User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should Pixar make me their new creative consultant?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 47.06%
  • No

9 52.94%
First 1234 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

So many people are afraid of change.

I don't think the moviegoing public in the USA will embrace animation as an adult medium to the degree that would be required to make a Pixar-level production financially viable. Yeah, some adults like Japanese anime and some like Bashki-style stuff, and some (like me) enjoy going to Pixar movies even without kids. But all of those people are a minority. Overwhelmingly, "cartoons are for kids".

Besides, it would be an extremely stupid business move for Pixar. They've done one of the hardest things a company can do...they've made their name a brand synonymous with a specific kind of movie that people can trust. Parents can see that there is a new Pixar movie and they immediately know they can (and should) take their kids to it. Not only that, but the quality of their films is consistently high and far exceeds the hit-to-miss ratio of any other production company. What you're suggesting is akin to telling Coke to stop making so much cola and maybe make some iced tea instead, simply because you're bored of cola. Why? People want so much cola that they can't make it fast enough.

The only way this could possibly work is for Pixar to spin off its own adult-themed distribution arm like Disney did in creating Touchstone, and to slash the budgets. But even then I think it would be a colossal disaster...lower budgets would reduce the quality of the films and tarnish the Pixar name, and the well-established cultural idea of cartoons being for kids would make this a niche market at best.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ISTx

Thought there was a real job offer on the table or something. Thread fail.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Oh, what a surprise, Ivy thinks it's a bad idea. Do I sense a personal grudge?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I don't think the moviegoing public in the USA will embrace animation as an adult medium to the degree that would be required to make a Pixar-level production financially viable. Yeah, some adults like Japanese anime and some like Bashki-style stuff, and some (like me) enjoy going to Pixar movies even without kids. But all of those people are a minority. Overwhelmingly, "cartoons are for kids".

Besides, it would be an extremely stupid business move for Pixar. They've done one of the hardest things a company can do...they've made their name a brand synonymous with a specific kind of movie that people can trust. Parents can see that there is a new Pixar movie and they immediately know they can (and should) take their kids to it. Not only that, but the quality of their films is consistently high and far exceeds the hit-to-miss ratio of any other production company. What you're suggesting is akin to telling Coke to stop making so much cola and maybe make some iced tea instead, simply because you're bored of cola. Why? People want so much cola that they can't make it fast enough.

The only way this could possibly work is for Pixar to spin off its own adult-themed distribution arm like Disney did in creating Touchstone, and to slash the budgets. But even then I think it would be a colossal disaster...lower budgets would reduce the quality of the films and tarnish the Pixar name, and the well-established cultural idea of cartoons being for kids would make this a niche market at best.
    Someone should tell these parents about the stained glass knight.

Sounds like a terrible move. I'd choose me before you, I think I'd make a great creative consultant.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    Oh, what a surprise, Ivy thinks it's a bad idea. Do I sense a personal grudge?
    Probably not.

EDIT: Well, you might sense one anyway, even if it's not there. It's not like others don't think it's a poor idea.

@EffEmDoubleyou: Yeah, what you said, in a nutshell. Honestly, the name brand is already established. It makes more sense to start a new brand than trying to change an established and very successful brand.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

If you take Beowulf as an example. It is a very good arguement that adult hollywood style animations is not going to be the norm any time soon. With production costs at 150 mil and a gross of like 90 or so, they lost out on quite a bit with making that movie.

Ofcourse something could probably be said about the high production costs. Was that really neccesary? A think a good production team could make a similar quality animation for much, much less. Then it might be feasable.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Considering they have ten movies that are, based on their critical reception, between really good and great, two movies that are just good, and one movie that is average/mediocre, it seems to me like they still have maybe the best batting average of any film production company going today. So, no, I think they're probably good.

Have you considered taking this offer somewhere where you can do even more good? Say... Dreamworks?
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Beowulf was not an animated movie. It was a performance capture movie. And it was just not very good.

None of the performance capture movies were giant hits, and that includes The Polar Express, Beowulf, A Christmas Carol, The Adventures of Tintin, and especially Mars Needs Moms. Most of these, save Beowulf, were family films. My guess is because they were unintentionally creepy.

And I am so glad Bob Zemeckis is going back to live-action with Flight.