User Tag List

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default Why do we constantly need new entertainment content?

With the large catalog of movies, TV shows, music and books already produced by mankind, we could probably spend every waking moment of our lives watching, listening or reading and not repeat anything.

Yet, we get new stuff being produced and the audience is always there. This is not meant as a rant at consumerism or Hollywood, but rather I'm curious as to what primal human need this is catering to? Why do we need to have new stuff to watch/read/listen to?
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

MBTI
    IsFJ

My guess: the world changes, new viewpoints and visions emerge, art happens.

Well, that and there are people being born every minute who might have some artistic talent...
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by William K View Post
    With the large catalog of movies, TV shows, music and books already produced by mankind, we could probably spend every waking moment of our lives watching, listening or reading and not repeat anything.

Yet, we get new stuff being produced and the audience is always there. This is not meant as a rant at consumerism or Hollywood, but rather I'm curious as to what primal human need this is catering to? Why do we need to have new stuff to watch/read/listen to?
    One word: Capitalism.

But seriously: The world does change as Viridian mentioned above, and "art" reflects this.
    Take Batman for instance:

The character started out as a nod to 1930s detective serials, evolved into a philosophical discussion piece on the rising crime epidemic of the 1970s/80s and is now an allegorical figure for the post-9/11 world.

Current art reflects the culture and a culture can only be as good as its art.
    With that said, there isn't much "art" coming from Hollywood nowadays.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by William K View Post

One word: Capitalism.

But seriously: The world does change as Viridian mentioned above, and "art" reflects this.
    Take Batman for instance:

The character started out as a nod to 1930s detective serials, evolved into a philosophical discussion piece on the rising crime epidemic of the 1970s/80s and is now an allegorical figure for the post-9/11 world.

Current art reflects the culture and a culture can only be as good as its art.
    With that said, there isn't much "art" coming from Hollywood nowadays.

F CK all I need is U ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

Because. @ Thread title, it's the law.

Moments later, cut to next sequence.

INT/EXT somewhere, wherever you are, dear post reader Day/Night 2/2

You're reading this.

Stan (Voice Only) ilikeitlikethat (voice only)
    AAAAEEEEYYYUUUUGHHH!