User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    Video games have to grow up a bit. Women in gaming have to pass the Bechdel test much more than they do now, for example. We also need to see less screenshots in games like this.

I think there's shades of grey here. There's games/characters that do cater to all kinds of markets. Case in point:

Lara Croft's evolution over the years has seen less sexualization:

I think we've seen a shift towards better characterization and less sexualization in some games - but yeah, there's worse stuff out there than ME.

Games like GTA, Duke Nukem come to mind as probably the worst when it comes to portrayal of women.

On the flip, we also have games like Alice McGee with no sexualization of the female protagonist:

I used to love the original Phantasmagoria for some reason. Yeah, it had a sex scene in it, but it was part of a decently portrayed plot line without over-sexualization of the character itself. Oh .. and then there's The Sims which is as close to a gender neutral game as one is ever going to get.

Overall, I think many developers do go into creation of games with the intent of sexualizing female characters as opposed to giving them fleshed out characters [no pun intended] --- but there are still games that do focus on characters. There have been some very positively portrayed female characters in games: That female character from "The Longest Journey" -- I think April Ryan was her name or something comes to mind.

In fact, I think some developers actually focus more on positive feminine portrayal when they really set their mind to it --- whereas, I cannot remember a single game where the male protagonist showed any sign of anything other than brute strength force or wanting to wreak massive havoc to get the job done. Barring of course the point and click adventure games of the past - which just aren't popular any more. Oh -- and yeah, Alan Wake was a pretty decent male protagonist as well.

That said, I would say there are greater chances of women getting better portrayals in video games in the future as opposed to men who will probably always suffer from being shown as macho men on roids.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Dear Stephen,

What do you think about this cutscene from God of War 3?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pt7MdLDd2A

Also, Hercules is voiced by Kevin Sorbo (which maximizes the lolz, in my opinion).

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    SLI

Infamous I & II!

Sing its praise. Go.

The Iron Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Duck_of_Death View Post
    Dear Stephen,

What do you think about this cutscene from God of War 3?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pt7MdLDd2A

Also, Hercules is voiced by Kevin Sorbo (which maximizes the lolz, in my opinion).
    I think it's pretty typical of the franchise. I was impressed with the kills in the first God of War, but the more they do it, the less shocking or surprising it is. Though, when it started, I went, "oh no not Hercules tooooooo"

The Iron Giant

Quote Originally Posted by khys View Post
    Infamous I & II!

Sing its praise. Go.
    Infamous sure is... average. :p

I've only played a few hours though, I got it free through PS Plus. I haven't played the second. My older brother is a big fan though.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    I think it's pretty typical of the franchise. I was impressed with the kills in the first God of War, but the more they do it, the less shocking or surprising it is. Though, when it started, I went, "oh no not Hercules tooooooo"
    Did you know that Hercules was voiced by Kevin Sorbo?
    I laughed my ass off once I found that out.

I also enjoy the over-the-top violence, same as with the GTA series.
    The two franchises merge EVERYTHING that is wrong with contemporary American culture.
    The video game business, too. And they're the only two ongoing series that actually "get it".

The Iron Giant

Did you know that Hercules was voiced by Kevin Sorbo?
    I laughed my ass off once I found that out.

I also enjoy the over-the-top violence, same as with the GTA series.
    The two franchises merge EVERYTHING that is wrong with contemporary American culture.
    The video game business, too. And they're the only two ongoing series that actually "get it".
    I didn't know it was until you said so, but that is pretty hilarious. Have you played MadWorld?

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

I was interested at the time (God knows the Wii didn't have library when it was released).
    Never played it, though.

What's it about? Blood and guts in black and white?

facettes de la petite mor Words of Ivory's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

MadWorld is fun to look at, but a bit pants to play. It's just a mindless gore-fest.

And this is coming from someone who religiously covets Platinum Games' work. They are probably *the* best japanese games developer in the industry right now.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Life calls out the meaning of pure jubilance,
    if you'll only take the time to hear it."
    ~ Words of Ivory ~

The Iron Giant

I was interested at the time (God knows the Wii didn't have library when it was released).
    Never played it, though.

What's it about? Blood and guts in black and white?
    It's like playing a super-violent graphic novel where the only inks they used are black and red. Lots of absurd melee and environmental kills with really funny play by play voice overs by John Dimaggio and Greg Proops.