User Tag List

Thread: Great Gatsby

Default Great Gatsby

This looks like it could be fun. I know they aren't for everyone, but I always seem to enjoy Baz Luhrmann films.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2APUer6nCkY"].[/YOUTUBE]
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I love F. Scott Fitzgerald, so I will see this, I wish the music was more authentic though it's more than a little irritating to me that the music doesn't match the period at all.

But it's in 3-D, too, and I like 3-D.

Rainy Day Member Ingrid in grids's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I love F. Scott Fitzgerald, so I will see this, I wish the music was more authentic though it's more than a little irritating to me that the music doesn't match the period at all.

Baz Luhrmann does that with virtually all his films, e.g. Moulin Rouge and Romeo + Juliet. Though somehow when it's Shakespeare you're allowed more creative license. I find his films almost as intricate and exciting as the literature he sometimes chooses to base them on... I know I felt that way with R+J and sure I will feel similarly about Gatsby. Just hoping it won't be another "Australia", but judging by the trailer and the book itself, it's very much in line with his style. Gatsby has a bit of a Luhrmann flair to start with .

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post

Oh I had thought the non-period music was kind of a fun surprise when I first saw the trailer.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Looks about as silly as Moulin Rouge, though seems more tolerable to watch like Australia, which was merely boring, but not embarrassing to sit through. And that's a lovely matte painting of 1920's NYC.

And that trailer is over a month old. I appreciate you not calling it a new trailer.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Maddy View Post
    Baz Luhrmann does that with virtually all his films, e.g. Moulin Rouge and Romeo + Juliet. Though somehow when it's Shakespeare you're allowed more creative license. I find his films almost as intricate and exciting as the literature he sometimes chooses to base them on... I know I felt that way with R+J and sure I will feel similarly about Gatsby. Just hoping it won't be another "Australia", but judging by the trailer and the book itself, it's very much in line with his style. Gatsby has a bit of a Luhrmann flair to start with .
    I love Moulin Rouge, didn't care for Romeo + Juliet. So we shall see!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Oh I had thought the non-period music was kind of a fun surprise when I first saw the trailer.
    I feel that way about Sophia Coppola's Marie Antoinette (which I love) but I'm kind of funny about my 1920's/1930's literature. It's just something I've taken such a personal interest in that I like for pieces from that time to be authentic.

MBTI
    INTJ

I'm looking forward to this. It was one of the few books that I enjoyed after being compelled to read it.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Not a fan of the trailer music, but their choice for Daisy looks very promising. And, of course, DiCaprio is always a DELIGHT.

In the least, I'll try and catch it to see the ostentatious and showy parties Gatsby hosted. And I'm curious to see what they do with the Valley of Ashes.

MBTI
    INTP

Fitzgerald is one of my faves!
    I might not be what I had mind mind while reading the book, but Baz Luhrmann always makes things so grand.
    I will definitely watch out for this.

And besides, who could ever resist 1920s New York City?