User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Default Chess -Does it make you insane?

Just a bit of random curiousness here...

I have this issue with playing chess, it makes me feel like I'm going insane. Trying to decide the next move, my brain starts looking at all the endless permutations, if I move this pawn here, then black moves here, then.... or move the bishop, then.... or or or or spiraling further and further out of control. THERE IS NO END. And it really feels like I'm touching insanity... my brain starts going faster faster faster faster, trying to grab all the possibilities, encompass them all, grasping frantically.
    I feel totally incapable of making a decision. Anything I do will be based on incomplete data. I imagine myself slavering at the mouth like a dog with rabies. Must. know. all.
    I think chess is bad for me.

Anyone else have this issue? What function(s) would this be?
    “Can a man of perception respect himself at all?”
    ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Chess just bores me to tears because it's the same damn game over and over. I prefer strategy games like, "Command and Conquer" more.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    cool pic I like the perspective
    “Can a man of perception respect himself at all?”
    ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

I like chess. I find it relaxing. Look up a chess program that shows you the permutations 5 moves out. It will help you visualize the possibilities better. Personally, I find Go much more fascinating (more permutations).
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Banned

If you ask the same question to Bobby Fischer I bet the answer would be; No.

Enneagram

People assume I am good at chess due to my squinty eyes and lack of social graces, but I actually have no interest in it. It stresses me out, having to think that way. I wish it would go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Within View Post
    If you ask the same question to Bobby Fischer I bet the answer would be; No.
    Yet, if you look at his life, you need not ask the question.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    Chess just bores me to tears because it's the same damn game over and over. I prefer strategy games like, "Command and Conquer" more.
    Now there's a man after my own taste Even though I probably played the whole series to death.

Quote Originally Posted by raindancing View Post
    Just a bit of random curiousness here...

I have this issue with playing chess, it makes me feel like I'm going insane. Trying to decide the next move, my brain starts looking at all the endless permutations, if I move this pawn here, then black moves here, then.... or move the bishop, then.... or or or or spiraling further and further out of control. THERE IS NO END. And it really feels like I'm touching insanity... my brain starts going faster faster faster faster, trying to grab all the possibilities, encompass them all, grasping frantically.
    I feel totally incapable of making a decision. Anything I do will be based on incomplete data. I imagine myself slavering at the mouth like a dog with rabies. Must. know. all.
    I think chess is bad for me.

Anyone else have this issue? What function(s) would this be?
    Hell yes

Well, I (possibly fondly) remember a series of games I played with my ENTJ friend back then. We would play for hours and hours on end, taking minutes sometimes to consider the next move, because each one was too afraid to make a bad move, so we'd exchance pieces one by one without any gain for either party. - Quite exhausting, I can tell you. So far, the balance has been quite even though.
    Eventually, one of us would either make a careless mistake that would be exploited by the other, or neither of us would have enoug pieces left for a checkmate, and the we'd end up with a draw (quite frequent).

Somehow in my mind, chess is less of a game than more of an intelligence test, and I don't want to run the risk of being bad at it. Being bad at chess makes me feel dumb, so I often just avoid the risk by not playing.
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

-τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

@Mad Hatter

Yes, that, Fable, and KOTOR. I love those games to death.