• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I've never understood the appeal of...

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Bob Dylan. I even saw him live once (free ticket). What is it about him that's made him a legend?

Gish

Which side are you on?
MBTI Type
PTSD
Seeing current Bob Dylan is quite a bit different than seeing Bob Dylan in his prime. Tremendous songwriter, especially when compared to other music of his time. He's been touring constantly since 1998, somewhere over 2000 shows for this one tour, but he sounds terrible now (Dylan fan hate incoming).

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Yeah, I almost fell asleep at his concert. Even his old stuff does nothing for me. It must just be a matter of differing taste.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think it's a different time period thing too. Part of his appeal IMO is that he is deeply connected for his original fans is that he symbolizes very turbulent times rife with social change. I kind of think of him as the Bob Marley of folk.

KDude

Bob Dylan was one of the first people to popularize an "anything goes", literary slant to song lyrics (rather than limiting it to subjects like love). That's taken for granted now. Most songs started being written like that by the mid 60s. Even the Beatles (specifically Lennon) were inspired by this. John didn't write cryptic, non romantic lyrics until Rubber Soul (or a little before). They attributed it to Dylan.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Bob Dylan. I even saw him live once (free ticket). What is it about him that's made him a legend?

I find Bob Dylan rather boring too. Not always, but overall he is quite boring.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I never understood obsessive fan mentality much at all in any situation.

Wolfie

MBTI Type
xNxx
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so
Pretty much most popular music.

Wolfie

MBTI Type
xNxx
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so
Bob Dylan gets props with certain groups though... Hippie/hipsters seem to dig him. I can understand how most popular music just blows.

Regarding Bob Dylan, I don't especially like his music. Some songs I really love, but for the most part I don't really find myself compelled to listen to him. He is a terrific song writer and I appreciate that. I respect him for what he's done musically, even if it's not really my thing. Historically, his fame makes sense as well.

Popular music these days... I just feel like my generation has hit the all-time low, quality-wise. I think it was mid-2000s that I pretty much stopped liking 99% of radio hits.

W

WALMART

This thread can be boiled down to any of the 10,000 musical acts ever performed, why does anyone like anything? Why does no one like everything and everyone like something?

Musicallogic

MBTI Type
INTP
Pretty much most popular music.

Yes. I do like some of the bluegrass country that is heavy on harmonies. Early Dixie Chicks, Alison Krauss. I studied music in college. It's painful to compare the complexities of Bach, the melodies of Vivaldi and the songs of Mozart to standing under an "umbrella ella ella eh eh eh"... I really can't deal with rap/hip hop. The ability to swear, degrade women to a beat, and add "izzle" to the end of your words does nothing for my opinion of you.

W

WALMART

Yes. I do like some of the bluegrass country that is heavy on harmonies. Early Dixie Chicks, Alison Krauss. I studied music in college. It's painful to compare the complexities of Bach, the melodies of Vivaldi and the songs of Mozart to standing under an "umbrella ella ella eh eh eh"... I really can't deal with rap/hip hop. The ability to swear, degrade women to a beat, and add "izzle" to the end of your words does nothing for my opinion of you.

Luckily these people aren't counting on being as complex as Bach to produce music the average person can enjoy.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
There should be a balance. There's the complexity factor of certain music, and then there's the likability of music that's simple enough to stomp your foot to. Find that balance.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
if you find an answer, you might as well be an a&r for a living. its taste, timing, and image.

but its ashame, music hasn't been the same since the backstreet boy's fell off. :bored:

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
if you find an answer, you might as well be an a&r for a living. its taste, timing, and image.

but its ashame, music hasn't been the same since the backstreet boy's fell off. :bored:

hehehehe