User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

But you don't have a Vita.
    A-ha! You're not the coolest kid on the street anymore.

The Iron Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Duck_of_Death View Post
    But you don't have a Vita.
    A-ha! You're not the coolest kid on the street anymore.
    I don't eat nuts, why would I need something to smash them with?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    I have an Atari VCS, the six switch wood panel model (pre 2600 branding), in a licensed platform storage case with smoke colored cover.
    Hehehe .... Noice! This was my first ever experience with video games

I think we've also kept our original Atari locked up somewhere. It even had the gun and the wheel controllers Dunno which version it was though. I think it was one of the first ever [My dad bought it in the late 70's].

He is a tech nut [ESTJ - who can blame him xD]

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

I love video games, they are interactive imagination...outside of a little lucid dreaming of course.

I used to have a love for sandbox games and to an extent I still do, but these days I find myself hankering after a good story; more than anything I love a good narrative. Games have this bizarre way of taking tried and tested cliches and tropes and then fashioning them into something palatable and sometimes brilliant.

I wonder when they will start being taken seriously as a medium for story telling? Well actually I suspect they already are, im sure I read something along those lines a while back...maybe some awards were given, I cant remember.

Meh my questions are always so....average and have usually been considered into the dust.

Oh yeah, music is another one, I love sound in general. A well composed theme or bit of music has the power to change the entire mood, setting and meaning of a narrative structure.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

The Iron Giant

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    I wonder when they will start being taken seriously as a medium for story telling? Well actually I suspect they already are, im sure I read something along those lines a while back...maybe some awards were given, I cant remember.
    Many video game publications come up with their own set of awards every year. I don't think video games have managed to tell a compelling story yet. Part of the problem, I think, is a conflict between the concepts of storytelling and interactive play. If playing the game doesn't change the story, it kind of defeats the purpose of it being a game, and if it does, it dilutes the story, because decisions have to be made on where the story goes. I find the most memorable stories in video games to be pretty simplistic, with minimal dialogue (if at all), because it entices us to fill in the blanks with our imaginations. Look at Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross. Cross definitely had the more complex story, and even the better localization... but really, which is the better, more memorable game?

Video games have to grow up a bit. Women in gaming have to pass the Bechdel test much more than they do now, for example. We also need to see less screenshots in games like this.

This comes from Mass Effect 2, a game that is considered one of the finest storytelling achievements in gaming.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    Video games have to grow up a bit. Women in gaming have to pass the Bechdel test much more than they do now, for example.
    Agreed. Batman: Arkham City is a prime example of this. And it pisses me off because I rarely see women as hot as Catwoman walking around in real life.

Then again, that game was unapologetically misogynistic in nature.
    It sure was is fun to play, though.

facettes de la petite mor Words of Ivory's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

This generation of consoles is swiftly coming to an end, and the next generation of consoles are quickly approaching. Nintendo is priming up for the release of the Wii U, and many believe that next year will be the year that we will see new consoles from both Microsoft and Sony.

What's your opinion of this generation? Taking the Big Three individually, what do you think their biggest achievements and biggest mistakes were, and what do you want to see out of them in the forthcoming generation?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Life calls out the meaning of pure jubilance,
    if you'll only take the time to hear it."
    ~ Words of Ivory ~

The Iron Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Words of Ivory View Post
    What's your opinion of this generation? Taking the Big Three individual, what do you think they're biggest achievement and biggest mistakes were, and what do you want to see out of them in the forthcoming generation of hardware?
    Nintendo did a great job of taking the lead this generation by lowballing the tech and going high concept. Fans and haters alike lamented the lack of any kind of comparative horsepower to the other systems while Nintendo made buckets of cash by selling 2001 tech for many times its value more than a decade later. Some of my favorite games this generation came only to Wii, and I'll probably always be a Nintendo fan, but I always wished they looked as good as the games I was playing on PS3. But I can't imagine a serious gamer having just a Wii. So many great games came to PS3 and 360 but completely bypassed Wii. I think that will happen again next generation, because now the Wii U is like a PS3, but the other two consoles will probably be leaps and bounds beyond that.

Microsoft held the line pretty well through a combination of shitty craftsmanship (a console that self-destructed in a year often got replaced by the consumer who either didn't know they could get it fixed or didn't care to wait) and giving away consoles by the thousands all over the place. There is not a single 360 exclusive this generation that I think is worth the purchase of the console. Kinect is a disaster. If you're an avid online gamer, it was really your only option for most of this generation, provided you were willing to pay for it. I think Microsoft will integrate Kinect into their next console but not make it the default controller. Aside from that, all they will do is bump up the power of the console.

Sony spent most of this generation starving because they made the console too expensive to build. Then they fragmented the userbase every few months with different models. My launch model PS3 is fully backwards compatible, and I spent $450 to buy it refurbished in the summer of 2007 when it was discontinued. Modern PS3s can't play PS2 games natively at all. They took away other features over time, like Linux support, incurring the wrath of hacking teams that gave consumers the means to play pirated games on their console. Still, I love my PS3. I play tons of games on it, I watch Blu-Ray movies on it, and sometimes I even play online games for free. PS Plus is a great deal, but should have been there years ago. I think Sony will put all these features into PS4, bump up the power of the system, and I'd bet right now they're working on shoehorning a screen into their DualShock 4.

facettes de la petite mor Words of Ivory's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Pretty much my thoughts word for word.

Have you had the pleasure of playing Xenoblade Chronicles yet?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Life calls out the meaning of pure jubilance,
    if you'll only take the time to hear it."
    ~ Words of Ivory ~

The Iron Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Words of Ivory View Post
    Pretty much my thoughts word for word.

Have you had the pleasure of playing Xenoblade Chronicles yet?
    Yep! Working on it now. It's surprisingly challenging, I think I'm still getting the hang of combat.