User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Permabanned

Doom 3 freaks me the f out maybe because the enemies just don't die and come running at you so fast.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yeah, I remember Doom 3. I also remember the early versions of Quake were freaky as hell -- it was before that kind of look became popular in video games. Just really bad-ass monsters that were mishapen and twisted and coming at you out of the dark. I mean, ANY of those shooter games where lighting sucks, you're on edge, and stuff can leap at you out of the dark can be pretty harrowing.

I just bought all three F.E.A.R. games for a total of $11 on Steam (they were having a Halloween special). Alma looks pretty creepy.

There were some monsters in Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 that looked pretty bad too, and those zombies just keep coming. Also, I played Torchlight II demo last night, and went into the "blink bonus board," and had no idea what was going on -- suddenly all these spiders came at me out of nowhere. It's a "look down from above" game so not as freaky as face to face camera angles, but I was surrounded by skitterish spiders and basically had to keep trying to slag them all while poisoning their lares. They just don't stop!

I do want to look at the Silent Hill games, after seeing the movie trailers. THe movies seem to be dreck, with wonderfully grotesque graphics... which might be effective in an actual game if not in the movies.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Senor Membrae Eugene Watson VIII's Avatar
    MBTI
    iSFP
    Enneagram
    idk sp

Nice you got that special, I keep getting told f.e.a.r is good.

Silent hill is but I'd try play it with a sun lol.

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    Doom 3 freaks me the f out maybe because the enemies just don't die and come running at you so fast.

Epic, so this is good? I've heard too many reviews to decide on getting it
    Myers-Briggs: xsFP

Enneagram: 9?-4wX?-5/6

~ People don't think it be like it is, but it do. ~

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by minutegovt View Post
    Nice you got that special, I keep getting told f.e.a.r is good.
    Yeah, Samara from The Ring is a major creepfest for me, so I figured this would be right in line with that.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

I dunno how scary it's supposed to be, but I've been thinking about getting back into gaming after I heard about that game Demon Souls. Anyone here played it?
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

ReflecTcelfeR

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    I dunno how scary it's supposed to be, but I've been thinking about getting back into gaming after I heard about that game Demon Souls. Anyone here played it?
    I have and I love both Demon and Dark Souls (same company and all that jazz). I wouldn't consider it scary, just really intense.... Really, really, really intense. You should play it regardless.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I figured you people were gonna slam anyone who thought Doom 3 was scary for being wimps. But good thing you didn't. I thought it was scary, too. Walking down in dark corridors and those spiders with upside down heads popping out at you, or the babies with fly wings. Freaky and highly imaginative. I remember first playing the game how none of the guns had flashlights attached to them -- it was a separate weapon (a meelee weapon to be specific) -- despite the fact military grade weaponry usually has flashlights attached for dark areas, I felt this was a really effective way of keeping the gamer on his toes. And it had health packs, too!!! None of that run-and-hide shit!

Condemned: Criminal Origins, from Monolith, the creator of F.E.A.R., was really scary. Possibly the scariest game I've ever played. I loved the part where you find the dude in the locker and he pops out at you right when you're about to take a picture of him.

The "We Don't Go Through Ravenholm" level in Half-Life 2 was a little creepy, as well. But I normally don't find zombies creepy. And when they're an AI in video games, they're just annoying.

I do not understand what makes F.E.A.R. so scary...it didn't scare me at all, but it was a superb shooter at the time. Atmospheric settings, an amazing AI, and a compelling story. But sadly, the evil little girl angle never scares me when it's used.

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    F.E.A.R is aptly named.

You couldn't bother to put a video of F.3.A.R.? That was probably the scariest one of the lot. I'd like to see them make more F.E.A.R. games where the F.E.A.R. team investigates other paranormal occurrences. I think that, in many ways, it was a mistake to leech onto the Alma story for so long.

garbage

Sweet Home, man. For its time, anyway.

MBTI
    INFJ

@The Ü
    It's psychologically scary when you realize that she could kill you in the blink of an eye any time she feels like it, but she doesn't - she's toying with you.

Why? Because

MBTI
    INFJ

Also Doom 3 gets more worrisome and 'You startled me. Don't do that!' *BOOM!* than scary. I routinely go around whacking stuff with the flash light. You play as a space marine armed to the teeth versus things that you can kill, after all. I think the most scary thing in that game is watching dudes get possessed and hearing the radio chatter as things literally go to hell all around the base.

It does have some "I'm not sure that it's a good idea to go in there, but I have to, so fuck it." moments though.