12 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w5
    Socionics
    INFx

Default How to write a story that'll make people cry.

I've recently become a little addicted to stories that can make me cry. I'm not sure how to write a story like that though.

Things like the end of the first poke'mon movie where the poke'mon are all fighting and really don't want to be and then ash looks like he dies. [first example I thought of since it's the first movie to ever make me cry].

A great deal of batman begins is pretty sad.

Anyhow I know there needs to be a connection built into the character so the reader understands where they're coming from and what their plight is. Then something needs to be taken away from them. But it seems like there's more to it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Well, the easiest ways are fairly manipulative. Make the victim/protagonist a pure innocent: dogs and children fit this bill most of all. If it can somehow be based on a true event or use a tragedy as a backdrop or inspiration, that usually gets people going. Make sure that whatever happens to those characters (death or something worse, usually) was easily avoidable at some point earlier in the film, but only occurred because
    A) the character was forced into this position by a lack of protagonist's understanding of the situation (because they are a dog, child, or possibly old person who does not understand some modern concept. Especially great if they have naive trust in some kind of supposed authority) or occur because of a flawed larger system or antagonist (Greek tragedy style) or
    B) because of flaw in the character that is relatable and not so intense as to alienate the viewer/reader (i.e., somewhat proud, too trusting, unable to face conflict directly) causes their downfall (Shakespearean tragedy style).

Also, watch some sad stuff. Some incredibly sad movies, especially ones that do this well: When the Wind Blows, Dear Zachary (as a documentary, this one is really hard), Grave of the Fireflies, Plague Dogs, season four of the Wire.

All of those are incredibly sad but very genuine and well-done.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

Insert witty line here... Ponyboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Write what makes you cry. Edit/reread it 5 times. If your still crying, you got what you're looking for. Also, try not to mention Pokemon or Batman

Edit: Also, don't forget, Happy crying and Sad crying are different.
    I'm never wrong, I'm just sometimes less right

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Pick up a book of poems by Pablo Neruda. Pick some sad poems and write a short story on each (elaborating/speculating of what you guess is on background story behind the poem).

Pick the best short story of those you wrote and incorporate it into a weepy novel.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Anew Leaf

Write a story in which Bella and Edward die in each other's arms as the stakes of a thousand angry people rise against them.

It's sure to produce a few quarts of emo tears from each tween and unsatisfied house wife who idolizes these books.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    Write a story in which Bella and Edward die in each other's arms as the stakes of a thousand angry people rise against them.

It's sure to produce a few quarts of emo tears from each tween and unsatisfied house wife who idolizes these books.
    Do people still like Twilight? Figured it kind of died after all this Hunger Games shenanigans.
    1w9 sx/sp
    A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.

All that is gold does not glitter
    Not all those who wander are lost

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by mujigay View Post
    Do people still like Twilight? Figured it kind of died after all this Hunger Games shenanigans.
    That which is dead can never die.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    That which is dead can never die.
    What about the undead? Can it ever undie?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    What about the undead? Can it ever undie?
    You got me here.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I don't know how to write a story to make someone cry, but I know this great site: http://tvtropes.org/
    There you can read about lots of elements of stories, and then the site will take your soul and you'll never be able to leave it again. =D

Here is a page of drama: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...fImpulsiveness