User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chess -Does it make you insane?

Senor Membrae Array Eugene Watson VIII's Avatar
    idk sp

Chess is tough, even reading a book on it didn't help for me lol. You can beat me and feel better after though

I'm not Trunks Array

i don't play chess, but i always plays dam with my dad, sometimes with other brothers.

Senior Member Array

I adore chess. I find it relaxing, as @UniqueMixture said. It is a borderline turn on.... there's something innately sexy about it as a game (nerd alert.) I used to play all the time, and recently took it up again very casually, but I'm super rusty.

The only thing I don't like about it is playing on a very tight clock. That drives me crazy. But as long as I have a decent amount of time to move in, super fun. I prefer to play on a tournament board, but also enjoy playing with more artistic sets.

Senior Member Array UniqueMixture's Avatar
    378 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Just take some adderall and then play. You'll be much quicker on your feet.

I'm usually good with or without drugs, but I've been known to get impatient and just wing it during games. That usually costs me big time, as you can imagine.
    I have the same problem. I don't like to play the game as though I am a computer. It feels too restrictive and dehumanizing. However, I often get around this by thinking what sort of move I would recommend for a friend. That friend being myself lol
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

Honor Thy Inferior Array Such Irony's Avatar
    5w6 sp/so
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by raindancing View Post
    Just a bit of random curiousness here...

I have this issue with playing chess, it makes me feel like I'm going insane. Trying to decide the next move, my brain starts looking at all the endless permutations, if I move this pawn here, then black moves here, then.... or move the bishop, then.... or or or or spiraling further and further out of control. THERE IS NO END. And it really feels like I'm touching insanity... my brain starts going faster faster faster faster, trying to grab all the possibilities, encompass them all, grasping frantically.
    I feel totally incapable of making a decision. Anything I do will be based on incomplete data. I imagine myself slavering at the mouth like a dog with rabies. Must. know. all.
    I think chess is bad for me.

Anyone else have this issue? What function(s) would this be?
    Probably a non-T function. However, I'm dominant Ti and not a big fan of chess. I respect it for what it is, a game of pure logic and strategy. For me though, it's too slow moving, people take it too seriously, there gets to be a point when too much analysis takes the fun out of it. It's too much work and time to try to master it.

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    On the other hand, I love this picture. I've got it as my desktop background.
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Neutral Good

It makes me tingle all over.

Life is but a game of chess and your opponent is yourself.
    When all else fails, claim it's rigged.