• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"Dredd"

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Here is a trailer for the remake of Judge Dredd, a 1995 futuristic epic directed by Danny Cannon and starring Sylvester Stallone as the titular character. The film also starred Diane Lane as the female love interest, Armand Assante as the diabolical villain, and Rob Schneider as the obnoxious sidekick that you constantly hope would just die, much like Rob Schneider himself. A critical and box-office failure at the time of its release, Judge Dredd was panned for being misguided, uneven, and unfaithful to its source material, as well as shamelessly ripping off previous science fiction films that have achieved classic status, such as Blade Runner and Total Recall. But the film has since become a guilty pleasure among many for its campiness, and because it was just fun to watch!

This new one looks very promising, with stunning matte paintings, and old-school R-rated action scenes that many films of late are lacking due to studio intervention and their wishes to make a film appeal to a broader audience in order to increase ticket sales, sacrificing the hardcoreness that could make a movie great. This new film is directed by English filmmaker Pete Travis, whose credits include the 2009 television (with limited theatrical release) historical film Endgame and the fabulous 2008 political thriller Vantage Point. Karl Urban plays the titular character this time around, and while he is perfect for the role, no one can say "Law" like Sly Stallone.

Anyway, here is the wonderful trailer:

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Necromantic

I remember seeing this movie in the theater (but not in 3D) and judged (no pun intended) certain aspects of it harshly, namely the tedious location of the stupendous action scenes, but having watched it again on blu-ray, I feel like such an asshole. Dredd was a mystifying experience of unmatched ultra-violence. Yes, the movie is you'd expect from Lionsgate, nearly the only studio left that is man enough to release an R-rated movie to the general public, and boy, does Dredd have a well-deserved certification to satisfy my bloodlust. Upon realizing that the film was made on a $40 million budget, I'm willing to forgive all the claustrophobia of the action that made the first viewing feel like a TV episode, because the money was well-spent. Sadly, the movie failed to make back its budget, which means that there may not be any more Dredd movies for a while. So please, view this movie, and don't compare it to the 1995 Stallone version, which I also enjoyed, but that's another story.

Dredd also has a great soundtrack. This is one of my favorite tracks from the film:

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I loved the new one. It still had a classic feel.

KDude

I used to like the comics, and like Karl Urban, but I was skeptical that this went to vid so quickly.

KDude

Stallone's Dredd is underrated. Especially for the time. There were many more crappy comic book movies made back then. Dredd really wasn't one of them.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Ouh yes ! Stallone is unbeatable as well !

I've watched Dredd with my girlfriend lately and since we are watching every movie in english at the moment, the coolness factor was completly kept alive (watching such a movie in german would be ridiciolous :D).

Since that day my gf has put the OST on her Ipod and tends to leave in the morning with the statement "Judgement Time !" :D.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Stallone's Dredd is underrated. Especially for the time. There were many more crappy comic book movies made back then. Dredd really wasn't one of them.

I agree. It was very enjoyable to watch. Aesthetically, it reminded me of Blade Runner, except less boring.

Although, in all fairness, this film did come out a couple of years before such atrocities as Batman and Robin, Spawn, and Steel with Shaquille O'Neal, so comic book movies weren't so crappy back in 1995, only 1997. And then there was 2004, the year of Pitof's Catwoman, with Halle Berry, which, dare I say it, is worse than Batman and Robin.

KDude

I've watched Dredd with my girlfriend lately and since we are watching every movie in english at the moment, the coolness factor was completly kept alive (watching such a movie in german would be ridiciolous :D).

I would recommend watching "Cobra" in Spanish though. It's like it was meant to be made in Spanish. It seems like one of the cheesy mexican action flicks I see on Telemundo.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would recommend watching "Cobra" in Spanish though. It's like it was meant to be made in Spanish. It seems like one of the cheesy mexican action flicks I see on Telemundo.

Cobra was pretty bad-ass, too. And it's always fun to watch critics bitch about all the violence in the movie as if all they want to see in a movie is actors talking for two hours (or three hours if the film's going for an Oscar).

But still, I prefer Schwarzenegger in general, which reminds me, I'll be seeing The Last Stand either today or tomorrow...

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I think they have a second and third movie in the making of Dredd. Considering this I could live with the ending.

What was tho nice about the ending was him reporting in easily as if nothing happened to his superior. I loved the moment when she asked 'You look like you have been thru it' and he said 'The perps were unccoperative' :D

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
No, indeed not. But who knows what he has in his private rooms ? Maybe a blanket with a lot of colored unicorns on it.

Work-Life-Balance and such things :D

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Bought this movie blind on release day.
In short, I loved it.

They don't make movies like this anymore, which is a shame.

Poindexter Arachnid

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
The whole cyber punk future city thing is noticeably a false assumption of the future.

I was referring to the no-holds-barred violence and unapologetic purpose.
Kill, kill and, uh...kill some more.

I did enjoy the production design of Dredd. Peach Trees felt lived in.