User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    INXP

Ha. Awesome. I can see myself working as a projectionist and in a rental shop.

I know what you mean about overflow. I've tried to be quite specific on Criticker. I have 66 films in my wishlist, 40 or so of which I'm certain were made for me. But I know that once I see a few of them, I'll have found more and it will be closer to 80.

I want to see more Paul Thomas Anderson films. It's sacreligious not seeing more considering how much I liked Magnolia. I'm looking forward to There Will Be Blood. I prefer his realism over the parable-esque, styalized Coen bros' efforts. (But I do love them too ).

I'll shut up before I geek up the place.
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by colmena View Post

I know what you mean about overflow. I've tried to be quite specific on Criticker. I have 66 films in my wishlist, 40 or so of which I'm certain were made for me. But I know that once I see a few of them, I'll have found more and it will be closer to 80.

I want to see more Paul Thomas Anderson films. It's sacreligious not seeing more considering how much I liked Magnolia. I'm looking forward to There Will Be Blood. I prefer his realism over the parable-esque, styalized Coen bros' efforts. (But I do love them too ).

PTA's other films (excluding Hard Eight) are better than Magnolia, IMHO. You should be in for a treat. Boogie Nights and There Will Be Blood are really outstanding pictures, and Punch-Drunk Love is funny and compelling in a bizarre way.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

I'm a P so I'm going to cheat:

12 Angry Men (1957)
    2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
    Aliens (1986)
    Bonnie and Clyde (1967)
    The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)
    Casablanca (1942)
    A Christmas Story (1983)
    Citizen Kane (1941)
    The Deer Hunter (1978)
    Die Hard (1988)
    Do the Right Thing (1989)
    Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
    The Exorcist (1973)
    Fight Club (1999)
    Glory (1989)
    The Godfather (1972)
    The Godfather: Part II (1974)
    The Graduate (1967)
    The Great Escape (1963)
    The Iron Giant (1999)
    Jaws (1975)
    L.A. Confidential (1997)
    Ladri di biciclette (The Bicycle Thief)(1948)
    Lat sau san taam (Hardboiled) (1992)
    Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
    The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
    The Maltese Falcon (1941)
    On the Waterfront (1954)
    Psycho (1960)
    Raging Bull (1980)
    Rashomon (1950)
    Schindler's List (1993)
    Se7en (1995)
    Shichinin no samurai (The Seven Samurai) (1954)
    Sjunde inseglet, Det (The Seventh Seal) (1957)
    Star Wars (1977)
    Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
    Sunset Blvd. (1950)
    Taxi Driver (1976)
    The Thin Man (1934)
    The Third Man (1949)
    Unforgiven (1992)
    Vertigo (1958)

MBTI
    ENTP

I have this on DVD. I love Ray (his b+w films, anyway). Haven't seen it yet, though. Ooh, but I'm eager and looking forward to it.

Have you seen Mahanagar?
    I have.... and, speaking of Mahanagar (sounds more like maw-haa nog-or in Bengali), I'm in that very same big-city (Kolkata/Calcutta) as we speak...

It's not his best... but it's still good... about the life of a middle-class family in a big city... other films which are really cool by Ray include Charulata (same actress as in MN) and Teen Kanya / Three (Young) Girls... one of his last films (Shatranj Ke Khilaadi... The Chessplayers... his only film in Urdu and one of his few in color, was spectacularly mediocre)

Satyajit Ray was sooooo good though... more a Bengali filmmaker than an Indian one, though.... particularly with the unstoppable flow of trash coming out of Bombay.
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel De Mazarin View Post
    I have.... and, speaking of Mahanagar (sounds more like maw-haa nog-or in Bengali), I'm in that very same big-city (Kolkata/Calcutta) as we speak...

It's not his best... but it's still good... about the life of a middle-class family in a big city... other films which are really cool by Ray include Charulata (same actress as in MN) and Teen Kanya / Three (Young) Girls... one of his last films (Shatranj Ke Khilaadi... The Chessplayers... his only film in Hindi and one of his few in color, was spectacularly mediocre)

Satyajit Ray was sooooo good though... more a Bengali filmmaker than an Indian one, though.... particularly with the unstoppable flow of trash coming out of Bombay.
    I've seen Teen Kanya and The Chessplayers. I enjoyed Teen Kanya, but didn't connect with it properly. As you say, The Chessplayers was pretty poor. I couldn't read a lot of the subtitles because of the colour, but I get that a lot.

My favourite film so far is Devi (Goddess), I was mesmerised from the beginning. I love his music. On the strength of that alone, I bought the Apu trilogy. I've since seen Pratidwandi, as well, but I prefer his spiritual/relationship films to the didactic and political. I think his film making and strength as a musician better reflect this, also. As I say about Devi on Criticker, 'I think about this film daily. It haunts my dreams.'
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-Yes, my dear.

MBTI
    ESFJ

How about Ritwik Ghatak?

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    How about Ritwik Ghatak?
    I hadn't heard of him, personally. Thank you. "The Golden Thread" looks good.

Again, like Ray, frustratingly rare to get hold of.
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-Yes, my dear.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    How about Ritwik Ghatak?
    Three of India's (arguably) greatest directors were all Bengalis who worked entirely in Bengali and produced most of their best work decades ago: Satyajit Ray, Ritwik Ghatak, and Mrinal Sen. (i.e. non-Bollywood)

Shyam Benegal is a pretty good Hindi filmmaker... but his ouvre is spotty... several excellent films to his credit, though, like the Ankur Trilogy (which shouldn't be hard to get on DVD... try Indian neighborhood DVD stores in Queens or equivalents elsewhere)... Guru Dutt had one or two really good films, the rest crashed and he crashed... the one film of his of great quality was Pyaasa ('Thirst'). Benegal was non-Bollywood and Guru Dutt had maybe one film of international quality. Bimal Roy had a few good 'uns (Do Bigha Zameen).

The only other Indian filmmakers really making decent films in recent memory are, to my mind, Deepa Mehta and Mira Nair who, while not Bengali, are decidedly non-Bollywood directors. Both of their ouvres are spotty though... Mira Nair's best films were Salaam, Bombay! (great work) and Monsoon Wedding though the latter doesn't bowl me over... the others she did, like Mississippi Masala and Vanity Fair were not good... Kama Sutra was a joke... as for Deepa Mehta, she has flashes of brilliance in her Elements Trilogy, particularly in Water... but neither of these directors matches up to SR, RG, and MS.

There are the occasional Indian films which pop up, like Nayakan (Tamil, non-Bollywood), which are really good... but very few consistently excellent directors...

As for Bollywood... ugh... what a blight... it's begun dominating everything else in India... I do like a few Bollywood films... but I like them qua Bollywood films, not as really good films period... many avid Bollywood fans will point to films like Sholay (Amitabh Bacchan and Dharmendra star), but it's terrible from an even casually filmic point of view. Mughal-e-Azam is a national favorite, but the acting is quite hammed. Same with others like Black, Lagaan...

My whole rant: why is India, with all its upper-middle class (which outnumbers the populations of most countries), interest in art and literature, and with the shining examples of people like Satyajit Ray, Ritwik Ghatak, Mrinal Sen, and their homebred though absconded Ishmail Merchant, still producing so much crap?
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

MBTI
    ENTP

Rear Window
    The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    Donnie Darko
    Closer
    Monty Python's Life of Brian
    Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte
    The Chocolate War
    Das Leben Der Anderen
    Election (just saw this one again recently, maybe doesn't belong here but I had forgotten how good it was and I want to mention it)
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    ESFJ

I was a projectionist for two years at university. It was a great job. I loved the quiet time to study, and girls really like being in the projection booth, I noticed. Most of the movies were crap, though.