10. Brazil -I was astounded the first time I saw this. The set design, the crazy story, the wild acting, and the social critique were all spot on.
9. Before Sunrise/Before Sunset -A magical look at those moments when two people really connect....without being too "magical" and sentimental. Portrays the realistic aspects of life that are the basis for over-the-top romance.
8. Rear Window -one of the all time great suspense films. Initiated my love of classic cinema. Also has a fantastic sound design.
7. Yojimbo -one of the sources of the modern anti-hero. A great story told with aplomb by master director Kurosawa.
6. American Beauty -probably one of the best mainstream films dealing with the ills of suburbia. I'm not quite sure why I like this movie so much...it sits so close to movies that I don't like....yet this one stays with me.
5. Evil Dead II -a wild and zany ride. I love it for its recklessness and silliness. One of the best movies to watch with a drunken group of friends.
4. Lord of the Rings -I can't really watch these anymore, but at one point in my life they obtained a special reverence from me that no other films have. I lived and breathed these adventures as a geeky junior high/high school student.
3. 8 1/2 -I like this one just for Fellini's constant use of space and motion. The aesthetics of this film speak to me more than any sort of message or statement that may be trying to be made. Memorizing for mysterious reasons....and I eat that up!
2. Taxi Driver -a great character study of a lonely and confused man. A seemingly simple film that grows more complex with each viewing.
1. Spirited Away -Miyazaki is my favorite modern film maker and this is his masterpiece. A whirlwind of a "coming of age" story. The quirky characters and the wild scenes are balanced by quiet moments of reflection and bursts of real emotion. This movie makes me happy any time I see it. It unlocks lost memories and uncovers hidden feelings buried in my childhood. Definitely my favorite film of all time.
Gone With the Wind
Life is Beautiful
Twelve Angry Men
Inherit the Wind
Cool Hand Luke
A Clockwork Orange
Kill Bill vols. 1&2
clueless, 10 things i hate about you, and bring it on
I don't really watch movies that much, so I'm sure my list will look very different a few years from now, apart from the first 3 which I doubt will ever change.
1. Princess Mononoke
2. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy (suprised this hasn't been mentioned more often O_o)
3. Spirited Away
4. Pan's Labyrinth
5. The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe (yes, really. I thought it was the perfect adaptation of one of my most memorable books/series as a kid)
6. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
8. The Last Samurai
10. Aladdin (almost all of the Disney films are amazing, so I picked my favorite to represent them)
The mind shows only what is near the heart - Elder Edda
Doctor Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Catch me if you Can
The Road Warrior
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Feast 2: Sloppy Seconds