• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Chess -Does it make you insane?

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Chess is tough, even reading a book on it didn't help for me lol. You can beat me and feel better after though :vader1:

Trunks

I'm not Trunks
i don't play chess, but i always plays dam with my dad, sometimes with other brothers.

Mia.

I adore chess. I find it relaxing, as [MENTION=15315]UniqueMixture[/MENTION] said. It is a borderline turn on.... there's something innately sexy about it as a game (nerd alert.) I used to play all the time, and recently took it up again very casually, but I'm super rusty.

The only thing I don't like about it is playing on a very tight clock. That drives me crazy. But as long as I have a decent amount of time to move in, super fun. I prefer to play on a tournament board, but also enjoy playing with more artistic sets.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Just take some adderall and then play. You'll be much quicker on your feet.

I'm usually good with or without drugs, but I've been known to get impatient and just wing it during games. That usually costs me big time, as you can imagine.

I have the same problem. I don't like to play the game as though I am a computer. It feels too restrictive and dehumanizing. However, I often get around this by thinking what sort of move I would recommend for a friend. That friend being myself lol

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Just a bit of random curiousness here...

I have this issue with playing chess, it makes me feel like I'm going insane. Trying to decide the next move, my brain starts looking at all the endless permutations, if I move this pawn here, then black moves here, then.... or move the bishop, then.... or or or or spiraling further and further out of control. THERE IS NO END. And it really feels like I'm touching insanity... my brain starts going faster faster faster faster, trying to grab all the possibilities, encompass them all, grasping frantically.
I feel totally incapable of making a decision. Anything I do will be based on incomplete data. I imagine myself slavering at the mouth like a dog with rabies. Must. know. all.
I think chess is bad for me.

Anyone else have this issue? What function(s) would this be? :shock:

Probably a non-T function. However, I'm dominant Ti and not a big fan of chess. I respect it for what it is, a game of pure logic and strategy. For me though, it's too slow moving, people take it too seriously, there gets to be a point when too much analysis takes the fun out of it. It's too much work and time to try to master it.

106990-bigthumbnail.jpg

On the other hand, I love this picture. I've got it as my desktop background.