User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should Pixar make me their new creative consultant?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 47.06%
  • No

9 52.94%
123 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Thumbs up Should Pixar make me their new creative consultant?

Ah yes, Pixar. This computer animation studio began life as a computer graphics division of Lucasfilm in 1979, and alongside Industrial Light and Magic, achieved such breakthroughs as the first fully computer-generated sequence with the Genesis effect in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan in 1982, and the first fully computer generated character in a live action film with the stained-glass knight in Young Sherlock Holmes in 1985, the latter of which earned an Academy Award® nomination for Best Visual Effects in 1986.

After Mr. George Lucas made some rather questionable business decisions around the mid-'80s (I'm looking at you, Howard the Duck), resulting in unprecedented financial loss, St. George agreed to sell Lucasfilm's Pixar assets to Steve Jobs of Apple Computer, Inc.

Under the command of Steve Jobs, Pixar went on to create its first animated film, Luxo, Jr., a two-minute short that premiered at SIGGRAPH in 1986 to demonstrate the company's technological capabilities. And the iconic lamp in the studio's logo was born.

The short went on to receive an Academy Award nomination for Best Animated Short Film, becoming the first computer-animated film to do so.

Throughout the early '90s, Pixar was contracted to work on the animation of various computer-animated commercials before entering a three-picture deal with Disney at an estimated cost of $26 million. Among this three-picture deal was the first full-length computer animated feature, distributed by Disney in 1995. That film was called Toy Story.

The other two films in the three-picture deal were A Bug's Life in 1998, and Toy Story 2 in 1999. The studio went on to create Monsters, Inc., Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, and Cars before its acquisition by Disney in 2006, where they would then create Ratatouille, WALL-E, Up, Cars 2, and Brave.

But I don't care about any of this one bit.

In the past few years, Pixar has gone from taking risks -- envisioning stories with creative premises and superb execution -- to catering to the public, namely with Cars 2 and Brave, and to a certain extent, the original Cars, which, up until Cars 2, was Pixar's weakest movie. The former of which was just a subpar computer-animated movie, reminiscent of the work of the rival studio Dreamworks Animation, the latter a politically correct feminist tale made in response to feminist protests, and one which I am sure that Dreamworks will try to copy off of.

I have already pitched a few ideas on how to get Pixar to take risks again, like how about a more mature computer-animated movie, such as a vampire movie, with blood and sex? Or how about the first video-game adaptation that is actually a good idea? I am, of course referring to an adaptation of the arcade game Frogger, which, in cinematic form, could be played like a fairy tale about a frog that can't swim. And I've got plenty of other ideas.

So I ask, should Pixar make me their new creative consultant?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

No, I wouldn't imagine your style being a good match for Pixar's established style. Why not make your own production company?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    No, I wouldn't imagine your style being a good match for Pixar's established style. Why not make your own production company?
    This is exactly what I'm talking about -- taking risks. Changing the established style!

And of course, my idea for a vampire movie would be released under Disney's Touchstone banner, possibly with a more mature-looking logo for Pixar -- such as a black background with red lettering.

But serious computer-animated horror movies really have potential! Fuck the kids (not in the pedophile sense), let's take computer animation seriously!

(And I'm too cheap to finance my own production company.)

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    This is exactly what I'm talking about -- taking risks. Changing the established style!

And of course, my idea for a vampire movie would be released under Disney's Touchstone banner, possibly with a more mature-looking logo for Pixar -- such as a black background with red lettering.

But serious computer-animated horror movies really have potential! Fuck the kids (not in the pedophile sense), let's take computer animation seriously!
    I don't think Pixar's business goals involve changing the audience demographic so radically.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Just imagine a teaser trailer for Pixar's Frogger, though. The frog leaps leaps across the street in heavy traffic, then hops on the logs and slips and falls in the water. And then...it finds out that it can't swim! And then we get the title card Frogger: The Movie! Find out the rest of the story in Summer 2013!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Thus far, two people have vision, and two people do not.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

It never ceases to boggle my mind that juvenile bloodshed and buxom babes are considered 'mature'. Not that I don't enjoy them... but when I do I know that I'm being anything but mature. I actually haven't followed Pixar since Cars. I did enjoy their movies much more than anything Dreamworks or Disney proper put out.. but still, there was something kind of missing. I'm sad Miyazaki is not making movies anymore.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    It never ceases to boggle my mind that juvenile bloodshed and buxom babes are considered 'mature'. Not that I don't enjoy them... but when I do I know that I'm being anything but mature. I actually haven't followed Pixar since Cars. I did enjoy their movies much more than anything Dreamworks or Disney proper put out.. but still, there was something kind of missing. I'm sad Miyazaki is not making movies anymore.
    Do you or do you not want to see CG boobies in a Pixar movie? (Remember Syndrome's secretary The Incredibles? You know the animators wanted to show more!!! And probably the same with Violet, as well.)

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    Do you or do you not want to see CG boobies?
    Eh.. nah. If you haven't noticed, there's no shortage of boobies in North America. If it isn't enough for you, just get yourself a copy of a Japanese beach volleyball game, it should satisfy you and probably give you whiplash.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I, Qlip, of sound mind and sound body hereby state that I wouldn't approve of U being in charge of anything, really. At least not until he gets more handsomer.