User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp

Default Fifty shades of grey....

So it seems EVERYONE is talking about these fifty shades books, so I felt it would be rude not to check them out. Currently flying through the first one. Although they are no great work of literature I am finding myself addicted to the sex.

So......
    Have you read them?
    What did you think?
    Why do you think this is the first erotic fiction book to go HUGE?
    (a couple of my friends who have particularly dull sex lives read it and loved it)
    Do you think there will be a massive increase in people getting involved in the BDSM scene?

I am loving this book (ok so everytime I read 'my inner goddess' I cringe but I'm willing to forgive that) but then I love sex. I'm curious to know why this particular work of erotica has such universal appeal?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

i haven't started them yet but was planning on reading at least one of them, so I could engage in the discussion on this end. I was out with girlfriends about two weeks ago for dinner and one pulled up the book on her cell and we were making one of the other women read excerpts outline. (It was funny how quietly people read, I thought if you're going to do it, you should do it big!)

From what little I read up on the books, they were based on fan fic (Twilight?) and then expunged of all references to that trilogy, self-pubbed, then mass pubbed.

My guess is that not a lot of people are going to become true BDSM'ers, but there might be more dabblers since those truly interested just found an "entry point" per se, and the rest are just kind of living vicariously through the text.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

People enjoy reading about things they would normally not dare experience themselves, it allows them to sense and feel their position in those stories without having to face any of the consequences one might have in real life.

I've been into a roleplay/writer's scene where that was particularly obvious and common to the point of annoyance causing me to quit the scene.

I've not read these books, but from what I've read from others talking about it, it's basicly all sex. I don't understand the concept of 'all sex'. I prefer intricate stories with intricate plots and character depth and if it naturally leads to sex that's all fine and great, but one does not skip content and get away with it in my book.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INFP

I've read all three. Such an incredibly good story. I can't wait to reread them.

It's not vacuously erotic, merely written for shock value, like I'd expected. It is a modern classic of a love story.

<3 fifty

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    I've not read these books, but from what I've read from others talking about it, it's basicly all sex. I don't understand the concept of 'all sex'. I prefer intricate stories with intricate plots and character depth and if it naturally leads to sex that's all fine and great, but one does not skip content and get away with it in my book.
    not even a teensy eensy bit?

What if i were reading the books to you at an expensive suite in London's Dorchester, while trailing one neatly manicured toe in the steaming bathwater?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    not even a teensy eensy bit?

What if i were reading the books to you at an expensive suite in London's Dorchester, while trailing one neatly manicured toe in the steaming bathwater?
    You won't get past the first page. Rawr.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

These books are awful. Why does anybody read them?

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

I don't know, but I am sick of seeing facebook updates about it.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    These books are awful. Why does anybody read them?
    I'm with Ivy here.

Oddly, I was watching TV with my mother and a story about libraries banning this book came on. I said "I'm half tempted to read it, just out of curiosity." She left the room and came back with the book in hand, tossed it in my lap, and said "It's awful."

It reads like a poorly written Twilight fanfic. It's not well written, the plot was about as deep as a bathtub, and frankly - as someone who has been involved in a BDSM lifestyle - I found it to be an unhealthy relationship and a damaging image of a D/s relationship.

No bueno.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    I'm with Ivy here.

Oddly, I was watching TV with my mother and a story about libraries banning this book came on. I said "I'm half tempted to read it, just out of curiosity." She left the room and came back with the book in hand, tossed it in my lap, and said "It's awful."

It reads like a poorly written Twilight fanfic. It's not well written, the plot was about as deep as a bathtub, and frankly - as someone who has been involved in a BDSM lifestyle - I found it to be an unhealthy relationship and a damaging image of a D/s relationship.

No bueno.
    That's because it actually is poorly written Twilight fanfic.

http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat...machine_b49124