• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ask me about video games.

T

The Iron Giant

I did however love this game too, and it did rock my world.
sega-master-system-wonder-boy-3-the-dragons-trap.jpg

Cool! If you don't already know, SEGA recently published all the Wonder Boy games to all these consoles' download services (though I think one arcade game is missing on Wii just yet, not sure). You should check them out if you have a Wii, PS3, or 360.

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Cool! If you don't already know, SEGA recently published all the Wonder Boy games to all these consoles' download services (though I think one arcade game is missing on Wii just yet, not sure). You should check them out if you have a Wii, PS3, or 360.

I have a 360, would love to play those on it just for kicks. Of course, I'd like to go eBay and go vintage too so, it's all good.

T

The Iron Giant

Do you like Elder Scrolls games and if so which one is your favorite?
This is my favorite in the pic:
View attachment 7882

I owned Oblivion on PS3 for a short time but never got around to playing it before my ex-wife took it with her when she moved out. I haven't generally enjoyed western RPGs as much as Japanese, but there have been some exceptions. I haven't played Skyrim at all.

Ricin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
SEXY
Enneagram
hot
hmm...
<_<
>_>

So, if someone had idea's for games and very limited programing knowledge how much of a chance would they have at designing a gaming structure?

Like me. I understand things like frame rates and execution from a standpoint of a player. And things like the gravity acceleration in games like megaman [where it's programmed so that the longer duration you're "in the air" (which sometimes has interesting exceptions as far as what's considered grounded and what's in the air because certain objects you can stand on but aren't considered "ground" so your in air) the faster you fall speed increases. Some games do with and have a terminal velocity added to it).

But despite understanding the effects of the programming I don't know how it's programmed [like the code and all that jazz]. Just things like such and such will take said amount of frames to pull off.

So, say I have an idea for a game, then think of a company that makes similar games or their style of games [like the feel (how it responds and controls etc), look, and other factors] is something that would make said game idea great. How hard is it to try to sell this idea and become part of the project [knowing full and well I don't know shit 'bout programmin, but just wanna see a wonderful idea come to fruitation].

Considering the idea is something that's marketable.

T

The Iron Giant

So, say I have an idea for a game, then think of a company that makes similar games or their style of games [like the feel (how it responds and controls etc), look, and other factors] is something that would make said game idea great. How hard is it to try to sell this idea and become part of the project [knowing full and well I don't know shit 'bout programmin, but just wanna see a wonderful idea come to fruitation].

For the most part, game publishers and developers do not accept such proposals. My understanding is that, most of the time, you would need to produce a prototype and then pitch it to the publisher, which would mean you would be the developer. So, you would either need programming skills or know someone who did.

With digital distribution being what it is today, success can actually come without a big traditional publisher. What I would suggest is that you find a way to pull together lots of money so you can hire a programmer to help produce a prototype for your game idea, then you can pitch that to services that will digitally distribute indie games, like Steam.

Ricin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
SEXY
Enneagram
hot
For the most part, game publishers and developers do not accept such proposals. My understanding is that, most of the time, you would need to produce a prototype and then pitch it to the publisher, which would mean you would be the developer. So, you would either need programming skills or know someone who did.

With digital distribution being what it is today, success can actually come without a big traditional publisher. What I would suggest is that you find a way to pull together lots of money so you can hire a programmer to help produce a prototype for your game idea, then you can pitch that to services that will digitally distribute indie games, like Steam.

I guess at this point I just need to learn the language of programing. I already has a basic understanding of how it works. Hit/hurt boxes, stun, frames, changing effects for gravity, lag after commands, etc.. Just would have to learn the language and what a language is capable of and then start making a prototype version to sell

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have been writing about video games, personally and professionally, for more than ten years. I'm also a collector, with a collection of more than three hundred titles, most in original packaging and some factory sealed. Ask me anything.

All on topic posts get rep!
Oh, I missed this thread before. (btw if you haven't figured it out yet, rep is just a messaging system here - no points. :) )

Please tell me if there have been any good playable turn-based or otherwise slow-paced (time-wise, not complexity-wise) strategy games released in the last 5-10 years. I don't know of any, and while I love my old heroes III/civ/pharaoh/masters of orion/etc series, the graphics are pretty old and they get buggy with windows xp and later.

Why does it seem like all new video games recently are either MMOs or shooting games? Super annoying.

T

The Iron Giant

How do you feel about fan-made localizations, or the old-school hacking scenes in general?

I love a lot of what I've seen. The playthrough I did of Final Fantasy V was a fan localization, and it was excellent. This was before the game had been brought to the US in any way. I think that this kind of hacking, like mods, can really extend the life of games a lot.

T

The Iron Giant

if you haven't figured it out yet, rep is just a messaging system here - no points

I assumed people liked them, so I've been giving them out like candy.

Please tell me if there have been any good playable turn-based or otherwise slow-paced (time-wise, not complexity-wise) strategy games released in the last 5-10 years. I don't know of any

All the ones I know of are on handheld game systems: DS and PSP. You're talking about PC games, so I assume that's not OK?

while I love my old heroes III/civ/pharaoh/masters of orion/etc series, the graphics are pretty old and they get buggy with windows xp and later.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/heroes_of_might_and_magic_3_complete_edition
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/master_of_orion_1_2
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/master_of_orion_3

Those will fix your buggy behavior, but the graphics will still be old. :)

I'll also recommend WarCraft III. It's just over 10 years old now I think, but the graphics hold up pretty well, I think, and the gameplay is still great. It runs fine still in Windows, though there are issues with the newest versions of MacOS, which have removed Rosetta support. While it's real-time instead of turn-based, the difficulty sliders are so detailed that you can really tune it very precisely.

Why does it seem like all new video games recently are either MMOs or shooting games? Super annoying.

They're the ones that get the most press, I think. I don't play either.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Stevie! Where ya been, bro? You've missed a lot of kick ass action.

But--I must ask--since we're on the topic of vidya games:

Are you going to purchase and download the Marvel Vs. Capcom Origins when it is released?
Because I think you should. This series is the best of the fighting games, IMO.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
hmm...
<_<
>_>

So, if someone had idea's for games and very limited programing knowledge how much of a chance would they have at designing a gaming structure?

Like me. I understand things like frame rates and execution from a standpoint of a player. And things like the gravity acceleration in games like megaman [where it's programmed so that the longer duration you're "in the air" (which sometimes has interesting exceptions as far as what's considered grounded and what's in the air because certain objects you can stand on but aren't considered "ground" so your in air) the faster you fall speed increases. Some games do with and have a terminal velocity added to it).

But despite understanding the effects of the programming I don't know how it's programmed [like the code and all that jazz]. Just things like such and such will take said amount of frames to pull off.

Considering the idea is something that's marketable.

I used to make games when I was a kid, on the old Apple IIc. I'd say programming is not the hard part.

I'd recommend trying out a game building engine so you can get a sense of how to accomplish things through scripting. There's a few out there that let you plug in things to make a simple game. This is important because it lets you understand all the illusions - because that's really what a game is, a series of visual illusions. To the engine, it's all numbers.

Once you know what you want to do and how to visualize it in the way a computer might look at it, then you can go on to figuring out how to implement it.

Basically learn the tricks and what makes a game, then learn the programming. Most of the actual programming is in making the game engine rather than the game. Like Portal and Half Life 2 both run on the Source Engine. You can even cheat guns from Half Life into Portal because they are actually close to the same game, but with different assets and scripting. Usually you do not have to reinvent the wheel. There's also open source engines available to use.

T

The Iron Giant

Stevie! Where ya been, bro? You've missed a lot of kick ass action.

I kind of burned out and took a break. Do I even want to know what happened?

But--I must ask--since we're on the topic of vidya games:

Are you going to purchase and download the Marvel Vs. Capcom Origins when it is released?
Because I think you should. This series is the best of the fighting games, IMO.

I don't think I've played any of those, and I wasn't aware of the Origins game. I played Tatsunoko vs Capcom for review when that came out, though. I thought that was a lot of fun. I have a friend who's more of a hardcore fighting game guy than I am. He seems to love the MvC series, maybe even more than Street Fighter. I have a brother who's a serious Tekken player as well.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Oh, I missed this thread before. (btw if you haven't figured it out yet, rep is just a messaging system here - no points. :) )

Please tell me if there have been any good playable turn-based or otherwise slow-paced (time-wise, not complexity-wise) strategy games released in the last 5-10 years. I don't know of any, and while I love my old heroes III/civ/pharaoh/masters of orion/etc series, the graphics are pretty old and they get buggy with windows xp and later.

Turn based strategy has pretty much gone the way of the rogue-like. That is to say it's pretty much become the fare of indie developers, and Japan.

T

The Iron Giant

A piece of advice for my fellow gamers. If you want to experience something remarkable, and probably laugh and cry quite a bit, try this.

It's a point and click adventure and some very light RPG elements, but it's more interactive fiction than game, and it will probably take you less than four hours, but I found it riveting and powerful. I bought and downloaded it late last night and played it straight through without stopping.

I think you can tell from watching this trailer if it's your kind of game. It came out last November but just launched on Steam, and it's on sale. The collector's edition download comes with a 33-track soundtrack, and is totally worth the extra two dollars.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
A piece of advice for my fellow gamers. If you want to experience something remarkable, and probably laugh and cry quite a bit, try this.

It's a point and click adventure and some very light RPG elements, but it's more interactive fiction than game, and it will probably take you less than four hours, but I found it riveting and powerful. I bought and downloaded it late last night and played it straight through without stopping.

I think you can tell from watching this trailer if it's your kind of game. It came out last November but just launched on Steam, and it's on sale. The collector's edition download comes with a 33-track soundtrack, and is totally worth the extra two dollars.

Yeah I saw that browsing Steam. It's definitely on my list. I think I need something like this a little bit.