• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Should Pixar make me their new creative consultant?

Should Pixar make me their new creative consultant?

• Total voters

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ah yes, Pixar. This computer animation studio began life as a computer graphics division of Lucasfilm in 1979, and alongside Industrial Light and Magic, achieved such breakthroughs as the first fully computer-generated sequence with the Genesis effect in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan in 1982, and the first fully computer generated character in a live action film with the stained-glass knight in Young Sherlock Holmes in 1985, the latter of which earned an Academy Award® nomination for Best Visual Effects in 1986.

After Mr. George Lucas made some rather questionable business decisions around the mid-'80s (I'm looking at you, Howard the Duck), resulting in unprecedented financial loss, St. George agreed to sell Lucasfilm's Pixar assets to Steve Jobs of Apple Computer, Inc.

Under the command of Steve Jobs, Pixar went on to create its first animated film, Luxo, Jr., a two-minute short that premiered at SIGGRAPH in 1986 to demonstrate the company's technological capabilities. And the iconic lamp in the studio's logo was born.

The short went on to receive an Academy Award nomination for Best Animated Short Film, becoming the first computer-animated film to do so.

Throughout the early '90s, Pixar was contracted to work on the animation of various computer-animated commercials before entering a three-picture deal with Disney at an estimated cost of $26 million. Among this three-picture deal was the first full-length computer animated feature, distributed by Disney in 1995. That film was called Toy Story.

The other two films in the three-picture deal were A Bug's Life in 1998, and Toy Story 2 in 1999. The studio went on to create Monsters, Inc., Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, and Cars before its acquisition by Disney in 2006, where they would then create Ratatouille, WALL-E, Up, Cars 2, and Brave.

But I don't care about any of this one bit.

In the past few years, Pixar has gone from taking risks -- envisioning stories with creative premises and superb execution -- to catering to the public, namely with Cars 2 and Brave, and to a certain extent, the original Cars, which, up until Cars 2, was Pixar's weakest movie. The former of which was just a subpar computer-animated movie, reminiscent of the work of the rival studio Dreamworks Animation, the latter a politically correct feminist tale made in response to feminist protests, and one which I am sure that Dreamworks will try to copy off of.

I have already pitched a few ideas on how to get Pixar to take risks again, like how about a more mature computer-animated movie, such as a vampire movie, with blood and sex? Or how about the first video-game adaptation that is actually a good idea? I am, of course referring to an adaptation of the arcade game Frogger, which, in cinematic form, could be played like a fairy tale about a frog that can't swim. And I've got plenty of other ideas.

So I ask, should Pixar make me their new creative consultant?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No, I wouldn't imagine your style being a good match for Pixar's established style. Why not make your own production company?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, I wouldn't imagine your style being a good match for Pixar's established style. Why not make your own production company?

This is exactly what I'm talking about -- taking risks. Changing the established style!

And of course, my idea for a vampire movie would be released under Disney's Touchstone banner, possibly with a more mature-looking logo for Pixar -- such as a black background with red lettering.

But serious computer-animated horror movies really have potential! Fuck the kids (not in the pedophile sense), let's take computer animation seriously!

(And I'm too cheap to finance my own production company.)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is exactly what I'm talking about -- taking risks. Changing the established style!

And of course, my idea for a vampire movie would be released under Disney's Touchstone banner, possibly with a more mature-looking logo for Pixar -- such as a black background with red lettering.

But serious computer-animated horror movies really have potential! Fuck the kids (not in the pedophile sense), let's take computer animation seriously!

I don't think Pixar's business goals involve changing the audience demographic so radically.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just imagine a teaser trailer for Pixar's Frogger, though. The frog leaps leaps across the street in heavy traffic, then hops on the logs and slips and falls in the water. And then...it finds out that it can't swim! And then we get the title card Frogger: The Movie! Find out the rest of the story in Summer 2013!

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thus far, two people have vision, and two people do not.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It never ceases to boggle my mind that juvenile bloodshed and buxom babes are considered 'mature'. Not that I don't enjoy them... but when I do I know that I'm being anything but mature. I actually haven't followed Pixar since Cars. I did enjoy their movies much more than anything Dreamworks or Disney proper put out.. but still, there was something kind of missing. I'm sad Miyazaki is not making movies anymore.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It never ceases to boggle my mind that juvenile bloodshed and buxom babes are considered 'mature'. Not that I don't enjoy them... but when I do I know that I'm being anything but mature. I actually haven't followed Pixar since Cars. I did enjoy their movies much more than anything Dreamworks or Disney proper put out.. but still, there was something kind of missing. I'm sad Miyazaki is not making movies anymore.

Do you or do you not want to see CG boobies in a Pixar movie? (Remember Syndrome's secretary The Incredibles? You know the animators wanted to show more!!! And probably the same with Violet, as well.)

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you or do you not want to see CG boobies?

Eh.. nah. If you haven't noticed, there's no shortage of boobies in North America. If it isn't enough for you, just get yourself a copy of a Japanese beach volleyball game, it should satisfy you and probably give you whiplash.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I, Qlip, of sound mind and sound body hereby state that I wouldn't approve of U being in charge of anything, really. At least not until he gets more handsomer.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do not bring plastic surgery up in this thread.

Plastic surgery is a terrible idea for a Pixar movie. Considering their recent outings are skin deep, anyway, I find such an idea counterproductive. Pixar's Nip/Tuck? Come on!

Viridian

MBTI Type
IsFJ
Wouldn't making a vampire movie be more "following the bandwagon" and less "orginal artistic vision"?

I do agree that there needs to be a more prominent non-for-the-whole-family animation industry sector, though I think "sex and boobs" isn't exactly what I have in mind when I think of "mature". The medium has so much potential!

Also, can you really criticize Brave without having seen it? How can you tell it's a "politically correct" movie and not just one with a female protagonist?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wouldn't making a vampire movie be more "following the bandwagon" and less "orginal artistic vision"?

Within the context of a Pixar movie, or any mainstream big-budget computer animated movie (I'm not counting those stupid Japanese movies), for that matter, you're damn right it would be original.

I do agree that there needs to be a more prominent non-for-the-whole-family animation industry sector, though I think "sex and boobs" isn't exactly what I have in mind when I think of "mature". The medium has so much potential!

Mature content doesn't always mean "mature."

Also, can you really criticize Brave without having seen it? How can you tell it's a "politically correct" movie and not just one with a female protagonist?

I know a bit about its development.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you or do you not want to see CG boobies in a Pixar movie? (Remember Syndrome's secretary The Incredibles? You know the animators wanted to show more!!! And probably the same with Violet, as well.)

She wasn't his 'secretary,' she was his office manager, and since she was an SP-style INFJ, "boobies" would have been entirely inappropriate for her character. So far you are not inspiring much confidence.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

ironically, the best thing about Brave was its honest depiction of a volatile mother-daughter relationship. Typically Disney movies axe the mother so that she never appears in the movie, and Pixar's gone either way (Finding Nemo hinges on an incident that robs the family of their mother; and on the other end, I think Helen Parr in The Incredibles was probably the best, most realistic animated mom I've seen). So I think bitching about the fact that the movie focuses on a female heroine and her relationship with her mother as the core conflict of the movie is in essence criticizing one of the most original things done in an American animated movie for quite some time, rather than it being part of "convention."

I had other bones to pick with the movie, which basically are just that a lot of the wit was dumbed down, the witch wasn't very memorable but cobbled together from various similar characters we've already seen, and the movie doesn't really seem to go anywhere plot-wise. It seems much shorter than it was. Many of the secondary characters just were not very distinctive and ended up being painted entirely as buffoons rather than having nuance in their character.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would say that Pixar should make a movie called Real Dolls, but it's probably better suited as Dreamworks' cheap knockoff of Toy Story.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would say that Pixar should make a movie called Real Dolls, but it's probably better suited as Dreamworks' cheap knockoff of Toy Story.

Maybe Ralph Bakshi will hire you on as a consultant, if he picks up the concept. :smile:

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How about a sincere computer-animated biopic? And by sincere, I don't mean tacky like Pocahontas.

How about an animated biopic of Walt Disney?!?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How about a sincere computer-animated biopic? And by sincere, I don't mean tacky like Pocahontas.

How about an animated biopic of Walt Disney?!?

Rofl! Okay, you've got a lot of panache , that's good for something. :)

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Pixar should keep making funny family movies like they have been doing in my opinion. :p

I'm secretly hoping blizzard cinematics will make some cool movies. As far as animation goes, they've always been top notch.