User Tag List

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Default Up and coming MMO: Wildstar

An up and coming brand new MMO is being developped as we speak, and we have none other than legendary Tim Cain to thank for it!

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF7FC43U_vo"]Wildstar[/YOUTUBE]

Tim Cain, notoriously famous for being a true RPG fanatic, with titles such as Fallout, Arcanum, Temple of Elemental Evil and other extremely well made fantasy RPG games under his belt, has been working for the past six or seven years on the MMO that is now known as Wildstar!

Known for his love for non-linearity, intricate world designs and player ability to literally be whatever you want to be. Focusing on allowing the player to play an evil and agressive murderer or even a complete and utter pacifist that can't hurt a thing and still have a good time. This is sure to become a one of a kind MMORPG that can proudly wear the RPG tag, unlike so many of the current MMO's out there.

I for one can not wait to play this game.

Check it out (although not that much public yet):
    http://www.wildstar-online.com/

~Tim Cain fanboi hoping to spread the RPG love.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

But I'm still playing Tera!

EDIT: Okay, I signed up for the beta.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    But I'm still playing Tera!
    It is still in development, you have plenty of time to tie up your activities in Tera and move to the best MMO ever.

I'm so buzzed! I mean, Tim Cain working on an MMO. Omgosh! If anyone can save the MMO genre, it would be him!

EDIT: Okay, I signed up for the beta.
    Was also the first thing I did.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

lol... "save" might be a little optimistic. It's a maturing industry at this point, I'm not expecting to see any radical departures in basic playing style, although the more flexibility and AI adjustment of world to character choices, the better. They're still having trouble breaking out of the "accrue points / level up" mode, because it provides quick rewards for playtime.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Senor Membrae Eugene Watson VIII's Avatar
    MBTI
    iSFP
    Enneagram
    idk sp

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

lol... "save" might be a little optimistic. It's a maturing industry at this point, I'm not expecting to see any radical departures in basic playing style, although the more flexibility and AI adjustment of world to character choices, the better. They're still having trouble breaking out of the "accrue points / level up" mode, because it provides quick rewards for playtime.
    I think you might be surprised. I don't know how much of a hand Tim Cain has in this title per se. But I once saw an interview where he mentioned he was working on a then unnamed MMO and foreshadowed some major RPG elements that MMO would adhere too, making it truely one of a kind.

And to me, MMORPG without good RPG is just an MMO, so as far as saving the MMORPG branch, yeah, I'm thinking it truely will.

Ofcourse, all I'm really asking for is a supervised roleplaying server with actual rules and regulations. If they can establish and maintain a roleplaying community, they would already win me over and I'll be a happy puppy!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiOseZt_dDo"]gameplay[/YOUTUBE]

You talk to other people over long distances using a sort of cellphone like mechanic. How cool is that for RP!

Although for a creative writer, that guy isn't much of a talker. INTP probably. :P

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiOseZt_dDo"]gameplay[/YOUTUBE]

You talk to other people over long distances using a sort of cellphone like mechanic. How cool is that for RP!
    The game itself looks a lot like WoW. Do you know if they plan on changing that? (I didn't watch the whole video.)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I made it to about the 3rd page of the beta sign-up before all the preliminary questions made me lose interest.
    "I'm just here so I won't get fined."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    The game itself looks a lot like WoW. Do you know if they plan on changing that? (I didn't watch the whole video.)
    You mean the cartoonish art style? No, I think it works well for MMO's personally.

As for gampeplay, it wil be quite a bit different. Rather than classes you pick paths, that also influence how you deal with the world and the quests you will follow. Unlike WoW where the world is very general oriented and the classes just defines your combat style. I think that's a really cool difference between the two. The above movie just shows the very first part of the game, from what I've read, the game becomes much more open after that.