read the other two articles?

Thought the most interesting was questioning Alfred's perception at the end of the movie, a la Inception. There are other hints in the movie that it IS a real perception, but it makes you think, at least.
    I did think the exact same thing about the Bat. "It's just sitting on some roof covered by a camo tarp??? Thank god it wasn't Osama bin Laden."

The third one was interesting, but I avoided all speculation beforehand.

As far as the second one, I can only repost what Phobik did the other day:

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

@MacGuffin: Lol.... missed that graphic, but yeah!!!

And the example I almost included in my post was the tarp. I was like... "Really? Bane must just be phoning it in, or not give a crap about The Bat."

I think part of my reaction is also that this is CHristopher Nolan, not Sam Raimi or Michael Bay or "sloppier" director; I'm not used to him leaving a bunch of stupid things like that through.
    It's not typically part of his style or the approach he takes.

It would be worth a discussion of how tone and expectation change evaluation. For example, one of my favorite movies (and I still get it out to watch 1-2x a year) is "Face/Off." There is no question that so much of this movie is just pure cheese. The science is a joke. (For one of those "wtf" moments, the doctor actually cuts Archer's hair on the operating table while his entire face is a messy wound! What on earth???) At the end of the movie, his family isn't at the hospital or waiting for him somewhere, they're just all at home... and meanwhile, he just brings this kid home without going through adoptive services or ANY real part of the process. And honestly, there were a LOT of those crazy "no way!" moments. So much that I have to laugh.

Yet I actually was so much more emotionally invested in that movie. Why?

Part of it I think is that it's not pretentious. It never portrays itself as deep, it just portrays itself as having a lot of heart. It also is clearly written to think in terms of "emotions and relationships," not rational logic. The logic is all subjective and based on Archer's values. What's important to him is highlighted; what is not is just blown off.

I had the same response to "50 First Dates," which is just a goofy, irrational movie in terms of "being realistic," yet I still had a positive reaction to it. I don't judge it by a rational framework, per se, even though it's consistently within its own framework. (Even the first GI Joe movie was similar, again; not very rational, but internally consistent and meant to engage one's emotions.)

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post

You can just save it all simply by lending the movie some poetic license.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    You can just save it all simply by lending the movie some poetic license.
    How far does poetic license go before it disrupts the audience's experience?

I mean, yes, you're right within reason; but the sloppier the creative staff gets, the worse the response might be and the more ineffective the work in question might be.

Also, poetic license suggests there is some "method to the madness" -- like up above, when I discussed Face/Off, it was clear the director was making choices to sacrifice some things for a more emotional response from the audience. (like the gist about Archer coming home with the kid and just taking him in, and the family not being at the hospital.... the scene of him coming home is emotionally evocative in a way that the "realistic version" would not have been, and Lee opted for the emotional card).