User Tag List

First 4121314151624 Last

facettes de la petite mor Words of Ivory's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

I went to see this on the opening day, but hearing about the deaths of the people in Colorado makes me sad, and it makes me feel somewhat guilty for enjoying it.

The movie was solid, with a few nagging issues. There's little more I can add beyond the great debate that Jennifer and Co. already have going.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Life calls out the meaning of pure jubilance,
    if you'll only take the time to hear it."
    ~ Words of Ivory ~

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Again, I think this is a struggle between the vision of the viewer and the vision of the artist. If you want to see a green picture and the picture is purple, you won't like it.

I like Frank Miller's Dark Knight as well, but I don't think Nolan is interested in that take on the character, he wants his own version.

For what it is, I think it is very, very good, bordering on great.
    It is a good summer movie with a lot of rousing moments.
    Visually and aurally, TDKR decimates anything else this year, hands down.

But it stank of the third movie curse.
    And the cards were in place to give us the greatest Batman story of all time.

We didn't get it.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

If I may be so bold, I think you two missed the point of the film because you were off looking for something beyond what was on the screen. The Dark Knight Rises, for all it's plot twists is not a complex film at all. It is a quite simple theme.

It is about hope.

It's there in the title, and in the metaphoric last shot of the film.
    Why is this complicated for you to understand? I didn't miss that. But even aware of it, I just ended up not enjoying the movie because it's not what interests me (remember in my first comments when I said I felt nothing throughout the movie, it was just.... there?) and I'm explaining why. Kind of like when Christians tell me why I should like a Kirk Cameron movie ("but it's about hope, it's right there in the title!") but the way it's presented just doesn't do anything for me.

If you enjoyed the movie for other reasons, then that is good for you, and a positive thing.

But it's okay, I just watched Donnie Darko tonight again, and feel much better now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    OMG, that reminds me of this movie called Signs...

.... ugh, that was an awful movie. ("OMG THE ALIENZ R AFRAYD OF WATER!!")

Quote Originally Posted by Words of Ivory View Post
    The movie was solid, with a few nagging issues. There's little more I can add beyond the great debate that Jennifer and Co. already have going.
    I think I am retiring, I have given my life in the debate of this movie; but I bequeath upon you the legacy of continuing the fight.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

.... ugh, that was an awful movie. ("OMG THE ALIENZ R AFRAYD OF WATER!!")

They came from the sky... Bent on controlling the fair land...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Hmm... now I'm reminded of this OTHER movie....!

But I probably shouldn't touch that one. (Flying monkeys -- tish tosh!!!)

But I can tie it together. What did you guys think of the trailer for Oz The Great and Powerful?

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Again, I think this is a struggle between the vision of the viewer and the vision of the artist. If you want to see a green picture and the picture is purple, you won't like it.

I like Frank Miller's Dark Knight as well, but I don't think Nolan is interested in that take on the character, he wants his own version.

For what it is, I think it is very, very good, bordering on great.
    Agreed 100%. I thought this movie was magnificent and easily the best of the three. While TDK is also very good, the only explanation I can think of for the slobbering of Heath Ledger's wildly overpraised performance is his untimely death. I think that Nolan made Batman relevant with a storyline for this movie that served both as a satisfying conclusion to the trilogy and an incisive commentary about the political and economic climate of our country today. As ridiculous as the events of the movie seem on paper, they felt chillingly plausible. I also thought the emotion of the relationships between Wayne and Alfred and Wayne and Gordon was effective and strong. I have quibbles, but they're small. I thought Matthew Modine's character and performance were weak, and I had trouble understanding Bane's dialogue even though I saw the movie at an Arclight with fantastic sound. Finally, I can't imagine why the ending (I won't spoil it, but you know what I refer to) feels like a betrayal for some. I thought it simply highlighted the strength of the relationship between Wayne and Alfred.

But it's okay, I just watched Donnie Darko tonight again, and feel much better now.

.... ugh, that was an awful movie.
    On both counts, I am suddenly much more okay with you not loving this movie :p
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

facettes de la petite mor Words of Ivory's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

I think I am retiring, I have given my life in the debate of this movie; but I bequeath upon you the legacy of continuing the fight.
    Hahaha. I appreciate the honour. However, I'm afraid I'll have to turn down your request.

I can't help but feel sad every time I think of this movie, because of what happened in Colorado. As undeniably decent as the movie was, lingering on it keeps bringing my mind back to that, and I can't seem to distance myself from it. The whole tragic event sucks.

This is the one movie this year I really wanted to debate to people too, which is frustrating.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Life calls out the meaning of pure jubilance,
    if you'll only take the time to hear it."
    ~ Words of Ivory ~

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    ... I also thought the emotion of the relationships between Wayne and Alfred and Wayne and Gordon was effective and strong. I have quibbles, but they're small. I thought Matthew Modine's character and performance were weak, and I had trouble understanding Bane's dialogue even though I saw the movie at an Arclight with fantastic sound. Finally, I can't imagine why the ending (I won't spoil it, but you know what I refer to) feels like a betrayal for some. I thought it simply highlighted the strength of the relationship between Wayne and Alfred.
    I agree with all that, although with the last, if looked at from another perspective, it comes off as DoD suggested...

Things don't have to be one or the other, you know; both can be true, it just depends on which angle you're looking at it through.

On both counts, I am suddenly much more okay with you not loving this movie :p
    I have no idea how to read that!

as far Shyamalan goes, I think his first (well, second, if you count the low budget one) was his best -- the two years he spent honing the script and doing the movie shows greatly in the outcome. And then, slowly, every movie he's made seems to become worse and worse. I'm hoping The Last Airbender is truly the last.

At least Nolan's capital continues to rise.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Words of Ivory View Post
    Hahaha. I appreciate the honour. However, I'm afraid I'll have to turn down your request.

I can't help but feel sad every time I think of this movie, because of what happened in Colorado. As undeniably decent as the movie was, lingering on it keeps bringing my mind back to that, and I can't seem to distance myself from it. The whole tragic event sucks.
    I'm sorry. And yes, it's a huge downer. I do okay as long as I don't think of it. But now I'm thinking of it again. *doh*

I heard they weren't releasing stats for the weekend take (attendance and money brought in) out of respect for the dead. I'm not sure how that helps, as the movie is still being shown, but... whatever.

This is the one movie this year I really wanted to debate to people too, which is frustrating.

Ginkgo

Hmm... now I'm reminded of this OTHER movie....!

But I probably shouldn't touch that one. (Flying monkeys -- tish tosh!!!)

But I can tie it together. What did you guys think of the trailer for Oz The Great and Powerful?

They bypassed our sensors... no one saw them coming...